Unofficial Mills

Do you shop in Woolworths?

Jono

Yeah my local Woolworths worryingly resembles my The Sims 2: Open For Business shop, which sells a bunch of random furniture and tacky items. Today there were 2 chairs, a coffee table and a clothes rail selling in Woolworths, as well as kids' clothes, some sweets and some CDs. Oh and they were doing a roaring trade in selling remote control helicopters, but I think they were just using the space.

It's pretty sad really, it's got less than a week left. It does look totally different though from when I was little and got 99p toys, pic'n'mix and spice girls chocolate bars, although it does still sell those plimsolls I wore in primary school for PE.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in woolies in glagsow today they were selling everything from shelfs to there safe :) £300 for the safe i dont really know the value of a safe but that seems quite cheap doesn't it :)

Zavvi's went into administration because they were mainly supplied by the suppliers woolies owned. The sales better be good!

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

So does this mean that HMV is going to be the only high street music and DVD retailer? I guess the internet is taking its toll but I still like to buy CDs in person. In Nottingham there's Fopp that is still pretty good but that's owned by HMV and there's only a few left. WHSmith has stopped selling most CDs and the ones it does sell are massively over-priced. It's sad but I guess I'll have to get used to deciding a few days in advance if I want a CD and waiting for postage.

So does this mean that HMV is going to be the only high street music and DVD retailer? I guess the internet is taking its toll but I still like to buy CDs in person. In Nottingham there's Fopp that is still pretty good but that's owned by HMV and there's only a few left. WHSmith has stopped selling most CDs and the ones it does sell are massively over-priced. It's sad but I guess I'll have to get used to deciding a few days in advance if I want a CD and waiting for postage.

Everyone seems to think it's down to downloads and supermarkets. I don't believe that, I think it's because Zavvi/Virgin was just just overpriced, much like the problems with Woolworths. I wanted the Radio 1 Live Lounge 3 CD and they were charging £15.99 for it. I went to HMV and got it for £9.99 on the day of its release. Zavvi seems to have refused to compete and as a result has not made the profits they need.

I have to agree that it's a shame there's few stores selling DVD and music now. Even one of the two HMVs in Norwich has shafted it's CDs to the back of the store and filled the store with DVD shelves. The nearest CD outlet for me will now be thirty miles away in Norwich because of the closure of Woolworths. ASDA do their CDs cheaper but it's out of town so I doubt it has had too much effect on HMV or Zavvi for the typical teenager. Now it'll just be HMV...

Yeah I mean WHSmith sell CDs but they seem to cater for the parents/grandparents shopping for children/grandchildren and buying the latest chart CDs and being prepared to pay £15 for them, like in the olden days (7-10 years ago). I don't think I've bought anything much in Zavvi for quite a while, HMV have seemed to have a better selection lately. When it was Virgin Megastores they had a decent range of guitar books which I used to buy, but Zavvi stopped selling them.

Croydon's famous second-hand music shop Beanos is closing too. It might mean the emergence of more independent music shops at some point though.

what isn't helping is that the shop-sites like WH-Smith sell things cheaper online than they do in the shops, i wanted the new michael palin - 80 days round the world book, its £12 on the WH-Smith internet shop but £20 in the real shop, but as i use Amazon where its £12.20 i have got it from them instead (its silly to have loads of accounts with different internet sites for security reasons) so shops like WH-Smith are putting themselves out of business, GAME for example sell the stuff in their shops at the same price as they do online :)

Amazon is probably one of the best sites to shop on as you can get anything really.

:)

I was in there today, big sign up '5 days to go' and another asking people not to physically or verbally abuse the staff. Hmmm. Looking at the 50% off CDs and DVDs, they are mostly still more expensive than I'd expect to pay in HMV. No wonder they couldn't compete.

i finally went into my local Wollies today & :shock: it was just like walking into one of them old shops that they used to have in Russia in the Soviet era, 90% of the shelves were bare & people picking around to see if any of the clothes would fit etc, their was nothing in their for me to buy so i thought i will just have to make do with some sweets, but when i got to where the sweet area is, it was empty they had none left :(

was a bit sad really as this one is one of the ones that are closing today :(

:)

• 1 month later...