Unofficial Mills

Carol Barnes close to death

iain_smith

It strikes me as odd that this is such a prominent headline of today's news. I mean sure she is a popular broadcaster and it's tragic, but I wouldn't have her down in the same league as some of the people we've lost recently. Does the world really have such compassion for a newsreader as it perhaps does with people like Jeremy Beadle?

I'm very surprised that so few of you have heard of her, but then again I am ancient.

I wouldn't even put Carol Barnes and Jeremy Beadle in the same sentence I'm afraid Jono. She is a respected journalist as well as a newsreader, as most of them indeed are.

That said, it is tragic that a woman as young as her with a 26 year old son has suffered a near-fatal stroke - I wish her and the family all the very best.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

It strikes me as odd that this is such a prominent headline of today's news. I mean sure she is a popular broadcaster and it's tragic, but I wouldn't have her down in the same league as some of the people we've lost recently. Does the world really have such compassion for a newsreader as it perhaps does with people like Jeremy Beadle?

I'm surprised at your lack of compassion Jono :(

For once iain_smith was correct :(

This is such sad news. Carole Barnes will be very harshly missed.

I think we could all see it happening though. Things like this don't make the news if they thought she'd make it through.

My uncle had a stroke a couple of years back, just about recovered to learn he's got terminal cancer, life can be so cruel. They say these things come in threes, and I've already lost one good friend last year and I have another who's probably not going to make it through prostate cancer.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'