Unofficial Mills

Scott and Chris to present new Radio 5 Live show

Jono

Full story here: https://unofficialmills.co.uk/2019/10/scott-mills-and-chris-stark-to-host-new-bbc-radio-5-live-show/

I'm happy to hear this is the next step for Scott - even better than Chris is going with him. 5Live seems a good fit for experimenting with a new show, and a station without music will make it even more interesting. I suspect a move away from Radio 1 will be on the cards at some point. I'll be listening!

29 minutes ago, Jono said:

Full story here: https://unofficialmills.co.uk/2019/10/scott-mills-and-chris-stark-to-host-new-bbc-radio-5-live-show/

I'm happy to hear this is the next step for Scott - even better than Chris is going with him. 5Live seems a good fit for experimenting with a new show, and a station without music will make it even more interesting. I suspect a move away from Radio 1 will be on the cards at some point. I'll be listening!

He's doing well for himself. Radio 1 2 now 5 Live! Wow I don't think I've ever wanted to tune in before but now I do! 

Wow! Didn't see this one coming. How interesting - Mills on a talk station. Hope there's a podcast, I'm excited to hear how it sounds. And he'll be doing SEVEN days a week on-air for a few weeks - Show Monday-Thursday, Chart on Friday, 5Live on Saturday and Radio 2 on Sunday. Impressive. Shame for Geoff Lloyd who'd been covering that slot though, assumed he was gonna get it permanently.

Could also suggest it gears him up for a full time move to Radio 2 without Chris, this way they get to stay together once a week.

It seems a strange move and could be spelling the end of the 1-4 show on R1 meaning he'll just do Friday chart, Saturday on 5 and maybe weekday cover on R2? although the article clearly says no plan to bin the weekday R1 show off yet 

Funny enough Moyles was a whoooo today in the whoo game 

He may well be steering towards only working Fri/Sat/Sun and this is a step towards it as his partner Sam is on Nation Radio Saturdays in Cardiff so probably has to travel down Friday night therefore it may suit Scott personally to be doing weekends and have Monday to Thursday off to be with Sam who has just moved to London 

14 hours ago, OohErr said:

I could be wrong here, but it's possible that his Nation show is voicetracked, so it could be done from anywhere. I'm not sure Nation even have studios. 

They have studios in the Cardiff area according to WIKI but yes - one of my local community stations has a VT'd show once a week that is done by a guy from Plymouth who moved there for BBC local radio work, and voice tracks his show from there remotely, so he must have to log in remotely to the stations playout system (can't see the BBC allowing him to do that in their studios?) and do the links

I have a recorded show on a community station as it's a Saturday late overnight, however I have done it live a few times, generally recorded but the way the station works is I have to record the whole thing as if I were there live so listen to all the music as well, where as I have worked at another community station where you could voice track and just record the links into the system 

Sam's socials seem to point to him being in wales at the weekends though

On a side note... I went to Vegas in March and was served on the BA flight by Charlotte sister of Sam and sometimes stays at Scott's place, you often see her socials of her with Scott so Imagine she uses his to crash when she's flying early I was so star stuck that I didn't have guts to ask her about Scott lol 

I think this is in preperation to drop Scott from 1-4 weekdays.... or could we see Dev and Alice go 1-4 Mon-Thu then Scott still dot he chart on a Friday R5L Sat and 1-4 on R1 Sunday leaving Friday and Saturday 1-4 open for a new presenter/Adele maybe??? she has been covering that slot a bit recently so maybe it will be hers?? leaving weekday early breakfast open to Arielle and then weekend earlies to someone new?? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm listening! Fair few sport references already, that really funny rugby player was on who was on the Radio 1 slow last week and Vicky Pattison is the guest monitoring the messages. Happy to be getting my fifth podcast of the week back though, and great to hear them without the constraints of the Radio 1 format.

As a non-sport fan it's a bit of a struggle so far as I can't get wowed by the sporty guests they're talking to, but I do like that there's opportunity for Scott to shake off the youthful image and make jokes about Anita Dobson and Allo Allo.

I'm just glad they're on at a time I can listen for once... 5 Live certainly still sounds so much more tinny than Radio 1.

30 minutes ago, Darren m said:

I wonder if this will last a year and if they will leave radio 1 

Well with a new boss at the helm they'll want a shake up...

I was hoping it would be a bit more like Elis James and John Robins or Adam and Joe, which is less sporty. But perhaps this is what the average 5 Live listener wants to hear, I'm not particularly their target audience. They'll find their feet though, that'll be the beauty of this space they've been given.

It must be quite strange to have to basically do two hours of radio with very few interruptions. I thought Vicky was a bit of an odd choice initially for the first show guest, but actually she helped hold the show together. 

Scott posted an interview on his socials https://inews.co.uk/culture/radio/radio-1-dj-interview-scott-mills-radio-5-live-football-chris-stark-919993?amp&fbclid=IwAR0ePWvnSKluZ1Hs0jNj-A1hkYY2Q5gbWrMfvJYK1NyW_-01T-pd8_E--mU

Scott says he wants to branch out into speech radio plus he sounds "bored" of the Radio 1 format and constant music 

He does say he has no plan to leave R1 currently as well 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Jono said:

Robbie Williams is a good guest and is full of energy

I been dipping in and out sounds like a laugh and he and Scott have a good friendship off air too 

Been watching on the webcam too which is something R5L have still - wish R1 did that