Unofficial Mills

Danny Beard's Radio 1 show

ianwilk1999

On 4/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, Jono said:

I just wonder if they need a bit more of a mentor and someone to really sit down and critique the programme with them. I'd assume they'd be receptive to the feedback. Surely someone does that?

Or better still find a co-host for him? There are plenty of female early breakfast presenters that I'm sure would be able to take charge. 

Was going to say if you want to save some face too have maybe a co-host join Danny - that at least to some extent would spare their blushes a bit and you have somebody to deal with the technical stuff (not talking over jingles, Whatsapp number).
I guess the constraint is if the show comes from Salford and ideally you wouldn't want Vicky and Nat starting their new slot early. But then again there's Ore and James Cusack you could use alongside Danny if they're available. James always seems to be overlooked though when new positions come up under Aled.

I feel like it'd be more likely to be an early breakfast presenter than someone like james if they went down this route. Perhaps it might complicate matters (but I do completely agree with everyone saying it'd be better) and they're just waiting for July to come round and for it to be over.

I believe you said it on digital spy @coffeeandgin that James is long overdue and deserves a slot on the station and I still think he was kept back from a temp show because of the weekend announcement yet to come and his global contract is a hold up. Of all the decisions recently, I think that'd be a decision that would be universally welcomed.

What a nightmare link at 11.15am this morning. Spent 30 seconds waffling about the name of The Last Dinner Party as if he’d never heard it before, then started mentioning Capital and the license fee, and how it’s been used to pay for him to be there, and was then cut off by the start of the next song.

48 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

What a nightmare link at 11.15am this morning. Spent 30 seconds waffling about the name of The Last Dinner Party as if he’d never heard it before, then started mentioning Capital and the license fee, and how it’s been used to pay for him to be there, and was then cut off by the start of the next song.

You’re welcome

As positives go, at least Danny said what the last song played was and upcoming song played was. Plus I guess in that link are perhaps ideas for content (asking listeners to come up with bands from things around them, things that have happened to them this week).

That's where's the positives end. It comes across as no thought has gone into what Danny will say next. It gives me proper flashbacks to some Jamie Laing links (especially that one show where he was unexpectedly solo).

It's ironic that for all the duos and trios on the station - the one show and DJ that is positively crying out for another DJ to help show them the ropes is left all solo.

At least with Jamie Laing they learnt their lesson and he's not been left solo since.

Of all the times not mention capital it's probably now? Jordan is flying on breakfast with chris & sian and there's a presenter on friday and saturday that doesn't know who a main r1 artist, tldp are. Mentions capital which surely has to be a big no no given recent events and then says the licence fee goes to me. Talk about vom.

We can't have it on here no more as it's that unlistenable and I'm about to switch back for m&m, but this is a Maya Jama x50 level mess of a show.

Forget fading the microphone down, the entire show needs fading down

He also just said coming up we have brand new segment, I thought they were a band 🤣 how did this man get on Radio 1? Aled needs his head testing. It’s an insult people who deserve to be on the radio 

3 minutes ago, ianwilk1999 said:

Of all the times not mention capital it's probably now? Jordan is flying on breakfast with chris & sian and there's a presenter on friday and saturday that doesn't know who a main r1 artist, tldp are. Mentions capital which surely has to be a big no no given recent events and then says the licence fee goes to me. Talk about vom.

We can't have it on here no more as it's that unlistenable and I'm about to switch back for m&m, but this is a Maya Jama x50 level mess of a show.

Forget fading the microphone down, the entire show needs fading down

I thought the same to that comment, the license fee is going on me babes 

I must admit a broad smile to myself when I got in the car just after 1pm today and realised I'd timed it perfectly to avoid Danny! Just listened back to that earlier link, just horrific and what's worse is that Danny doesn't seem to have improved even vaguely since the first show. As Greg20 said, the show is being driven by a producer which makes the mess even less excusable.