Unofficial Mills

Songs that cannot be covered. Ever!

Which songs do you think should never ever be covered by another artist?

The two that spring to mind for me are:

Stand by Me - Ben E. King

Imagine - John Lennon

I think they're both untouchable, for different reasons: 'Stand by Me' has that magic touch. It's a complete song, whole. If somebody else were to sing it, it simply wouldn't be right. 'Imagine' is just John Lennon's song, and, therefore, cannot be covered by anyone else.

Actually Peter Gabriel sang Imagine at the Olympics opening ceremony. Did you see it?

And then at the Grammys a while back Luther Vandross was ill so they brought in Celine Dion to sing his song.

It has to be a REALLY competent and talented artist to cover songs like that.

myspace.com/phoenixstarr21

i agree with you totally, although i have to admit likin the another one bites the dust mix that is out at the moment. Think is though that i a remix not a cover, the the queen part of the song stays relatively the same...

Where would we be if we did'ht have rules....?

France, Thats Right.

Which songs do you think should never ever be covered by another artist?

The two that spring to mind for me are:

Stand by Me - Ben E. King

Imagine - John Lennon

I think they're both untouchable, for different reasons: 'Stand by Me' has that magic touch. It's a complete song, whole. If somebody else were to sing it, it simply wouldn't be right. 'Imagine' is just John Lennon's song, and, therefore, cannot be covered by anyone else.

In a quite ironic way, John Lennon covered Stand By Me, and its quite a good cover, done in his own way. I liked the video of Lennon's Stand By Me, it shows him and Yoko in a white Rolls Royce.

I am quite picky with Radiohead covers. Generally, I am against them. G4 absolutely murdered Creep, and presented it to a bunch of screaming 11 year olds in a way which lost the entire meaning of the song. However, Damien Rice's version was alright. No Radiohead cover does justice to Thom Yorke's singing though.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'