Unofficial Mills

Why I'm thinking about Jesus for the first time

Rob

The sixth form i joined this year is also a Catholic senior school and because of this alot of the members of the sixth form moved up from the lower school and are Catholic. So at Christmas they're obviously going to have a gathering which I always feel really awkward because I'm not religious and don't know all the hyms and prayers off by heart but today at the gathering, the head teacher said something that really made me think.

I'm normally happy sitting there thinking "Walking on water, I don't think so. Healing the whellchair bound? Not my cup of tea" but whether or not Jesus could do those things Jesus has still impacted us all. Even if he was just a normal guy, someone has been inspired by him and started a school based on whatever they see in him. So no, I don't think Jesus could do all those things (though I'm not ignorant to those who do) but without Jesus I would be in a different school so I would ahve met different people and I myself would be totaly different.

So if you're not religious, next time you hear someone say "Jesus has an impact on us all" just think, he could well have.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

what about all the other religions then ?

i don't believe in none of it.

all it's about is blame, you can always put the blame on to your god when things go wrong for you, if there was a god & there can only be ONE, would he/she/it sit idly by while we kill each other in the names of other false gods ?

:)

I've never been totally convinced about religion in general, I'm open to the concept and I'd like to believe in it all but I think I'll always remain on the fence. I wouldn't call myself an atheist though, more of an agnostic. Although to avoid actually giving a serious answer on Facebook I put 'Jedi' as my religious views, haha.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

I don't understand how there can be a God with such insidents like Baby P

What I was taught at A-Level is that we have to have the bad to appreciate the good things in life. You're right, though, why that had to happen to Baby P I don't know.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I agree with that: good/bad balances stuff out. Without the rain, we wouldn't appreciate the rainbows.

The Baby P stuff: I would say the person who's done this will pay, either in this life, or the next.

Incidentally, the Kabbalah religion looks at the idea that - every thought, after action has a consequence (agreed).

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I've never been totally convinced about religion in general, I'm open to the concept and I'd like to believe in it all but I think I'll always remain on the fence. I wouldn't call myself an atheist though, more of an agnostic. Although to avoid actually giving a serious answer on Facebook I put 'Jedi' as my religious views, haha.

I'm kinda the same as you. I wouldn't dismiss religion but I can't see how you could believe it. When people ask me "so you don't believe in God then?" I don't really know how to answer. I think we're better off just not thinking aobut a "greater power" and appreciate what we have regardless of where it came from so I don't really think past that.

My facebook religion is radio one :)

I'm kinda the same as you. I wouldn't dismiss religion but I can't see how you could believe it. When people ask me "so you don't believe in God then?" I don't really know how to answer. I think we're better off just not thinking aobut a "greater power" and appreciate what we have regardless of where it came from so I don't really think past that.

My facebook religion is radio one :)

I totally agree, I just don't seem to have any religious belief, not that I have anything against people that do. I'm not a great fan of organised religion- to me there seems something a bit strange about all of the rituals, and people living their lives by a set of rules. Its seems to me as well that although a lot of people would class themselves under a certain religion, they often hold many views that are at odds with the orthodoxy.

On a slight aside, I was absolutely disgusted at the comments on Newsbeat from the Pope that homosexuality is as major a problem as dying rainforests.

caitlynmac.png

Religion's such a funny thing: I know I've been Protestant, then Catholic... and in neither one can I find true answers. I've looked into Kabbalah, now I may look at Budism, I think. It's so difficult, it really is.

Religion is reeeally interesting; I took it for A-Level, it's really good once you delve into it. Buddhism is a good one, Viv, check it out :)

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I think you can live a happy and fulfilling life without religion too, if that is the intrinsic purpose of religion; religion remains a lifestyle choice, of course, not a fundamental, indispensable, sacrosanct or mandatory aspect or component of being one is erred if living without.

Religion's such a funny thing: I know I've been Protestant, then Catholic... and in neither one can I find true answers. I've looked into Kabbalah, now I may look at Budism, I think. It's so difficult, it really is.

We were talking about TS Eliot in English who's poetry is pretty much about trying to find an answer in life but he write aobut the fact that people spend so long looking for answers and not appreciating what thry have here and now that before they know it there life is over.

then does that still make you catholic

I don't know I believe in most of the bible but things like noahs arc and other miracles I don't really see how its possible, but I do still believe in God. Its all a bit confusing. I think even if your religious you still have your own views and interpretations on things

*Jono enters the thread*

Surely if you believe in a God who can't do miracles then he's not very good?

But I'm sure the argument was God created the planet and it was our own fault if we mess it up. He gave us a choice (such as with the apple in the Garden of Eden).