Unofficial Mills

the Gaming Thread

E*F*4L

as UM is full of geeks, there isn't much in the way of gaming chat etc :( hopefully this thread may help change this :)

with the imminent release of Red Dead Redemption (this friday) it is all ready being called the Game of the Year, it will have stiff competition with Super Mario Galaxy 2 though.

first though Red Dead Redemption is sort of like Grand theft Auto in the wild west,

Plot

John Marston is a partly reformed outlaw in America in the year 1911. When federal agents threaten his family, Marston is sent across the American frontier to help bring the rule of law. He must kill or capture his former gang members, including his old 'friend' and gang leader Bill Williamson or his family will pay the ultimate price.

Gameplay

Red Dead Redemption gives the player a large, open world environment allowing the player to move freely. Players on foot can walk, talk, shoot, kill, ride, run, interact with the environment, and combat enemies with firearms. Different breeds of horses are the main forms of transportation. Swimming is not an option, as the protagonist John Marston cannot swim and will drown if the player ventures too far into a body of water (though he is able to wade where the water is shallow enough).

The open world environment allows players to choose how they want to play. Storyline missions are for progress. Along with the main storyline, players can take part in random events they encounter as they explore the West. These include public hangings, ambushes, pleas for assistance, and dangerous animal attacks. Players can also take part in optional side activities ranging from standoffs, gambling, and hunting animals for pelts and meat.

Red Dead Redemption makes use of a morality system where players have the ability to gain positive or negative 'honor'. Some of the ways to gain positive honor include taking an outlaw alive instead of killing him, or saving a kidnapped innocent. Negative honor can be attained for committing crimes including killing and/or robbing civilians. This works along with another system, 'fame,' showing and governing how people react based on Marston's honor status

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

it has already been getting great reviews all round & even a 9 from EDGE magazine who are one of the toughest to please.

next up is Super Mario Galaxy 2,

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDX_fY3wDM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDX_fY3wDM0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

simply stunning, even better then the first game :D

anyone else in to gaming etc ?

:)

Sad as it may be, i'm a World of Warcraft player. *ducks*

My brother too... He can spend whole days playing it.. :D I never tried it. Is it worth playing it? What is so good about this game? :rolleyes:

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

i love fifa 10 and the new grand theft auto game. but i really do think games have lost a lot from a few years ago.

resident evil being the prime example. yes the graphics on resi 5 were great, but it's lost it's original stance. the storyline was utter crap. they wern't even close to the levels of the first 3 games + code veronica.

on the grid.

get a game called heavy rain its a really good game its quite sad and makes you think but id suggest it.

yeah i have heavy rain, its good but i'm not sure it deserves all the praise it's getting, i played a game a few years ago which is very much like it called Fahrenheit.

:)

My brother too... He can spend whole days playing it.. :D I never tried it. Is it worth playing it? What is so good about this game? :rolleyes:

Oh its awesome! Literally the best, most popular MMORPG (massivly multiplayer online role playing game) in history.

Though it does cost to play, but it is coming up to the 3rd expansion so its a good time to begin.. ;]

www.twitter.com/#!/AlistairRobb93

Though it does cost to play, but it is coming up to the 3rd expansion so its a good time to begin.. ;]

Depends on which version you play. My brother is using a free one (some guys illegally copied it and then put it on the internet, but for players it's totally legal he said), no paying and still loads of other people there to play with...

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

Depends on which version you play. My brother is using a free one (some guys illegally copied it and then put it on the internet, but for players it's totally legal he said), no paying and still loads of other people there to play with...

Ah yeah, private servers do exist. They seem fun if you want to mess around, as you can literally choose to kill anything / anyone instantly whenever you want (unlimited powers really) but live is where it's at! ;]

www.twitter.com/#!/AlistairRobb93

Forza Threeeeeeeeeee.

That.

GT5 is probably going to be awesome, but I don't think it justifies the high cost of a PS3 considering it's probably about the only game I'd play on it and I already have a range of Xbox 360 games anyways. Next purchase will probably be Ghostbusters, even though I borrowed it off a mate and completed it in about 2 weeks. Shootemups like that are not usually my sort of game so that I completed it at all surprised me.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...