Unofficial Mills

Do you have a favourite word?

Grace

Following on from the lyrics and poems thread, is there one single word which you really like? Or one which is somewhat extravagant which you use to confuse people? I know this sounds a bit odd, but I got wondering about this in my English exam when I was trying to think of "delightful" language (which is what examiners look for these days apparently).

I quite like "rotating", there's something quite onomatopoeic about it, and "decadent" because it sounds really pretty but it's not.

Guest CancerForTheCure

Aubergine! Sounds almost poetic ;)

Redundant - has a nice sound to it.

Serendipity - it has a very positive and hopeful meaning

I think I'll be able to think of some more...

Oooh, I do like serendipity. Felicity is a good one too.

I do like peccadillo, paragon, paradigm and quixotic. I also like jejune, but I've hardly ever used it in writing or speech.

I'm also a fan of spotting malapropisms, whether deliberate or accidental. DC is skilled at employing deliberate malapropisms.

There are many words I dislike too. Virtually every word that begins with 'sub' like subprime or submarine etc. Ugh.

And haughty. Just don't like it.

Haha, I have the weirdest favourite words ever, they're all words like "rubbish" and "gross" and other negative words. Ooh, and I like the words "random", "brush" and many more. Obviously I don't love the meaning of the words, I just somehow seem to like the sound of them.

I have some Danish and German favourite words too, but I doubt you're interested in them. :P

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

Haha, I have the weirdest favourite words ever, they're all words like "rubbish" and "gross" and other negative words. Ooh, and I like the words "random", "brush" and many more. Obviously I don't love the meaning of the words, I just somehow seem to like the sound of them.

I have some Danish and German favourite words too, but I doubt you're interested in them. :P

Ooh, I'm so glad, I thought it was just me that liked that word! Well, not just me, but y'know.. :)

I like "treacle" :B)

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.