Unofficial Mills

Next Radio 1 Breakfast presenters

murste

I’m not sure if they would ever move the Breakfast show out of London. It was made clear when the BBC bosses outlined the plans for R1/2 to move a daytime show outside of London that it “excludes Breakfast”.

I also do think the cost cutting point is an interesting one. Arguably we’ve seen them pairing up presenters at a time BBC wages have come under more scrutiny, so I am not sure that argument holds much weight now.

Whoever eventually  takes over would be well-advised to get what advice they can from Greg.

During his stint at Breakfast he's had to broadcast during some pretty unique scenarios - after England winning football and cricket tournaments, presenting a Breakfast Show during a pandemic or being the first DJ on Radio 1 following the Queens Death. Situations where there are very few who have faced those scenarios and he got the tone spot on. Obviously DJs can and should be their own person but you'd be silly to not try and learn what you can from somebody as talented as Greg who has been on Radio 1 as long as he is and continues to be as good as ever.

I very much hope Greg continues on Breakfast though for a while - he continues to be excellent.

• 4 months later...

The amount of love that people have for Greg on this forum seems to be at odds with his listener figures. The amount of love for the most basic presenters seems weird considering this is a Scott Mills forum who had fun games, engaging features and was funny. Greg outside of R1 is great but on his show he sings a song called ten to ten, plays a game called stand up or sit down. Jordan has a segment called what are you having for dinner. Katie does some weird segments too! The only ones that compare to Scott are Matt and Molly and this is evidenced by the fact that they were the most popular presenters at R1 Dundee. They opened radio 1 big weekend and were the lead presenters during the weekend, all the DJs played their games with the celebrities also they have producer Amy. They have a tonne of games and they’re the most engaging DJs. I don’t think they’d take the breakfast slot as neither of them like waking up early but they’re not going anywhere. Aled likes them far too much. Either drive time or mid morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't feel like there's any particular successful formula for a good/well liked DJ. Others may have slicker formats and cleverly put together games on paper, but that doesn't make Greg's show any less impressive in my eyes.  This isn't me being overly defensive of Greg, but I like how he embraces the unpredictability of having live callers and that can be all the fun that's needed. Songs, silly games, let's face it, who is awake enough to play mastermind style games at 7am? I like how he makes sure even the highest ranking celebrities are all levelled by the kind of features that get people talking - unpopular opinions, ask the nations, it was always meant to be about the listener.

If I'm not mistaken,  I think 'what are you having for your tea' was an off the cuff idea that got so much interaction from the listeners that Vick & Jordan decided to keep it (I'm aware there's more to it than that), but I just think relatability goes a long way, it's why I listen anyway.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:01 PM, David Jors said:

The amount of love that people have for Greg on this forum seems to be at odds with his listener figures. The amount of love for the most basic presenters seems weird considering this is a Scott Mills forum who had fun games, engaging features and was funny. Greg outside of R1 is great but on his show he sings a song called ten to ten, plays a game called stand up or sit down. Jordan has a segment called what are you having for dinner. Katie does some weird segments too! The only ones that compare to Scott are Matt and Molly and this is evidenced by the fact that they were the most popular presenters at R1 Dundee. They opened radio 1 big weekend and were the lead presenters during the weekend, all the DJs played their games with the celebrities also they have producer Amy. They have a tonne of games and they’re the most engaging DJs. I don’t think they’d take the breakfast slot as neither of them like waking up early but they’re not going anywhere. Aled likes them far too much. Either drive time or mid morning. 

9 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

I personally don't feel like there's any particular successful formula for a good/well liked DJ. Others may have slicker formats and cleverly put together games on paper, but that doesn't make Greg's show any less impressive in my eyes.  This isn't me being overly defensive of Greg, but I like how he embraces the unpredictability of having live callers and that can be all the fun that's needed. Songs, silly games, let's face it, who is awake enough to play mastermind style games at 7am? I like how he makes sure even the highest ranking celebrities are all levelled by the kind of features that get people talking - unpopular opinions, ask the nations, it was always meant to be about the listener.

If I'm not mistaken,  I think 'what are you having for your tea' was an off the cuff idea that got so much interaction from the listeners that Vick & Jordan decided to keep it (I'm aware there's more to it than that), but I just think relatability goes a long way, it's why I listen anyway.

I agree with all of this.  I also think the vast majority of the Radio 1 team come across as "warm" and I think that's important for the core audience.  It's a very different era to when Moyles was at Breakfast.

2 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

I agree with all of this.  I also think the vast majority of the Radio 1 team come across as "warm" and I think that's important for the core audience.  It's a very different era to when Moyles was at Breakfast.

I think totally different era theres a different ethos and he wouldn’t be as popular and get away with saying the stuff he did when he was on radio 1 now that’s for sure

On 1/8/2023 at 5:48 PM, coffeeandgin said:

Whoever eventually  takes over would be well-advised to get what advice they can from Greg.

