Unofficial Mills

Getting down wit' da Scottish lingo

Jono

Scotland's favourite word is "numpty", according to a survey conducted for a children's charity.

The nickname for an idiot beat more politically correct entries such as "love", "hope" and "family", which were more popular in other parts of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6520353.stm

Didn't these guys have anything better to do than survey this? Either way, numpty really is a great word.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the English allowed in here?

Why of course, welcomed with open arms etc.

haha i dont know anyone who speaks gaelic either. Interestingly though, the road signs up north are in gaelic aswell as english, which is odd since near to no one speaks it.

I was in a fish and chip shop in West Cumbria the other day which had 'haggis' on the menu. Urghh.

There's lots of northern words I never knew about till recently. Like 'canny', which was on a Love Heart I ate yesterday, and all these Scottish words.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Yeah i dont know any gaelic speakers either personally i think its a prank like welsh.

There are far more Welsh speakers than there are Gaelic btw lol. Aled from the Chris Moyles show speaks fluent welsh.

"canny"... i thought that was a given! Something people use without thinking i suppose.