Unofficial Mills

5 is 10 Years Old

John

Can you believe that? I remember when they we're setting up Channel 5 in people's homes. Not many people could recieve it! But in 10 years its had some highs and some lows. Such as Family Affairs. And The Wright Stuff exposing John Leslie. And wasn't it Channel 5 that brought back Crossroads? Not to mention it was The Spice Girls that started it all off!!

take control

I remember being a geek and spending much of February in 1997 trying to pick up a signal on my kitchen TV and seeing the test card. In my opinion the multi-coloured look back then was much 'cooler'. I remember watching, was it Ben Elton and one of their new readers, coming on talking about the channel after the Spice Girls had done 5-4-3-2-1. This of course was all in black and white and crackly because Norfolk couldn't pick it up very well.

I do remember though one day being quite excited they'd put it on analogue Sky, this was before they'd put all the terrestrial channels on Sky Digital. Anyway... I think it was more exciting back then with their youth approach to things. Now it's more on an OAP channel which I never watch.

Highlights would be The Wright Stuff and Home & Away. But I don't watch Home & Away any more, and Trisha is naff on there.

And wasn't it Channel 5 that brought back Crossroads?

Don't think so, ITV had Crossroads on in the afternoons if I recall. They did bring back Home and Away, when ITV dropped it.

Always preferred the original stuff they had like this -

cha5_2001_blu_2.jpg

Much fresher than what they have these days. 'Five' these days looks too much like any other channel -

five_2004_pan_4.jpg

Ooh I forgot the best thing about Channel 5... by far... SUNSET BEACH!

Was that the first or second time they showed it? Gutted because the second time they showed it they couldn't keep it in a proper time slot. It had by the far the best zainy storylines for a soap. The whole thing was laughable.

Well it beat the teletubbies for that timeslot when I was a kid watching the telly...

Oh God. I remember Channel 5 launching very well. I'd have been about 5 and the Spice Girls opened it, which I got very excited about. :oops: I can't believe it's been ten years! It's unbelievable!

Their current highlights are CSI and House, both fantastic shows.

i remeber the spice girls song they did on the launch day # 5,4,3,2,1 #. i was at school the day the guy came round to tune in my video and tv to channel 5. there is a screw round the back that you turn.

i also have the street fighter film on tape, recorded off channel 5 in the 90's, you can still see the old logo up the corner.

on the grid.