Unofficial Mills

Listen again to move to iPlayer soon

Jono

I dont imagine they will...the reason iPlayer is UK only at the moment is down to airing rights and whatnot.

It's not down to that. It's down to the issue of bandwidth. The BBC are paying a heck of a lot for the video streaming, including the stuff they do for Radio 1's videos. This is why they restrict it. And the cost of radio is a bit different. But if it's using iPlayer technology it will be more than likely to be UK only.

But I think changing it to UK only for radio would be a bit of an own goal.

Of course there is the issue of license fees, and so those that demand it to be UK only are within their own rights to say so. The only other option is adverts.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When is the move due? The RadioPlayer works fine for me in Germany right now...

I wouldn't really understand why the BBC would be interested in making their radio programmes available in the UK only. Airing rights is a strange argument, because record companies actually profit from their music being available to as many listeners as possible.

Licence fee...okay, that's the only understandable reason for making radio 1 a national programme. Costs - no. BBC News Online shows ads to users outside the UK. They could do the same with the Radio 1 Homepage (it's due to be re-designed anyway, isn't it?) and make loads of money with it.

Finally: is the BBC really "there to make revenue"? I dont quite believe that. Could you imagine something like BBC-stocks being traded? That would just be the next step...of course, they're not charity, but they are asked to put all their income into their programmes, rather than make profit, aren't they?

unique...

What really bothers me is the fact we internationals can't download most podcasts. For example, the new 6music George Lamb podcast, which is all talk, not much music! And the argument about copyright I find bizarre as well, because I could quite easily log into the UK iTunes store from my house in Vancouver and listen to its music.

Other stations podcasts, such as Virgin Radio, are filled with music! So I don't understand why people outside the UK should be restricted from listening and enjoying "international" Radio 1.

And the argument about copyright I find bizarre as well, because I could quite easily log into the UK iTunes store from my house in Vancouver and listen to its music.

That's thirty seconds, which up until recently, was all the BBC could have on their podcasts.

As I said, ads would be okay for me...

By the way: would anyone of you like to try and visit daserste.de (a German TV station which is pretty much financed like the BBC) and tell me wether you can view any of the videos available in the "Mediathek" (which you find in the right column)? I don't want to argue that I should be allowed to get every BBC production because you are able to watch German TV(which I pay for, too...). I'm just interested in how the Germans handle this.

unique...

Here's the new look iPlayer with radio. It promotes better "quality". There'll be a Beta version online tomorrow.

New rights deals will also allow listeners to fully rewind and fast forward BBC radio content online for the first time.

A mobile version of the TV element of the integrated iPlayer, for the iPhone and iPod Touch, will be available tomorrow.

Video here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/25/bbc.television1

So what's the new deal for iPhone iTouch users, I don't get it? can we listen again now? Or are they just doing behind the scenes stuff to it that we won't notice?

It's supposed to launch in Beta later today.

The new iPlayer for radio isn't that impressive. It's just Real Player as some of us already to Listen Again. I was expecting some fancy new BBC technology like with the TV stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayerbeta/

My question was more iPhone based as it's already on the iphone, I was just wondering from your earlier post if they'd said there would be any noticeable changes to people who use it through their iPhone?

Can you not seeing anything new? I am under the impression there's a new interface.