Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

5 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I think given how brief the statement is on R21 social, it's either got to be a prank for Mega Massive Monday as someone else mentioned, or that he is moving to another station. Very sad if he really is leaving... although I agree that he would be great with Chris and Sian on Capital!

In a week when we have been talking about the genius of Steve Wright, Jordan is undoubtedly one of the best broadcasters of his generation - he simply must have something big lined up.

3 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

I’m a bit surprised that Vick has stayed too. I thought that if Jordan went, she would go with him really and then have a whole new line up at drive. 

It’s a shame the Vick and Jordan (and Katie) partnership only lasted a couple of years because it was by far my favourite on radio 1

Given where Vick's life is I can't see her wanting to do a daily radio show for too much longer.  She is a strong independent woman but you imagine the commitment is incompatible with where her life is at.

1 minute ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Yeah I suppose it does look too official to be a prank... and they wouldn't announce a replacement if it were all false I guess. It just seems hard to believe.  And hard to understand why it wouldn't be Katie instead of Jamie - unless she turned it down

Remember Katie has her life in Manchester so a permanent move to London might not be an option.

But I'd have been happy with her as a replacement. Jamie I find unlistenable.

Think this really shows Radio 1/the BBC in general isn’t what it was. Radio 1/Radio 2 have been the absolute pinnacles of pop music radio - where the biggest DJ’s are desperate to work. It feels like not any more. I can’t remember another DJ leaving Radio 1 at their peak. 

The press release reads like it’s having a dig at Jordan: “He has enjoyed huge support from the station and listeners, developing his talent to host multiple shows across the network.” Ie we’ve made you what you are and now you’re deserting us! 

Aled Haydn Jones, Head of Radio 1, says: “I’m so excited to officially welcome Jamie to the Radio 1 family. From his hugely popular BBC podcast to his appearances on the network, our young audiences have loved him. His infectious energy and love for music and culture will bring an exciting new element to Drivetime, I can’t wait for people to hear all of the exciting new ideas Vick and Jamie have lined up.

“Jordan has been an amazing presenter and a valued colleague at Radio 1, and I’m so proud of his journey with us. He has always connected with the Radio 1 audience through his shows and projects, as witnessed by the huge amount of money raised for Comic Relief during his rowing trip from London to Burnley."

4 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Remember Katie has her life in Manchester so a permanent move to London might not be an option.

But I'd have been happy with her as a replacement. Jamie I find unlistenable.

I don't mind Jamie all that much, but together with Vick I think it will be a giggle-fest and I'm not sure I could listen to that. I liked Jamie with Matt though.

If Aled says Jamie was popular with the younger listeners then that explains a lot I suppose.

A family member - well within the target audience - just said they didn't see much point of listening to Radio 1 now. "It's only Greg and Matt and Mollie left who are worth listening to". Not an overwhelming vote of confidence from listeners on social media either.

I understand Katie not wanting to move.  However, some of the biggest radio shows (Elvis Duran, Stern) in the US feature presenters in remote locations and I used to forget sometimes until it was mentioned.  

All in all Jamie and Vick doesn't strike me as a fully permanent thing.

I’m still in the something to do with mega massive monday idea, for them to announce Jamie joining in a post before Jordan leaving; and even in two separate posts as well. Idk just seems different to last few announcements.

with Aleds comment now makes it bit more real, but still nothing from Jordan or Vick…

10 minutes ago, Bamboleo Bex said:

I’m still in the something to do with mega massive monday idea, for them to announce Jamie joining in a post before Jordan leaving; and even in two separate posts as well. Idk just seems different to last few announcements.

with Aleds comment now makes it bit more real, but still nothing from Jordan or Vick…

Part of me really wants this to be a prank. Nobody thought they would take the radio off air when they did the DJ hunt,but they did - so maybe the bosses are willing to take a risk to make a spectacle.

I may be clutching at straws, but Katie's current "web of lies" topic is making me suspicious, that this is all a web of lies that will be unravelled on Monday...

Jamie has posted on his Insta but the caption seems suspect to me, he may well be in on it - surely he has too many other projects going on to commit to a daily show? I really am just being hopeful right now that Jordan wouldn't leave

9 minutes ago, Bamboleo Bex said:

If Jordan has got a new gig in radio he is probably bound by an NDA not to reveal until they do so I wouldn't read too much into the fact he hasn't spoken yet

I would punt that he has a new radio gig at Heart Capital or Bauer (Ben Cooper??) he would not leave R1 lightly he is too dedicated and a geek

Rumours are rife that Roman is becoming new perm host of the one show so don't be suprised if it is announced

Greg being off today is naff all to do with it he has Covid

SHOCKED YES! totally, excited too yes...

Positive spin, this opens doors for Katie, Arielle, Dean etc in the future if Greg goes which he will one day it is inevatibe

Arielle on breakfast wouldn't be a bad thing she is very Sara/Zoe esque

What has suprised me: 1. RMC haven't had a move out of it, 2. M&M haven't had a move out of it well overdue a promotion however are the pinicle of the weekend broacasting with Charlie following them

Jack - I would have said again suprised but he has just had a promotion to FS

Let's see what happens in the next 48hrs

You all are really starting to sell me on the prank angle lol.  Although I feel like Katie would be playing it up more.  This couldn't have happened on a better day though.  I have literally nothing to do at work today but still need to look busy I guess.

1 minute ago, onlyME said:

Awkward post from Vick yesterday. They all seemed so happy! 

Screenshot_20240216-115009.png

Clearly taken after he had told them the news. Roshan has been an exec producer at R1 for yeard and Sophie used to produce Scotts show.

Katie sounds really flustered to me which is what was making me suspicious, she might just be in shock if she has just found out Jordan is really leaving, but she sounded really shaky telling the story about the love hearts in the corner shop and I didn't really believe it...

Plus it's been over an hour and I haven't seen any tributes from colleagues or Vick hasn't posted anything about being excited to work with Jamie - I wonder if there will be any clues in the Going Home podcast when it drops later?