Unofficial Mills

Selling gig tickets & eBay

Bexy

Do you buy or sell gig tickets on eBay?

Personally, I really don't think people should be able to sell gig tickets on eBay. Obviously, there are some people that sell for genuine reasons like not being able to make it to a gig, but I think the large majority of people that sell gig tickets on eBay are just selling them to make money.

I just think it's a bit unfair that some people can't get tickets for gigs that they really want to go to, because someone else has bought them just to sell them on eBay. I guess you could argue that that way, the tickets go to 'real fans' that are willing to pay extra to get the tickets. But not everyone can afford to pay the prices that some tickets go for on eBay.

I think websites like Stop Tout (http://www.stoptout.com/index.php?page_id=105) and Scarlet Mist (http://www.scarletmist.com/default.asp) that offer ethical ticket exchange are a really good idea. At the moment I don't think that they are popular enough to be successful, because not many tickets are on there. If websites like this were better known, and used more often it might stop people selling tickets on eBay for way over their face value.

This is just my opinion on the subject. What's yours?

I wouldn't have a problem with putting tickets on eBay, but only if I had bought them and then I couldn't go or something. I don't like this about "real fans" not getting tickets, the "real" ones would be phoning/queueing the second the box office opens, not waiting weeks and then complaining when touts have bought them.

Honestly, I had no idea until recently that you can go to actual box offices to get tickets. I've only ever bought tickets on the phone (back in the day!) or on the Internet. I do worry about myself sometimes. :confused:

just think it's a bit unfair that some people can't get tickets for gigs that they really want to go to, because someone else has bought them just to sell them on eBay. I guess you could argue that that way, the tickets go to 'real fans' that are willing to pay extra to get the tickets. But not everyone can afford to pay the prices that some tickets go for on eBay.

This is just my opinion on the subject. What's yours?

Yeah, I think it's unfair, too. Prices are usually way too high on Ebay and I thinkit unfair that people just buy them to sell somewhere else.

I'm still gutted about Take That >_<

I heard some tickets seen on Ebay are being blocked or something?

Theres some people on ebay selling tickets who genuinely cant get to the gig. Which is ashame, cos even they get slated for it. Its up to the buyer if they want to pay stupid amounts for gig tickets. Tbh, if it was a band i really really wanted to see, i probably wouldnt mind paying that bit extra for them.

Its when people sell tickets, for the rallyoke for example. Those are free tickets and its a charity even, and people are making money out of that. Now that annoys me.

I like the sound of a ticket exchange site where the tickets are sold for face value and not for profit. Ebay annoys me, £30 tickets being sold for £100 or more, its ludacrus....Rips off the real fans.

Where would we be if we did'ht have rules....?

France, Thats Right.

I got annoyed with the Fatboy Slim tickets for his New Years Day gig this year, the gig was suppose to be for people who only live in Brighton, yet there were loads on Ebay so that anyone could get hold of them, local gig, yeah right !

"Just one more game, I promise"

Can see all tickets going like glastonburys soon, they are wise to it so i cant see why everyone else can be.

Quite complicated though for smaller gigs and expensive to bring in. I guess they'd need a cut-off point, maybe just for things that are going to sell out first day. I think it would be a good idea for all festival tickets.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

• 2 years later...

I've been waiting for ages for Paramore tickets to go on sale. Finally went on today at 9.00. Unfotunately my son was ill all through the night and i ended up sleeping in. Went to get tickets for wembley at 9.45, and they are all sold out. Except there are loads of tickets on ebay selling for £60 each. The tickets only cost £20 in the first place. I think it's absolutely disgusting. There were at least 3 listings each with 6 tickets for sale at the higher price. You can't tell me they bought tickets and now, oh dear, something else has come up! I don't think it should be allowed or there should be some sort of restriction. I really wanted to take my 10yr old and my sister-in-law. We won't go now cos i refuse to pay 3 times as much.

• 8 months later...

I know this will prove very unpopular, I am fully of the belief that when someone buys a ticket or tickets for a gig or event, those are then the property of the person they were sold and they should be free to do with them what they want.

If someone wants to buy with the intention of selling them on then fair enough, everyone should be entitled to try and make a profit on anything they own or are buying

Not impressed with censorship

I know this will prove very unpopular, I am fully of the belief that when someone buys a ticket or tickets for a gig or event, those are then the property of the person they were sold and they should be free to do with them what they want.

If someone wants to buy with the intention of selling them on then fair enough, everyone should be entitled to try and make a profit on anything they own or are buying

but why should people who actually want to attend said event have to pay through the nose to do so because of someone who knowingly bought tickets for something they're not attending?

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I'm not saying they SHOULD be paying through the nose, I'm saying that when something is on sale, it should be on offer to everyone and when someone has bought something it becomes their property and they should be free to do with it what they want, be it attend the event, give the ticket to someone else or sell them on at a profit

Not impressed with censorship

I think a lot of the reason many people dont get the tickets they want is simply because they dont properly know how to go about buying tickets online in the right way. I'll try and give some help and pointers for people. sorry if it sounds patrionising, but following these methods i have basically a 100% record of getting tickets for gigs on the general release. only exception might have been getting micheal jackson tickets, that was a mare.

1. Make a ticketmaster account.

2. Log onto ticketmaster account plenty of time before tickets go on sale(maybe 20 minutes or so)

3. have a few windows open all on the screen where tickets should be on sale.

4. refresh the page everytime the minute changes on your computer screen as quickly as possible.

5. another great tip is signing up to sites like gigsinscotland.com(or some alternative) and ticketmaster.co.uk etc. they regularly send emails with presales which require no risk on missing tickets at all.

6.make sure to check emails and gig listings regularly so you dont miss out.

7. and finally, always try buy tickets online for the big events, from my experience going to a physical box office is a waste of time and effort.

hope this helps :)

Flash Flash!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest listeasy2010

Theres some people on ebay selling tickets who genuinely cant get to the gig. Which is ashame, cos even they get slated for it. Its up to the buyer if they want to pay stupid amounts for gig tickets. Tbh, if it was a band i really really wanted to see, i probably wouldnt mind paying that bit extra for them.

ebay tickets selling

Yes, SOME. But there are also those that deliberately buy the tickets with no intention at all of ever going near the gig they bought tickets for. Also if they're gonna sell them on, it's only fair that it should be at the price they paid for them when they robbed someone with genuine intent to attend of the chance.

didn't spot that it had already been posted... sorry, your highness etc...

It still answers the OP anyways, something I hadn't already posted to before, while being relevant... but whatever, I'm obviously massively criminal for this from the way you reacted... :rolleyes: