Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 DJ Vicky Marsden dies

Jono

Vicky Marsden was an early morning presenter who presented just before Scott's Early Breakfast show circa 2001 leaving in 2004. She unfortunately died just before Christmas after a long battle with cancer.

She was first treated for skin cancer on her ear in 2002 but was advised that moving to Dubai, with its harsh sunny climate, would not increase the risk of the cancer returning. In 2006, however, it did.

After successful brain surgery at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London, Ms Marsden returned to Dubai, where she and Ms Midwood planned to co-present an afternoon show on Dubai 92. But when Ms Midwood suffered a bad car crash in April their plans were shelved.Ms Marsden did some solo broadcasting, but her experience at Dubai Eye, combined with her uncertain health, persuaded her and her partner Nick to return to Britain where her family was based. Routine tests earlier this year, coinciding with stomach pains, revealed that she had liver cancer, which metastasised swiftly. She died two months later...

Ms Marsden was born on Dec 18, 1974, and died on Nov 24.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081129/WEEKENDER/259999617/1308

Tragic news for someone who was just 32.

awful! i used to hear vicky on radio 1 a lot years ago, i remember when i was in wales one time unable to sleep in a tent in the early hours, and having her show on. i would rather of had her on weekday afternoons now!

0105.jpg

(an old staff picture from 2003)

rest in peace.

on the grid.

• 1 year later...

just wondering, but did they ever mention this on radio 1 at any point when it happened? i can't recall anything. shows, newsbeat etc? it would be strange that if not. to be honest i can't even find a bbc article on her death, all i find is the archived posts like this thread, chrismoyles.net & digital spy.

on the grid.

I'm also struggling to find much else confirming this. Not suggesting the original article's not true but there's little-to-nothing left in terms of articles outside of Forum posts... seems odd.

It's still possible to find articles re: John Peel (OK, more high-profile) and Kevin Greening (less high profile, and also less recent than the dates given) though.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

i always get the feeling with radio 1 they always try to cover their past. some dj's better than others agreed, but they have a 40+ year history to be proud of. and i think it's important to display it. more to the point if vicky was never mentioned at all at the time of her death on radio 1, then it's nothing short of a discrace.

on the grid.

Guest Goatboy1974

I read with horror this thread. I used to work nightshifts and listened to Vicky through out my nightshift career (although I'm doing a one off tonight). Chat tonight led to Vicky Marsden and I decided to google to see what she was up to and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the sad news. I used to harass Vicky endlessly over email and, whilst not every time, she often sent back equally as pointy emails. It was great fun and it sort of ended up being a friendship in the vaguest of ways. I used to request every night that she play Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and one day she emailed me saying "it's finally gonna play" or something like that . . . and I emailed her back from my day shift something along the lines of "No way . . . not when I'm off shift" to which I received various insults back the next night. The most memorable night was when the Queen mum died and all R1 DJs were forced to play mornful music so I demanded she play God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols. She never did but I'm sure she wanted to. She made my nightshifts really enjoyable, there was no reason for her to email back, but she did, as I'm sure she did to many others. She had the most amazing voice, silky smooth but kinda deep at the same time . . . if memory serves I went to Glastonbury in 2004 and when I got back she'd left Radio 1. I sent in some kind of vile email to the station bemoaning them for getting rid of her . . . little did I know she'd gone to the sun . . . and despite occasionally mentioning her to randoms she really dropped off my radar until today. It's really sad to think she's already been dead for almost two years. Thanks Vicky for those 4 years of nightshift enjoyment and hope, if there is some kind of after life weirdness, that you're having a good one.