Unofficial Mills

Sending a text to Radio 1

Jono

Don't you think in this day and age, Radio 1 should be free to text? The short code '81199' costs 10p to text even for those with a text bundle.

I notice on the website that listeners in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or outside the UK can text +44 (0)7786 201111.

As this is not a short code will it be free for those with a text bundle?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the BBC make any money at all from texts or does it all go to the network providers

The majority of this goes to the network operator. A small amount (under 1p per message) goes to the third party commercial company responsible for aggregating the messages and supplying the infrastructure enabling the BBC to receive them.

its not the beebs fault & the only way they can be free is if the networks allow them to be free.
10p isn't much most other stations charge 25p plus your normal cost of sending a message, it's all about making the money (obviously the BBC doesn't do this as we fund them already)

Well surely if it's just short codes that are expensive it would be fair to offer an alternative that isn't a short code. Thus making it free?

Why should the BBC cover the cost of our phone bills though? It'd be a bit much to expect them to pay the networks for the 1000's of messages they get every day.

Well they won't will they? But a long code just means that those who do get free texts don't pay. I guess the networks still get the money or there wouldn't be so many bundles out there.

Let's not forget we do still pay our license fee. It's a bit of a gimmick to text in at 10p a pop when a lot are paying the BBC an annual charge.

Hell, it could be worse. With my local radio, you know have to send in a text which costs my £0.12p, then they send an auto text back with the website stuff on it, which costs a further £0.25p. Now this really is an issue.

Ouch... My local radio station uses a SIM card in the SIM reader ha. So its just standard rate

Woah look! It's DJ Drew!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't sent them a text because I hate when my contract goes higher then the £25 I have to spend on it already.

Does the long number work if we try it?

I've tried email Scott a few times, I get a standard reply saying that due to the volume of emails theres a chance it might not be received or whatever.

But then BeckyCam email got me a whiteboard message from Huw.

I haven't sent them a text because I hate when my contract goes higher then the £25 I have to spend on it already.

Does the long number work if we try it?

I've tried email Scott a few times, I get a standard reply saying that due to the volume of emails theres a chance it might not be received or whatever.

But then BeckyCam email got me a whiteboard message from Huw.

Haha I've never had a shoutout or a whiteboard message :( lol

Woah look! It's DJ Drew!