New forum design

-sophie-

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long story short, vB3 (the last software) was built by people who knew what they were doing. Those people left/were fired and those who replaced them created vB4 which was full of flaws, badly designed and way too expensive.

i have heard that myself about vB4, the forums i help run (admin & mod) use phpBB & we only upgrade after a while (as our knowledge is a bit limited :( ) we do have a good look about first to make sure there are as few issues as possible,

i'm sure Jono has looked into this before he decided to change.

:)

We're British. We do that!

Haha! :D So true.

For those Facebook users, just remember how much people were going on about how they hated those changes. Whether you now love it or still hate it (personally I love it), we all got use to it. So we'll get use to this after a while :)

Haha! :D So true.

For those Facebook users, just remember how much people were going on about how they hated those changes. Whether you now love it or still hate it (personally I love it), we all got use to it. So we'll get use to this after a while :)

i have to say, the old look was getting a bit dated & cluttered, once a new banner goes up everything will be ok :)

:)

Kier and co. who were the main guys with vB3 all left/were fired when Internet Brands bought vB. The new people decided that they were going to reinvent everything, but kinda didn't - it was a mix of new code just written on top of the old code in a confusing and cluttered way, leaving out loads of features promised for vB4, and came out rushed because IB wanted to make profit immediately and figured they could release a half-arsed new forum software and then upgrade it gradually over time. But the improvements have been slow to non-existant, the code is buggy as hell, it's lost the look, feel and functionality of what it used to be, and Invision Pro and Xenforo (Kier and co.'s new software) have pretty much overtaken.

The plus for vB4 is that, unlike the last UnofficialMills site using a vB plugin to power the front page, vB4 comes as a suite with a proper front page system that integrates with the forums. So in that regard, it's a positive.