Unofficial Mills

Derren Brown

Jono

*This thread contains spoilers of his current tour that you may wish to skip if you are going to see him soon*

What an amazing fella he is. Saw him tonight in Norwich as his TV shows are very clever, but wanted to see what he was like live. Very smug, funny and clever. Didn't know he has a bit of a shake with his head though.

He threw frisbees out to random members of the audience to preventing picking what might be stooges. He taught a lady to predict the cards that the front row had, and then supposedly took her powers away.

He could predict everything six people were thinking of on stage (but sent one away for some reason). He bandaged himself up and answered questions through thoughts and got those to use a microphone if it was their question. He could then say more about them. He also got people to put questions in a pot during an interval (something that happened back in the 30s). He just went by the initials and seat row on the front to guess what was inside. He made them stand up and predicted exactly what was in it, and could say more about them too. All very weird!

He knew what jobs they'd had, where they lived, what day they were born on, their star sign, etc. He even knew that one envelope was written by a kid who had written something like "w*nker". He threw it into the audience and turned out it said "c*ck".

He also did a seance was felt a little far fetched - clever but too many people do things like this now. Even Yvette Fielding does that!

There was also this thing where he got someone to put their hand up if they knew a friend who would have their phone on at that time. To try and prove it's not just someone in the room. He picked a bloke who had a friend who worked at the Bank of Scotland. He took some details and said he wanted him to try and recall the digits "473" as he predicted. He didn't. So he asked him to do it again. He came up with six digits that weren't correct. Seemed like it was all going wrong. But it wasn't. He'd said he'd give him a £10 if it went wrong. So he gave it to him, but then asked for it back. On it was the six digit serial number that the guy on the phone had given.

At the end the box lowered which was raised at the start of the show. In it was a rolled up piece of paper. The person who was to unroll the paper had been picked from the audience and was the person who could get closest to the number he was thinking of - 99. One woman predicted 96. She unrolled the piece of paper which he'd wrote at the beginning. It contained key words and details of the members of the audience - and the word 'apple' which turned out was the word the lady was thinking of that he turned away. He turned her away because she had changed her word shortly after. It also contained 'Bank Of Scotland' - the bank the guy worked for that had been called up that night.

He also asked some people in the stalls to think up some three digit numbers. They did that, and it was added up by several people. The total number? 3308. The number that had been on his badge all night, and coincidentally the date.

Just pure amazement. As Derren says... there's dishonesty in his methods, but at the end of the day he's honest about his dishonesty. And that is why he's so popular.

Sounds bloody amazing! I've always wanted to see him live cause his shows on telly blow my mind. He is one of those people who do their thing and for like days after you'll still be like How the hell did he do that?!? He is a genius! Glad you had a good night! :D

~*~Glory Glory Man United~*~

Sounds bloody amazing! I've always wanted to see him live cause his shows on telly blow my mind. He is one of those people who do their thing and for like days after you'll still be like How the hell did he do that?!? He is a genius! Glad you had a good night! :D

it does sound amazing doesnt it??? he is a completly amazing man!!

Kitty <3

I'm so jealous of you Jono, I'd love to go and see Derren Brown, I loved his "Something Wicked This Way Comes" show that was on Channel 4 a few months ago. For those who haven't read his book I seriously encourage you to do so, it's a real insight into his techniques.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Call me weird but I don't find it unsettling, I find it fascinating! Now I know that some of his work is just plain old trickery, but his use of psychology and deception is amazing. If I had half the brain of what he has, then I'd be an A grade Oxford Student.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brown joked that he is sorry to disappoint any girls that had a crush on him.

"If any of them want to try to turn me... no, no, I shouldn’t say that," he said.

That's my favourite quote of the article, I've always liked Derren's sense of humour!

Although I never thought of him as gay, it hasn't surprised me. I'm not too worried about his sexual preference, he's still awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone been watching his "Trick or Treat" series recently? They're quite good, you can still watch them on 4od.

The David Tennant episode was good as was the week before. Really talented man.

Nothing wrong with Harry Potter :shock:

Don't you know!? "had it been in the old testament, Harry potter would have been put to death!"

And i've just watched the negative suggestion episode on 4od. Really funny when that man looked through the hole then just...collapses, and brown just walks off casually.

-