Unofficial Mills

Greg's new contract

onlyME

3 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

Smart from Radio 1 - you don’t want to lose Greg anytime soon now there’s no clear successor.  Anyone know how long a contract renewal would be for?  Another year?  

And as we have seen with Jordan - contracts can be ended on either side.  (Jordan clearly exercised his right to end his early).

However, bottom line here is Greg is likely staying for the foreseeable now.  Definitely the right choice for the station. 

Greg will definitely end up being at least the second longest ever Breakfast Show presenter now.  He only has two months to go to beat Tony Blackburn as the third longest presenter and about five to replace Grimmy in the number 2 slot.

Interesting as he mentioned in November/December that he’d renewed it just before they did that week in Dundee. Wonder if it was only confirmed now and this has been going on in the background since then, which is why Jordan hasn’t covered breakfast recently.

Reading between the lines there seemed to be a weird situationship going on between the bosses, Greg and Jordan. Not great for Greg if he's had to wait for this all to blow over before getting confirmation, but happy that he's sticking with Radio 1.

Roman and Jordan have the same management so Jordan would likely have been aware for a while that a gig at Capital was available. It's likely Jordan's management went in to Radio 1 and said match Capital's deal.  Radio 1 stuck with Greg. 

This deal with Greg did not happen overnight. For reference it was the end of May 2018 that it was revealed Greg was the new host of Breakfast. He left drive on mid July and started 20th August.  Grimmy finished breakfast 9th August.  So a new contract would have started at one of those points.  

Also Greg was 32 when he started Breakfast Jordan has just turned 34. Think Jordan might have worried time was running out?

11 minutes ago, callspy said:

Roman and Jordan have the same management so Jordan would likely have been aware for a while that a gig at Capital was available. Mind you Capital has allegedly tried to get Greg before now and failed but they may have tried again.  It's likely Jordan's management went in to Radio 1 and said match Capital's deal and push Greg out of the way or he's gone.  Radio 1 stuck with Greg.  This deal with Greg did not happen overnight. 

With the BBC launching new spin off station to Radio 2 I wonder if Greg is holding out for a slot in a year or so over there. Then again Scott was going to get a new contract at Radio 1 before he left.  Greg is doing well in the ratings well over 2m ahead of Capital breakfast and popular with young listeners. Don't try fix what isn't broken I think in this case. 

For reference it was the end of May 2018 that it was revealed Greg was the new host of Breakfast. He left drive on mid July and started 20th August.  Grimmy finished breakfast 9th August.  So a new contract would have started at one of those points.  

Also Greg was 32 when he started Breakfast Jordan has just turned 34. Think Jordan might have worried time was running out?

My latest thoughts I think Jordan would have been a shoe in for Breakfast definitely but 2 things. If Greg wanted to stay longer than that’s longer Jordan has to wait and with the BBC you’re only a scandal away from being the headlines which could scupper his chances.

Also I reckon Jordan would have had to share breakfast with Vick, Katie or Molly but will definitely be taking the lead on capital  

22 minutes ago, callspy said:

Roman and Jordan have the same management so Jordan would likely have been aware for a while that a gig at Capital was available. Mind you Capital has allegedly tried to get Greg before now and failed but they may have tried again.  It's likely Jordan's management went in to Radio 1 and said match Capital's deal and push Greg out of the way or he's gone.  Radio 1 stuck with Greg.  This deal with Greg did not happen overnight. 

With the BBC launching new spin off station to Radio 2 I wonder if Greg is holding out for a slot in a year or so over there. Then again Scott was going to get a new contract at Radio 1 before he left.  Greg is doing well in the ratings well over 2m ahead of Capital breakfast and popular with young listeners. Don't try fix what isn't broken I think in this case. 

For reference it was the end of May 2018 that it was revealed Greg was the new host of Breakfast. He left drive on mid July and started 20th August.  Grimmy finished breakfast 9th August.  So a new contract would have started at one of those points.  

A part of me feels that Radio 2 Extra might not make it to air with the only presenters at Radio 2 that they would go for are Paul Gamboccini, Bob Harris, Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker and maybe Craig Charles. The current plan they have isn’t worth taking to air. 

3 hours ago, abertom said:

My latest thoughts I think Jordan would have been a shoe in for Breakfast definitely but 2 things. If Greg wanted to stay longer than that’s longer Jordan has to wait and with the BBC you’re only a scandal away from being the headlines which could scupper his chances.

Also I reckon Jordan would have had to share breakfast with Vick, Katie or Molly but will definitely be taking the lead on capital  

I think it’s probably the fact Greg clearly wants to keep going and within 2-3 years if he stepped down then, in a Scott Mills way Jordan could well be looked over and they go with a newer presenter.  It was now or never and it looks like it was going to be never.