Unofficial Mills

Have you ever been on the radio?

radio247

I was on with Greg once, after he had been on Saturday Kitchen. I text in about it and they called me back to be on air with him - to be fair I was just a bit of a buffer to the clips they would have played out anyway, but Greg and the team were proper lovely.

I was almost on with Scott and Chris on 5Live once, it would have been a pre-recorded bit but I chickened out before the call - I don't think my story would have been entertaining enough for radio but I have always kicked myself that I gave up the chance to speak to Scott on the phone!!

Edited to add that I'm sure you aren't boring - a lot of it is probably timing vs how much engagement they have in what they want to feature, I'm pretty sure that's why I was on

Yep a few times on Radio 1.

Did the Whoooo game a few times and Bangers on Scott's show and have done the Something Songs on Going Home twice.

For the non-live features (Whooo game and Something Songs if people were wondering) producers ring you a day or two beforehand. They let you know you're likely to be on and just check if you're available, that you have something to talk about (e.g. for Something Songs a reason for choosing the tracks or for the Whooo game have some Whooos to hand) and will sound OK on the radio. They're always kind and friendly.

And then day of the show you record and have a bit of a chat with the presenters. Have been on with Scott & Chris, Jordan, Vick & Katie who were all absolutely lovely and exactly what you hope they'd be.

Something like Bangers is live but largely similar - producer will chat to you before and help to think about topics you can chat about on air and then you're live with Scott & Chris.

Would highly recommend it - especially the pre-recorded features as you have plenty of preparation time and they are I'm sure well used to nervous callers or editing out any pauses or swears. Plus with some of the features like Complete The Year really the feature is the star so you can never go far wrong.

It's basically the next step up from messaging in to tell them to 'keep the tunes coming'.

Well, I've certainly made a few appearances. I don't see myself as being a very exciting voice though. I think my most notable was in Oh What's Occuring, being pranked by the team to see how long I'd stay on the phone for! 

I've presented before. Also done travel bulletins in my old job for Free Radio 80s, BBC Reigionals up and down the UK (WM, Lincolnshire, Humberside, Shropshire, Bristol). Even been on talksport in the past, my inbox went a bit barmy for the talksport ones from old friends I hadn't seen in ages asking if it was even me. This was all done from a company that used a team of broadcasters (such as me), equipped with hi tech traffic information at hand. And sold the service to various stations.

The sheer ruining of local commercial radio by the likes of Bauer, and the BBC cutbacks put an end to all of that before the first lockdown though. Great job mind, and the people I worked with were all brilliant.

on the grid.

I've said before, I'm always amazed by how many people who have frequented these boards have ended up in radio and television jobs. Too many people in fact start their conversations with "I used to log in evenings to Unofficial Mills!" when I've met them in a work capacity.