Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 DJ GCSEs 2009

simon38

Do you have an aversion to capital letters? :cry:

I think Greg will fail hahaha

BBC Radio 1 DJs are facing their toughest test yet.

Scott Mills, Edith Bowman, Greg James and Nihal plus a host of other BBC Radio 1, 1Xtra and Switch presenters are taking on a tough new challenge - to sit a GCSE exam.

Hundreds of thousands of young people across the UK are currently revising for their GCSEs and the Radio 1 and 1Xtra DJs are sharing their revision tips and discussing their exam experiences with listeners.

The stars are putting their reputation and nerves to the test as they sit a GCSE exam next Friday.

Last year Scott, Greg and a number of other Radio 1 DJs and producers sat a maths GSCE, but it was only Carrie Davies from The Chris Moyles Show who secured a C grade.

Scott and Greg are back to try again this year but, after their disappointing results last time, they have been allowed to choose their strongest subject - to see if they have more success this time around.

Scott Mills says: "After last year's result, the pressure is on for me to do well in the General Studies GCSE. I can't fail again. It's as nerve wracking now as it was when I was at school, but I have started swotting up so fingers crossed I pass."

The Radio 1 line-up includes Edith Bowman - drama, Greg James - geography, Nihal - bology, Aled Haydn Jones - geography, 'Comedy' Dave - biology, Andy George (In New DJs We Trust) - business studies, Jaymo (In New DJs We Trust) - English, James King (film critic) - drama and Becky Huxtable (producer, Scott Mills Show) - French.

The DJs have also shared their tips for exam success.

Edith Bowman: "Making up rhymes to remember things always helped me out when I was revising. And you should set yourself goals and award yourself little treats when you achieve them.

"When it comes to exam day, have a good breakfast and just tell yourself that you can only do your best. Try walking to school to help clear your head and take a deep breath before turning over the exam paper."

Scott Mills: "My best bit of advice is just don't worry, it will all be fine."

Nihal: "Record your revision and go to sleep with it playing in your earphones. Through subliminal osmosis it will be absorbed by the brain and you will be a straight A student in no time!"

Greg James: "Take some deep breaths, drink lots of water and have an early night. Also, after the exam, get the hell out of there, don't talk to anyone and don't dwell on what's just happened - there's nothing you can do so forget about it!"

Aled Haydn Jones: "To prepare for an exam food and sleep are essential. Make sure you get a full eight hours the night before - it's even more important than any last-minute revision as your brain will work much better after a rest.

"Make sure you have a good breakfast as skipping it will mean you'll struggle to concentrate. Eat something that will give you sustained energy, like porridge or a good cereal and avoid fatty or sugary foods."

'Comedy' Dave: "Make sure you turn over all the pages on the paper. I once did really badly in a maths exam when I left out an entire question about angles, a boat and a lighthouse that they'd sneakily put on the back page! These days, it's difficult to catch me out on stuff like that."

Beccy Huxtable: "Revise as much as you can but, if it's stressing you out, take a break and come back to it later.

"Also, if you're allowed, take an item that means a lot to you into the exam so that if you get worried or stressed you can look at it and it will instantly make you feel better."

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/passtheremote/2009/06/exam-time-for-bbc-radio-djs.html#more

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Drama exams? Jeesh, in my day we didn't even do a drama exam. It was just coursework and a play. Obviously to prove you're dramatic these days you have to write... :|

The advice for General Studies seems to be regularly "read a newspaper".

I'd love to have a go at doing a gcse.

It's easy enough to go on either the AQA or OCR sites and download past papers with mark schemes. I'll mark it if you want to remain impartial.

I think Greg has got a lot of work, as you have to learn all the case studies as well as all the theory. I don't think you can get higher than a C if you know all the theory but no case knowledge.

As far as I know, it is General Knowledge on Random Subjects.

I just did my AS level exam in it. Twas the most pointless thing ever, we were given an article then about 50 multiple choice questions on it such as "The title of the article is: a) bold b)italics c)underlined d)made of cheese". 3 hours of that! I almost ate myself it was that painful.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

As far as I know, it is General Knowledge on Random Subjects.

Me thinks they may have given him this to see how well he copes with "easy" subjects. Surprised he didn't do horse studies, lesiure and tourism or textiles though ;)

How on earth can they do justice to a GCSE exam in one day?

Especially a subject like drama where for a lot of exam boards there isnt actually a written exam...the mark is based on the practical exam and coursework..or will Edith and James King be doing their version of a practical exam that they can then video and put up on line?

Actually maybe that could be good..the listeners / viewers could give their version of what grade it deserves!

How on earth can they do justice to a GCSE exam in one day?

I think this is the point. They're trying to prove exams aren't easy.

Especially a subject like drama where for a lot of exam boards there isnt actually a written exam...the mark is based on the practical exam and coursework..or will Edith and James King be doing their version of a practical exam that they can then video and put up on line?

I joked about it on Twitter and she said she'd hoped it was a practical exam. Sounds like it's a written exam to me.

I'm pretty sure I read that Kutski is going to be doing one as well, not sure what though.

Its entertaining and a little sad that they all do so badly, hopefully theres a few who will do okay this time, I can see Nihal doing okay, he seems like quite a smart man. Greg would do really well if he swapped with Edith or James King. Scott should be alright with General Studies, hopefully they wont mark him down if he uses grammer like off of his show.

I'm pretty sure I read that Kutski is going to be doing one as well, not sure what though.

Its entertaining and a little sad that they all do so badly, hopefully theres a few who will do okay this time, I can see Nihal doing okay, he seems like quite a smart man. Greg would do really well if he swapped with Edith or James King. Scott should be alright with General Studies, hopefully they wont mark him down if he uses grammer like off of his show.

I think that comes under 'Quality of Written Communication' marks which they add at the end, however I think Scott doesn't talk like that in real life