Unofficial Mills

Greg's new afternoon show

Dave1

hmm not sure of the team idea, Moyles & Mills both have them, three shows would be to much.

two presenters may work but i cannot see anyone at R1 that could partner Greg, i don't think he would work well like that (i dunno, maybe) either.

nothing against the producers but maybe they should have been changed about also, because the movies have been removed & nothing has been put in its place, they knew this (when did Aled Tweet it) months ago, i cannot believe that the BBC bosses didn't see this, & sort it out.

:)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you're right with regards to the 'team' idea Alan, but the show did seem lacking somehow today.

Can't really put my finger on why though, which is a bit frustrating, as I'd like to be able to help.

Features? What do you all think? Bit more prep? Get the producer earning his salary?;)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

i personally think he needs to change the way he comes across, it may just be me i don't know, but he seems to talk at me & not to me, when i listen to nearly every other dj they are talking to me & not millions of other people.

now that the personal bit is out of the way, the show;

well im not a dj or have any inclination to be one or really understand the nitty gritty of being a producer or dj as some of you others are here on UM, i know of at least five members who want to do something in radio & are actively doing the relevant things at uni or where ever so in my comments about dj's they are in now way meant to be a slight against the dj profession.

as i said there has been enough time i would have thought to prepare the show, they knew months ago that is was happening, maybe a change round of the producers would of helped.

new features, well that's a hard one because you don't know if they will work unless you try them, but today there was nothing, as i described them all in my previous post on page #2, there is just nothing new, & i have heard it all before & done better.

don't get me wrong, Greg is probably a nice guy (not met him so i dunno) but i really feel that there should be more to a dj than just being able to play some music, especially on a station like Radio-1, maybe he can do more, but on todays show i didn't get any of that.

i'm not going to slag Greg off just because he took over Edith's show, it's only a radio show after all so i'm not going to rant & rave like everyone did when Colin & Edith took over from Mark & Lard, Colin & Edith never recovered from that, they were never given a fair chance, people just on the basis of them taking over didn't want to like them & exactly the same thing is happening to Fearne she will never be able to better Jo 'never' because because people won't give her the chance & a fair crack at it, all because Jo is the best & the way she was pushed out will be thrown onto Fearne.

the listeners will fall from Fearne & that will impact Gregs show as most people don't swap channels all day, the press will love seeing the ratings fall just as they love having Fearne as the top female dj on radio-1, because she is perfect tabloid fodder, Fearne won't last.

Greg has to come up with ideas as does Fearne, because thats exactly what Moyles, Jo, Edith & Scott do every day, you could put them in a room with no script & a bag of CD's & they could do a show with no prep entertain & play some music for a few hours, i just don't see the same in Greg or Fearne.

Its going to be hard as Moyles and Mills are entertainers, they provide a comedy element picking out the days stories and with features. The reason Jo and Edith worked in the schedule is that they both had interests. Jo had Music, Edith had movies and although a few didnt like this we cant deny it didnt work.

What has daytime got now? Greg and Fearne shoudl have been working on themes and Ideas for their noew shoes and the sad fact isnt - they just came out and played a few songs and got excited about their new shows - did they excite us - no!

I like greg, and hope he sorts this out quick! Fearne however is a lost cause!

10-1 should be a serious show, while 1-4 should be something light hearted to wind down to but also being informative.

I think actually the show could be classed as easy listening. When you're at work or driving you want small links and lots of music. The trouble with Edith was those movies links were way too long. It made me switch to local radio. Even if you're not a fan of the chat the links are pretty small so you can still enjoy the tracks.

I played the alphabet game :D It's a bit confusing though. D could be B. I think I'm just a bit deaf :|

Its going to be hard as Moyles and Mills are entertainers, they provide a comedy element picking out the days stories and with features. The reason Jo and Edith worked in the schedule is that they both had interests. Jo had Music, Edith had movies and although a few didnt like this we cant deny it didnt work.

What has daytime got now? Greg and Fearne shoudl have been working on themes and Ideas for their noew shoes and the sad fact isnt - they just came out and played a few songs and got excited about their new shows - did they excite us - no!

I like greg, and hope he sorts this out quick! Fearne however is a lost cause!

You all need to give both Greg and Fearne time to settle into their new shows and i think within that time they will start to develop more features and make their shows better.

Jo and Edith is what everyone is used to because they have been on for such a long time, now with the new djs with fresh voices and styles to get used to it may just be a matter of time until opinions start to change for the better for them both.

''is Dave1 the real Dave ? '' E*F*4*L

when Greg said we have a new American comedic character joining the show,

i though :shock: oh no he isn't is he!

& then had the newsreader pretend to be i have no idea what, but some American guy that Greg was interviewing/talking to, who does Greg think he is Adrian Cronauer ?

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8gndbh4ZMo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8gndbh4ZMo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

i couldn't believe it, on R1 of all places.

then a games thing was mentioned & i thought hang on there maybe something for me here, but nope, some woman (nothing wrong with women playing/talking about games, some are very knowledgeable & good at playing games & there have been some good ones on the tv in the past) but i dunno her name, but she had no idea, she said she had played some Call Of Duty game the other day for the first time !

"erm 5 i think it was",

"i played the new one also Modern Warfare 2, its a bit difficult to explain what the game is" ,

"its not out yet, but i had the chance to test it as its my job

[it was something like that anyway]

what is she on about ?

