Unofficial Mills

Jo Whiley leaving radio 1

popbitcher

will there be changes in store for radio 1? jo whiley is leaving according to popbitch sources and edith is doing poor in her lunchtime slot. JK + joel seem pretty tired of early breakfast too, they should be in daytime by now.

Weekends is a disappointment and lacking charisma. Will there be big changes in store?? What about greg james?

It's been four years since a proper shake up to weekends and daytime, so I don't blame people for saying they're bored. I don't think mass axings are needed, just some freshening up.

What happened to Capital's Lucio? Pretty sure he was going to take over Early Breakfast but it all fell through. Then again, I've heard some colourful stories about that guy! The new talent slot on Friday had potential, but it's more a case of a chore for bosses it seems. I would have thought they'd be promoting it as much as possible, and getting a variety of presenters. That's not the case, and is starting to make things a bit of a mess.

I agree that weekends are starting to drag now. It perhaps doesn't need much, but it could do with something different. We love weekends - I think not. It's not so much one particular presenter, I can put up with Fearne and Reggie being on when I'm asleep, but even they seem to have lost interest in working together and as a result Nihal seems to be on more than the weekend presenters are.

JK and Joel seem to have had a rough deal. I understand to get a big job you need to stick at early breakfast, but they've sat in for Mills numerous times, and now they don't even seem to be doing that. Bosses need to sort something out for them when they're in daylight. We could see them take Trevor Nelson's Saturday slot (as he's also presenting 1Xtra breakfast) and do a general show which could air both Saturday and Sunday - will Radio 1 do away with the chart? It's certainly going the same way as Top of the Pops is.

I like Jo Whiley, and I like Edith. But Edith's movie banter isn't for me. But I'm sure it's suits some people. Those people don't seem to be shouting out that they like her movie work though. But all these rumours were kicking around last year. Edith doing mid-morning, JK and Joel on in the afternoon. Speculation as ever.

Greg James is likely to go far. But I think they've drafted him in too quickly, much like with JK and Joel. They have this hot talent, but it's too quick to give him a full time show, and they know that. So until then they seem to be throwing him all over the place. If he keeps at it though I imagine they'll want to do something big with him by the winter months.

I would hazard a guess if there's to be any changes it'll in the next month or so.

I'm not Jo Whiley's biggest fan, I'd quite like her to move on to something else. Also, I preferred "Colin & Edith" to Edith on her own, they had a good bit of banter and made a good listen I think. I never listen to the radio at night so I kinda miss Colin :(

Is that some inside info your keeping close to your chest there Jono???? ;)

glitzy.jpg

What, that there will be changes in the next month or so? Not really, but Nemone left two years ago in September, and they changed the evening schedule this time last year. So if there any changes it will be during September.

I think Jono speaks for everyone really - what he's said makes complete sense and just shows that he is passionate about the station and is keen to see change as is everybody else here.

I think over time, people age out at Radio 1 - the days of being 50 and playing pop hits are long gone. Talent is emerging and although I think Whiley is an excellent Broadcaster, times are ch-ch-changing and its an excellent oppuninity for her to move on to other stations. If this is true, this would be one of the biggest shake ups of the station in a while as Whiley has been such an intergal part of the station.

This might echo Jono, but hey-ho. There are so many different ways of putting presenters in, but as I conceed, yes - Greg James probably will become a full time presenter in the future, thus being "promoted" - JK and Joel have been part of the station for a while and proven to extremely good on the station - down with the kids and popular with younger adult listeners etc.

Who knows how Ben Cooper and Andy Parfitt's minds work? They could do anything and everything, but thing I know they want to try and keep it fresh and get the right mix. From what Andy Parfitt was saying to a group of us recently I think the station will see a lot of change over the next few years.

Have you thought about our beloved Scott Mills getting the 10 - 1 slot? That would fit nicely to have The JK and Joel 4 - 7 ? Anything is possible, so instead of spectulating its best to wait and see. But rest a sure, I think the changes are for the good. Jo needs to move on as the format is somewhat tired.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

I think Whileys slot should be filled by Annie Mac (GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNIN!) and then have Jk and Joel on in the afternoon. With Sara Cox/Greg James covering the daytime.

Yeah but where will Scott go? If Jo whiley go's I see it something like this..

Morning: Chris Moyles

Mid Morning:Annie Mac or Sara Cox

Lunchtime:Greg/Edith

Afternoon: Scott

twitter.com/emgreatorex

I like Edith's show, but i love movies so that makes sense. Maybe a refresh? A solid schedule for weekends and early breakfast. Radio 1, for the past year has felt like someones always on holiday. I think The big bosses need to put all 4 feet firmly on the floor. SOLID SCHEDULE

I'll be gutted if Jo goes, also very suprised as Live Lounge is so popular and has made money with the very popular first CD compilation and the upcoming second one.

In my opinion, not only is Jo a very talented broadcaster who makes the very difficult seem effortless, her massive knowledge of the music business past and present and her great ability to recognise the genuinely talented mean that she is a very valuable member of Radio 1's staff.

I know we don't all like the same people. However, the demographic is wider than many may think and those that don't appeal to some do appeal to others. For example if you're a young Mum Coxy's chat about Lola may appeal, if you're a student and enjoy cheese you'll love Vernon and if you're a grumpy 30 something you'll love Moyles :D. Actually you'll love him if you're grumpy at all or think bad temper and sarcasm are funny - I guess that's why morning is such a good show for him!

Moving Scott to anything other than breakfast would be a bit of a demotion, surely? And he certainly doesn't deserve that.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally I think there are many other people Greg could replace, also he's only been at the station for a short time and I imagine he'll be expected to take time to consolidate his radio experience and get used to being a national broadcaster before being given another slot.

UM is a nice place

will there be changes in store for radio 1? jo whiley is leaving according to popbitch sources and edith is doing poor in her lunchtime slot. JK + joel seem pretty tired of early breakfast too, they should be in daytime by now.

Weekends is a disappointment and lacking charisma. Will there be big changes in store?? What about greg james?

there are always changes in life....

whiley is ok, she suits the time of day for me. but early afternoons are poor, it's better for me without HIM there. but edith needs someone to talk to, 3 hours is a long time mostly on your own on radio 1. there is a big difference compared to a few years ago from 1pm. jk & joel should be let out into the open now, it was a great idea to open that time for new talent.

on the grid.

Come september there will need someone for the Sunday Surgery unless they're keeping Annie Mac (which does look quite likely), but she presumably will be bringing back her teenage show at 9pm. Worst scenario for Edith is they could move her to present with Dr Mark.

edith's best days i think was back on mtv select 7 or 8 years ago with cat deely and richard blackwood. # 1,2,3,4 get with the wicked!! #

i see jo going to 6music if she ever goes, she wouldn't deal with the radio 2 playlist and steve wright all together.

oh for christ sake, she just did a changing track. and picked one with a bloody amy wingehouse track, the current playlist one. i was expecting an old classic.

on the grid.