Unofficial Mills

Rajars Q3 2008

Viv

According to Moyles this morning, he has "lost" yet another 200,000 listeners!

The biggest drop in audience share among the corporation's national stations was at BBC Radio 1, which saw its share of the market fall nearly a tenth to 9.8% from 10.6% a year ago.

Radio 1's overall audience was up, to 10.87 million from 10.58 million a year ago, but listeners tuned in for less time. Breakfast DJ Chris Moyles had 7.02 million listeners, down from 7.21 million in the previous three months but up from 6.98 million in the same period last year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/16/rajars-bbc

What do you think of this? I'm still enjoying the shows, but I've been finding them complacent for some time now.

What do you say?

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

The fact the figures are up from this time last year shows that Moyles' listening figures are healthy. I get the feeling it is always quieter over the summer period anyway what with the children no longer getting up early and the lack of school run. I imagine there'll be some increases next quarter.

The fact Radio 1's listeners are listening for less time is worrying. It shows that there needs to be some changes - presumably to the music. Listeners don't want to hear the same songs five times a day. I would say this is why they are listening for less time.

Someone connected with the Moyles' team was saying it may be to do with more people being made redundant, so people are not able to put in the listening time they used to do.

Yeah, that was Matt Fincham. I suppose if you don't have to get up at 6.30 for work, then even the privilege of listening to 'the Saviour of Radio 1' ain't gonna rouse you from your slumber.

I like the show, it makes me laugh, has some good features and pretty decent guests, but he really does shout too much sometimes.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Oddly enough, that's the bits I love: the shouting and the rants!

Yeah, the rants no matter how obnoxious are always entertaining! :hahaha:

Speaking as an unemployed bum myself, I rarely listen to Moyles' show all in one go when it is actually broadcast, I tend to wake up at about 7 or 8, listen for half an hour then doze off again and by the time I wake up properly the show's finished and I have to go on listen again.

The fact that figures are up from this time last year, surely there isn't an awful lot to worry about.

kyliewilson.png

Speaking as an unemployed bum myself, I rarely listen to Moyles' show all in one go when it is actually broadcast, I tend to wake up at about 7 or 8, listen for half an hour then doze off again and by the time I wake up properly the show's finished and I have to go on listen again.

I know the feeling, i am exactly the same.

To be honest i feel a bit gutted for the moyles team, i have really enjoyed their shows over the last few months, and you can tell they have been putting a lot of effort into it, its a shame.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

I'd assume you'd have more time to listen than when you did when you were employed.

If I don't have anything to get up for in the morning, I'll still be in bed at 10 o'clock. The vast majority of people who listen to Moyles will be those who are either on their way to or at work/school etc.

If I don't have anything to get up for in the morning, I'll still be in bed at 10 o'clock. The vast majority of people who listen to Moyles will be those who are either on their way to or at work/school etc.

I agree. If I'm off I can miss up to 2 hours of the Show.

For the first section of the Show you may not miss much. This morning, from 0630 hours until 0650 hours, they were not talking about much in particular. Just people whining about the Cheesy Song (how dare they).

I'm eagerly waiting for XM and Sirius here in the States to finally merge all their channels, so I can hopefully get BBC 1 Radio. It will be interesting to see what time they broadcast Moyles and Mills for American listeners.

I guess I should add that I really enjoy most of Chris Moyles stuff, although with the podcast only, I don't get to hear any of the music.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

It may be. Moyles told Dom off the other week for butting in!

Personally, I'd like more music played. The chatter can go on too long sometimes, and when Chris latches on to something he thinks is funny, sometimes I think he can overplay it. Then, suddenly, it's no longer funny. There's kind of like this fine line between funny + irritating, I think.

I'd just like some fresh energy of some kind.

There is a good chance I would feel the same way if I was listening in the UK with the whole program. There is probably heavy editing done on the weekly podcast (considering it's less than an hour a week-sorry about stating the obvious!)

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

Listeners don't want to hear the same songs five times a day. I would say this is why they are listening for less time.

They don't normally play the same song twice on one show so 3 hours apart is a fair gap I think. My theory is that the average listening time has dropped because the new listeners aren't listening for very long so I think it'll go back up.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

To be honest i feel a bit gutted for the moyles team, i have really enjoyed their shows over the last few months, and you can tell they have been putting a lot of effort into it, its a shame.

I agree, I could see why the show's figures went down after the last quarter because I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much. Now howver I'm enjoying the show as much as ever, and LA was fantastic.

and when Chris latches on to something he thinks is funny, sometimes I think he can overplay it. Then, suddenly, it's no longer funny. There's kind of like this fine line between funny + irritating, I think.

He's always done this, especially with sound clips. It can be slightly annoying at times but I don't find it an issue.

As Jono said the figures are still healthy, but I feel for the guys, you can hear they've been trying hard to get the listners back. But if you look back over the years I'm sure Wogan had dips. However, I think if they fall again bext quarter alarm bells will start to ring.

Jono also said the music is too repetetive and I couldn't agree more. It'd be nice to hear some slightly older songs from the mid 00's more often.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I agree, I could see why the show's figures went down after the last quarter because I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much. Now howver I'm enjoying the show as much as ever, and LA was fantastic.

He's always done this, especially with sound clips. It can be slightly annoying at times but I don't find it an issue.

As Jono said the figures are still healthy, but I feel for the guys, you can hear they've been trying hard to get the listners back. But if you look back over the years I'm sure Wogan had dips. However, I think if they fall again bext quarter alarm bells will start to ring.

Jono also said the music is too repetetive and I couldn't agree more. It'd be nice to hear some slightly older songs from the mid 00's more often.

What music?

He talks too much for my liking - sure his format is based around talking but I do think he could play more music every now and again. In the morning I don't want to listen to someone talking about the same subject over and over.

Attunement.png

It's a shame that the "less music" policy isn't working so much. I'd prefer them to ditch the music entirely, but Moyles doesn't have self-control like others in that field (Stern, Whale, Baker) do.

I think Moyles plays little music as it is. I don't think they should get rid of the music all together, some of the funniest situations come from their reaction to songs and it wouldn't be the radio without music.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

I think the biggest reason people are listening less is that with the credit crunch and everything else going on, everyone is working longer. I know at my place we arecall in at 8 and we rarely have radio 1 on until Scott because the boss hates moyles. I think they will pick up again soon though.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

What music?

He talks too much for my liking - sure his format is based around talking but I do think he could play more music every now and again. In the morning I don't want to listen to someone talking about the same subject over and over.

The whole idea of a brekfast show is to get people to work with a smile on their face, your not going to achieve this by playing music that you are gonna hear all day as it is.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk