Unofficial Mills

Edith announces pregnancy

Jono

Radio 1 DJ Edith Bowman is expecting her first baby, it has been announced.

The 32-year-old and her partner, Editors lead singer Tom Smith - who began dating in 2005 - described it as "the best Christmas present we could have wished for".

The baby is due next June.

"We are both absolutely delighted," Edith said. "This is the best Christmas present we could have wished for and to say our parents are excited is an understatement."

A spokesman for Edith said: "Edith Bowman and Tom Smith are expecting their first child. The baby is due in June 2008.

"Edith plans to continue with her work commitments for the foreseeable future, while Tom will complete his current worldwide tour with Editors."

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=191711&command=displayContent&sourceNode=191710&contentPK=19300155&folderPk=112383&pNodeId=191800

So it looks like there's two babies on the way for Radio 1 within the next 12 months. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this schedule wise.

Oh and of course congratulations should Ms. Bowman visit ;)

I was trying to disagree with Iain, and so Googled Coxy's due date. I found an amusing article about Coxy's new baby that claims Sara will be swapping with Chris Moyles for her second baby...

http://www.bounty.com/Sara-Cox-expecting-her-second-child.news/18282268

"The happy mother-to-be is set to swap radio slots with fellow Radio 1 presenter Chris Moyles in December, ready to take over the afternoon show in the New Year."

We're doomed! (Is this where Iain works?)

I was trying to disagree with Iain, and so Googled Coxy's due date. I found an amusing article about Coxy's new baby that claims Sara will be swapping with Chris Moyles for her second baby...

http://www.bounty.com/Sara-Cox-expecting-her-second-child.news/18282268

"The happy mother-to-be is set to swap radio slots with fellow Radio 1 presenter Chris Moyles in December, ready to take over the afternoon show in the New Year."

We're doomed! (Is this where Iain works?)

they seem to be about 4 years late with that article...:confused:

I'm not trying to be negative towards her, lovely girl, but I can't see her juggling a daytime slot and a baby. Coxy couldn't, Vernon couldn't even manage a weekend slot.

I would agree. congratulations to Edith and im sure shes really pleased but does she have any idea of how much a baby will change her life?

She'll miss the entire festival season on maternity leave, she got a boyfriend in a touring band, so unless he cuts back on his career he wont be around much to support her... and I think from personal experience that its almost impossible to combine a serious career with being a mum.

I thought I could work full time but ended up too stressed and ended up working part time in a lesser paid job! But good luck to her im sure shes more organised than I ever was!

I would agree. congratulations to Edith and im sure shes really pleased but does she have any idea of how much a baby will change her life?

She'll miss the entire festival season on maternity leave, she got a boyfriend in a touring band, so unless he cuts back on his career he wont be around much to support her... and I think from personal experience that its almost impossible to combine a serious career with being a mum.

I thought I could work full time but ended up too stressed and ended up working part time in a lesser paid job! But good luck to her im sure shes more organised than I ever was!

Goodbye Glastonbury-hello daytime tv! Best of luck Edith ! :D

i thought this also about how she will cope, with going to gigs & working etc, but the BBC will have a good support structure set up & there will be no problems returning to her show, as happened with Jo Whiley, i think there will be a mix of dj's to cover while she is off, i would think she would be back on by xmas next year.

i think one of the big reasons she decided on now to have a baby is down to her heart condition that she found out about in the summer, that if she left it later on in life to have a baby it may have caused some problems.

:)

I can understand Edith wanting to get pregnant, she'll be 33 next year, but listening to her show Im not sure how emotionally prepared she'll be.

She sounds as if she enjoys being single and being in control of her own life...Edith doesnt talk about her boyfriend and doing things as a couple, unlike sara who is always mentioning her boyfriend

As for support,Jo is married and lives near her family, Sara only works weekends, so she is a full time mum during the week, and her boyfriend, (and lola's dad) are there and supportive.

Id imagine Edith will leave the afternoon show and move to weekends as Sara did. But it will be much harder for her to go to gigs, attend premieres and travel around with a baby in tow.

But good luck to Edith and Tom. Whatever the hard work, babies are wonderful!

I can understand Edith wanting to get pregnant, she'll be 33 next year, but listening to her show Im not sure how emotionally prepared she'll be.

She sounds as if she enjoys being single and being in control of her own life...Edith doesnt talk about her boyfriend and doing things as a couple, unlike sara who is always mentioning her boyfriend

As for support,Jo is married and lives near her family, Sara only works weekends, so she is a full time mum during the week, and her boyfriend, (and lola's dad) are there and supportive.

Id imagine Edith will leave the afternoon show and move to weekends as Sara did. But it will be much harder for her to go to gigs, attend premieres and travel around with a baby in tow.

But good luck to Edith and Tom. Whatever the hard work, babies are wonderful!

you are right

"She sounds as if she enjoys being single and being in control of her own life...Edith doesn't talk about her boyfriend and doing things as a couple, unlike Sara who is always mentioning her boyfriend"

Edith doesn't mention anything about her life outside Radio 1 at all, (from what i have heard) i think its down to her being a very private person & wanting to keep her work & personal life separate that's all.

she has made the decision to start a family, & she must have thought about her love of music & going to gig's etc,

once she has had the baby she may just decide to quit Radio 1 all together :cry: but i very much doubt that will happen, but you never know :confused: or she may just come straight back to work :)

also i don't think Radio 1 will want her to leave as i think they see her as the replacement for Jo Whiley :D she may just start back at the weekends & then go back to daytime weekdays,

i hope she isn't away for to long :)

I wish Edith & Tom all the best.

:)

But on air, Edith does talk a lot about her family, especially her mum, dad and nephew. and she does chatter on about where shes been, what she and her pals have been up to.

but she never mentions her boyfriend.

I sort of understand the desire to have a private life... but if they have a strong enough relationship to have a baby together.. Im not sure why she never mentions him. Maybe she will now its official?

Also there is the whole thing with Colin, which is strange... Colin was quick enough last night to tell everyone on his show that her baby wasnt his. Because he didnt want people texting him about it....But what a crazy situation to be in. Edith announces her pregnancy and people assume its Colin's!