Unofficial Mills

Technical help please?

Kelly

I've just re-installed The Sims 2 Nightlife, and I can't get it to work. Whenever I try to load it up, I get this message:

post-876-145327863978_thumb.jpg

So, I downloaded DirectX 9.0 from Microsoft.com, and now that won't install. It gets through to the end then I get this message and it fails:

4tr4y7t.jpg

Any idea what I can do next? I've had this game installed before, so I know it's nothing to do with my graphics card.

Only just seen this, sorry. You sorted now Kelly?

One thing to do when you have DirectX errors is to hit Start | Run and type dxdiag in the resulting dialog and click ok - this starts the DirectX diagnostic tool, which gives some tests that will hopefully give a clue as to where the problem might be...

Directplay is only the online component of DirectX so shouldn't stop you playing a game on your own, so don't think that's it. Go with E*F*4L's suggestion of getting very latest drivers for your graphics card and installing them before restarting and trying a DirectX install again...

If you're not sure what to get, the Display tab in Dxdiag will give you the Card Name, Manufacturer, Driver Version and Date - this should give enough clues as to where to go for the latest graphics driver...

Is it a laptop you're trying to run it on?

As in the thing you scan stuff into your comp with..

I reckon somehow the file that the Sims CD is set to 'autoplay' when you put the CD in has become associated by mistake with your scanner software...

Try cancelling anything that loads when you put the CD in, then open up My Computer, navigate to the CD drive and look for the icon that starts the Sims directly, or perhaps the Sims setup icon...