Call of Duty is a first person shooter, & she went along to a show & had a play of the Beta Test (loads of people do that, millions in fact even i have done it a few times), nothing no information about anything, the big thing gamers are talking about at the moment is FIFA & PES which is better etc this event happens every year, i don't know who as a gamer is going to write in & ask a question !

then he said there is a page about games & gadgets on the 1-Xtra site :rolleyes: what about your site/blog on Radio-1 ?

i didn't get the phone in thing either, some guy was pulling funny faces down the phone, well im listening on the radio ! i cannot see the funny faces (even if i had wanted to).

i don't know what to say, what i have said may come across as some sort of rant, it isn't meant to be or sound like one, i'm really trying to like the show but i honestly couldn't believe what i was hearing today, it was worse than yesterday.

it is just Greg playing some music, i want & expect more from R1 :(

am i being to harsh ?

No, you're just not making much sense.

well what i have said above is basically what i thought of the new features.

it looks to me that many people are disappointed in Greg's show, people have said they don't like Fearne's show for whatever reason, but not much on Greg.

someone else mentioned

JonathanEx I've just tuned in, and Greg appears to have chosen a glamour model as his gaming expert. Any excuse to get one in the studio.

i may end up liking Greg's show, i won't be afraid to admit it, but i cannot be the only one who thinks the show is poor ?

as i said before im not going to rant & rave like others did when C&E took over, im going to give Greg a fair chance & they are just my thoughts on the show.

come on Jono what did you really think of the features today ?

come on Jono what did you really think of the features today ?

I was on one of them so it's probably not such a good idea to ask ;) The features are simple, yes. But they always have been. It's an easy listening show - perfect for when driving or at work. Edith's show was weak because I didn't like all the long links for movies. The games review went slightly down that route but it won't be every day like movies.

More people are talking about Fearne's show because there's generally more dislike for her show. Not because they dislike Greg's more.

Unfortunately it marks the end of Johnny Minkley. Presumably that means the experts is another feature Fearne has dropped and again makes Fearne's show even less content-rich. But what Sim Wise does that Johnny doesn't do is interact with listeners uninterested in games. She's a lot more light-hearted.

has greg stolen loads of ideas of scotts show because he said your call coming up as a feature i thought that was an old scott mills feature.

Your calls coming up I would have thought.

I'm intrigued to what you mean by features from Scott's show other than that.

Unfortunately it marks the end of Johnny Minkley. Presumably that means the experts is another feature Fearne has dropped and again makes Fearne's show even less content-rich. But what Sim Wise does that Johnny doesn't do is interact with listeners uninterested in games. She's a lot more light-hearted.

Minkley will still be involved with Jo's show, once a month or so.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

call of duty is one of the biggest & best game series ever, it has won loads of awards & call of duty 4 won three BAFTA's, for any casual gamer it will be hard for them to take some one seriously, if they don't play games, especially the most popular ones, im sorry but she couldn't even explain what the game was about.

games news changes very fast, release dates etc are none news & irreverent, because games get their releases moved about often, the games feature has to be bang up todate.

Jono, i fail to see how it went down the movie route, you say it was a long feature? really it was a couple of minutes, seemed about 3 or 4 to me if that.

as i said, i thought the features were poor, the American guy, games & phone-in.

i don't really want to go on about Fearne in Greg's thread, it's not the new show people don't like, they just don't like Fearne, the same features are in the show & nothing has changed much feature wise.

Jono, i fail to see how it went down the movie route, you say it was a long feature? really it was a couple of minutes, seemed about 3 or 4 to me if that.

Really? I seem to remember most of 2pm - 3pm being covered by movies. I think James King is great but I'm not a movies fan at all and four days out of five it was too much for the non-movies fan.

as i said, i thought the features were poor, the American guy, games & phone-in.

So what features were so great on Edith's show in comparison? I only seem to remember two 'guess the track' games and the movies stuff? It makes it sound like I'm slating Edith's show. I'm not. But it seems weird to knock Greg's show if we're comparing it to Edith's.

Gregs show doesn't have any features, they are all poor, other than that it is just a guy playing some music, where is the entertainment ?

the BBC is supposed to be different to what the commercial stations have to offer, all they have is a guy playing music which is the same as Greg, there is no entertainment value in Greg's show, Edith could have done the show in this new format easily fail to see the need for a dj change then.

you said in one of your tweets the other day, something about Greg being a genius (something like that anyway) i'm still waiting to hear some of this genius dj.

i'm not going to get drawn into a argument, but to start comparing Greg & Edith shows is ironic as people (you even) are comparing Fearn & Jo shows when nothing has changed except the dj.

Gregs show doesn't have any features, they are all poor, other than that it is just a guy playing some music, where is the entertainment ?
You've not answered my question - what features did Edith have that made Greg's poor?
you said in one of your tweets the other day, something about Greg being a genius (something like that anyway) i'm still waiting to hear some of this genius dj.

Yes, I did. I found the clip of the lady from local radio mispronouncing Dido humourous.

i liked hearing interesting people being interviewed, & the info on movies.

before the show went towards movies there were some nice features, i cannot recall what most of them were, but there was one where Edith went round the country doing various jobs, & that one where they went into a workplace.

Edith's show "about the movies"

Greg's show "......................."

Y

Yes, I did. I found the clip of the lady from local radio mispronouncing Dido humourous.

that doesn't make a dj a genius, that would have normally have been on Scott's innuendo bingo.

Greg getting a news reader to pretend to be a American & then proceed to interview him, thats not poor ? & i concede that if you don't like games you won't see how poor the games feature was.