Unofficial Mills

DC's Jobs & Education thread

DC

You don't pay for VI form but the school might ask for voluntary payments... my school is £25 a year, which goes towards publication of the annual school magazine, school trips funds for those who can't afford it, and some goes to the CCF.

What's so great about my school?

School magazine, school trip funds? You just proved it.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School magazine, school trip funds? You just proved it.

Does everyone not have a school mag?

Currently ours is a big glossy yearly thing. That's been going for over 150 years.

Aaand we're working on a weekly/ monthly one for VI form students, named after our latin school song. #geeky.

etheridge_tom.png

It is a bit mental somehow!! I agree. I'm not surprised Etheridge attends a school like this though !! :hahaha:

Back on topic, I received an email from a company who had had 1000 job applications for the one position. Now, this is really scary.

O, and I attended an interview on Monday. Was ... er... early... and the interviewer was so rude about it. D'uh. You would think that shows keeness and enthusiasm, but no..... a major problem instead?!?!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I've seen that program before in a previous series. Just seemed like some self-important self-described 'expert' telling people what she thinks they should do as if it were fact. Some of it was basic common sense. Glad I never encountered anyone like that while I was jobseeking, would have told them where to get off.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

The way the programme is presented is bad. They always seem to take the worst of people with tattoos, crazy hair, single mothers who don't care, and pull them into it. Can't have any kind of "normal" person jobseeking of course. They all just have to be total bums.

The actual fairyjobmother seems somehow quite a nice lady, but the programme itself is patronising. The handing people lists and telling them they have to do so many jobs in a week, and she has a look at it all is so school-like. I mean, headmistress watching over bad pupils.

I got into a spat on twitter about it last night, with someone who was telling me every reason someone couldn't get a job was just all excuses. I was furious last night, and wound up up past my 10 o clock bedtime as well. *mad*

Incidentally, I'd like to say I always do not agree with the concept that people HAVE to do any job because tax payers are paying the benefits. There are certain things that people would NOT be suited to. A care home has to be one of them. Surely these types of jobs are VOCATIONS, where you need to have exceptional patience with people !!

Also, I could never do customer service. I'd literally tell you where you could stick all your products. Couldn't work in TESCO either. If I got an obnoxious customer, I would just start throwing shopping ! !

It's just not every job people are suited to. I firmly believe Mr David Cameron needs to attend a Work Club, because he himself does not appear to know what he is doing.

i'm finding it hard to find something that i can apply for, usually every employer wants someone with about 20 years experience. so for a 22 year old who's only done one thing more or less since he left school, it's hard to even get a look-in.

on the grid.

Incidentally, I'd like to say I always do not agree with the concept that people HAVE to do any job because tax payers are paying the benefits. There are certain things that people would NOT be suited to. A care home has to be one of them. Surely these types of jobs are VOCATIONS, where you need to have exceptional patience with people !!

I don't think that's the issue at hand, in fact it's quite the opposite. Working in a care home is something where the employee would have to be well-qualified for the job at hand - people aren't going to be forced into that job. Instead I think the issue is people with good academic qualifications and high expectations being asked to stack shelves at a supermarket for instance. They might feel that it's not the sort of job they should be expected to do, and to be honest I can sympathise with that. Tough one to judge.

people aren't going to be forced into that job. .

Bullshit. My neighbour who is with a training provider (that's code for complete dickhead) has just been asked if he would work in the care sector. That's because Care is one of the industries (like security) who have apparently coped well despite the recession.

My neighbour has a degree in a completely different area - of course, if he refuses to go down this path, it will be seen to be refusing opportunities, and sanctions will be made against his benefits.

Also, the Government are gonna pretty much stand back (apparently), and let these training places do what they like, and that's gonna leave a lot of long-term unemployed people in a v. vulnerable position to be completely taken advantage of.

Please feel free to google the Government's Welfare to Work programme, which I am predicting will end in complete chaos.

No one is forcing him. As always you've made up your argument, and are sticking to it no matter what.

If he is qualified to do a job, and he refuses to do it, why not take sanctions against him?

and, 'in the care sector' could be management, admin, allocation of resources/ staff, HR trainers, etc.

etheridge_tom.png

No one is forcing him. As always you've made up your argument, and are sticking to it no matter what.

If he is qualified to do a job, and he refuses to do it, why not take sanctions against him?

and, 'in the care sector' could be management, admin, allocation of resources/ staff, HR trainers, etc.

Fair enough. It could be management, admin. - it just wasn't the way it was put to him.

And sticking to the argument, or not, I simply do not agree with sanctions. Life in these crazy job market times is hard enough without people making life even worse by cutting the amount you have to live on down.

O, and he's being told he's not applying for enough jobs full stop - even though he applies for 30 per month on average. I'd say that was pretty good going. As well as attending interviews.

What if you aren't qualified though, and someone insists you go down this path, purely for the purpose of filling vacancies, is that OK??

The reality of these Training Provider places which the long-term unemployed get sent to is they get money from the Government per position filled, so you get anybody booted into anything (fact).

Not argument. Actual FACT.

Edit: Yeh, brilliant, log off and run away, why don't you!!

he's being told he's not applying for enough jobs full stop - even though he applies for 30 per month on average. I'd say that was pretty good going. As well as attending interviews.

This is also my experience, even though the jobcentre's own listed expectation was TWO-THREE or more jobs a FORTNIGHT when I was last jobseeking... I have actually seen chavvy scrotes go in and basically say "Yo blud, ting is me ain't applied for nuffin, gimme my dolla..." (which infuriates me when they DO still get their money...). Apparently the excuse is that they can't check everyone, so they check 'randomly' (i.e not randomly at all, but the ones they KNOW are doing everything asked of them, so they can cut down on paperwork they have to do when they DO 'catch' someone frauding)

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...