During his stint at Breakfast he's had to broadcast during some pretty unique scenarios - after England winning football and cricket tournaments, presenting a Breakfast Show during a pandemic or being the first DJ on Radio 1 following the Queens Death. Situations where there are very few who have faced those scenarios and he got the tone spot on. Obviously DJs can and should be their own person but you'd be silly to not try and learn what you can from somebody as talented as Greg who has been on Radio 1 as long as he is and continues to be as good as ever.

I very much hope Greg continues on Breakfast though for a while - he continues to be excellent.

I’ll say that maybe when the next rejig of breakfast and the daytime schedule happens. I think trying to make some tweaks and adjustments to the feel of the breakfast show would need to happen. As I think recent clips of Greg’s post Radio 1 Big Weekend interview in the studio with Royal Blood looked cringy and mostly taking the show and the big weekend moment too much seriously and didn’t seem to make fun radio and seen on social media comparisons of Greg sounding like a dad telling of a child for a seven minute interview. 

I think Scott Mills had manage to make his features seem original and fresh and over his time tried to re-invent the programme to grow an audience and feel that Greg James doesn’t seem to be enjoying himself and having as much fun on the radio as he did before when he was several years ago.

The amount of love that people have for Greg on this forum seems to be at odds with his listener figures. The amount of love for the most basic presenters seems weird considering this is a Scott Mills forum who had fun games, engaging features and was funny. 

I think people like relatable and authentic presenters. Not people who try too hard. That's what I get from those names. They all seemed to have a good working relationship with Scott too, which is why I think people have got on board with them. The people who turned up for the Lolathon or the Treadmill Challenge.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Boosh said:

Vick won’t do it so has to be Matt and Mollie! They need a weekday slot 

Matt is surely towards the end of his time at Radio 1?

If they were going to get daytime - they would have got the slots ahead of Vick & Jordan, RMC and Dean & Vicky.

I could see him leaving to concentrate on his business and doing cover on Radio 2.

47 minutes ago, Boosh said:

Vick won’t do it so has to be Matt and Mollie! They need a weekday slot 

Im afraid Matt is the new Dev fantastic reliable cover but has not got off of weekends after 11 years he will leave very soon i feel. Plus as an image youth station hate to say it because i love him but he is proper grey now if you look back at the cricket video from the DJ Hunt. Matt and Greg will leave in the next year or so im afraid.

16 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Im afraid Matt is the new Dev fantastic reliable cover but has not got off of weekends after 11 years he will leave very soon i feel. Plus as an image youth station hate to say it because i love him but he is proper grey now if you look back at the cricket video from the DJ Hunt. Matt and Greg will leave in the next year or so im afraid.

Sadly there is an age dynamic here and potentially it is a reason why Sam and Danni could even be the next Breakfast presenters over Jordan and Katie.

If Jordan and Katie don't get it in the next 12 to 18 months, it probably won't happen for them.

Few presenters have ever got Radio 1 breakfast aged over mid-30s.  Mark and Lard are about the only ones that spring to mind and that was the shortest ever full-time stint at breakfast.

Even Greg at 33 was at the higher end.

It shouldn't be about age but about connecting with audience but the figures speak for themselves.

3 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

...Few presenters have ever got Radio 1 breakfast aged over mid-30s.  Mark and Lard are about the only ones that spring to mind and that was the shortest ever full-time stint at breakfast.

It shouldn't be about age but about connecting with audience but the figures speak for themselves.

I think Steve Wright tops the list, at 39.

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I think Steve Wright tops the list, at 39.

Mark Radcliffe close behind at 38..

I don't believe for a moment in pushing presenters off Radio 1 until they are no longer good/relevant but it's a simple fact that a presenter is unlikely to be offered breakfast past mid 30s based on past decisions.

5 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

Mark Radcliffe close behind at 38..

I don't believe for a moment in pushing presenters off Radio 1 until they are no longer good/relevant but it's a simple fact that a presenter is unlikely to be offered breakfast past mid 30s based on past decisions.

10 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

Sadly there is an age dynamic here and potentially it is a reason why Sam and Danni could even be the next Breakfast presenters over Jordan and Katie.

If Jordan and Katie don't get it in the next 12 to 18 months, it probably won't happen for them.

Few presenters have ever got Radio 1 breakfast aged over mid-30s.  Mark and Lard are about the only ones that spring to mind and that was the shortest ever full-time stint at breakfast.

I think in reality for a youth station you do wish your flagship prime-time programming would be reaching out to a younger audience in every reshuffle. It’s a show that is hoping for period of stability and these days want presenter to be able to take on the show for 5-7 years and with having a younger presenter can ensure that once a presenter is picked that they can bring in a new younger audience that will stick around. It would be good to atleast in next re-shuffle a more Gen Z flavour is added to reach out to Gen Z and Gen A as Gen Y millennials move over to more nostalgia and adult contemporary stations like Radio 2, Virgin Radio, Radio X, Kisstory as more stations like that tending to start appeal to the older co-host of the stations listeners. 

I think the demographic and purpose of the station is about age.