Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

13 minutes ago, Lee E said:

If Jordan has got a new gig in radio he is probably bound by an NDA not to reveal until they do so I wouldn't read too much into the fact he hasn't spoken yet

I would punt that he has a new radio gig at Heart Capital or Bauer (Ben Cooper??) he would not leave R1 lightly he is too dedicated and a geek

Rumours are rife that Roman is becoming new perm host of the one show so don't be suprised if it is announced

Greg being off today is naff all to do with it he has Covid

SHOCKED YES! totally, excited too yes...

Positive spin, this opens doors for Katie, Arielle, Dean etc in the future if Greg goes which he will one day it is inevatibe

Arielle on breakfast wouldn't be a bad thing she is very Sara/Zoe esque

What has suprised me: 1. RMC haven't had a move out of it, 2. M&M haven't had a move out of it well overdue a promotion however are the pinicle of the weekend broacasting with Charlie following them

Jack - I would have said again suprised but he has just had a promotion to FS

Let's see what happens in the next 48hrs

Roman already has that gig, they announced it a while back. He replaced Ronan Keating, who only presents the programme occasionally now.

1 hour ago, onlyME said:

Capital with Chris and Jordan would be the dream.

The optics of replacing a Northern voice with a Chelsea toff doesn't look great. 

Capital FM or even Hits Radio as they replace legacy brands like Swansea’s The Wave would be a good poach after poaching Ace for their new sunday night R&B Show on Kiss FM

I feel that since it could make sense for Greg James to leave this year too or at the end of the year it could be a very short stint for Jamie Leing on drivetime I assume and later on another big shake-up can’t see him as a long term figure.

They were talking about the future of their show such as replacing Judge Jordan with another feature, so surely they wouldn’t plan something like that if Jordan knew he was leaving. 

Definitely something to do with Mega Massive Monday or a project such as Celebrity Big Brother 👀

I am giving this way too much thought now... but the press release doesn't actually say Jordan is leaving. Or when. It just says they will be saying goodbye to him. And it just says Jamie will be joining Vick to co-host from the 4th March, not permanently...  It's all very fishy to me and not in keeping with their usual style of announcements surely?

The Big Brother comment made me think maybe Jordan is going to be on a temporary project elsewhere or something, maybe a charity challenge even

Just now, xxladybarefootxx said:

I am giving this way too much thought now... but the press release doesn't actually say Jordan is leaving. Or when. It just says they will be saying goodbye to him. And it just says Jamie will be joining Vick to co-host from the 4th March, not permanently...  It's all very fishy to me and not in keeping with their usual style of announcements surely?

The Big Brother comment made me think maybe Jordan is going to be on a temporary project elsewhere or something, maybe a charity challenge even

That’s my thought, something to do with big brother, or another big project. 

2 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

https://theversion.co.uk/jordan-north-to-leave-radio-1-as-bosses-line-up-dean-mccullough-to-take-over-from-greg-james/

I have absolutely no idea on the reliability of this site but this is perhaps the worst news possible. 

About Dean “has managed to hold on to the audience figures that Scott Mills had at lunchtimes“

I don’t review the RAJAR stats but is this even correct? 

Think they might be putting that as Deans been the occasional cover but by no means does he seem the best first fit for it

Even though I don’t rate him that highly, Dean has got to be favourite for next Breakfast Show host now. But not much choice. He can’t bring Vicky with him though - honestly I think that show is awful, I really struggle to listen to it. 

Bloody hell - did not see that coming at all. Really bad news for Radio 1. Jordan was one of their very best and presumably must have been poached by somebody else.

And as for Jamie Laing being his replacement- ugh! He was bad enough as maternity cover for Mollie King so for him to suddenly get such a plum role is a real slap in the face to the other DJs.  Surely Katie should've had first shot at the Going Home slot and if not here then Matt and or Mollie.

2 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

It isnt a prank 

I agree all this speculation that is is a prank is not true they would not have announced it like this if it was

Jorsham is quiet as well meaning he is bound by an NDA

Have to say if Jordan is gone then can't see myself lasting too much longer with Radio 1.

Some of the best DJs seem to be sidelined time & again when new roles come up (Katie, Matt & Mollie) and many of those I still listen for are nearer the end than the start of their Radio 1 careers. Can't see Vick staying around much longer with her changing life circumstances these last few years and the likes of Greg and Matt surely won't be on Radio 1 in a few years time.

27 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I feel that since it could make sense for Greg James to leave this year too or at the end of the year it could be a very short stint for Jamie Leing on drivetime I assume and later on another big shake-up can’t see him as a long term figure.

You see I look at it differently - the loss of Jordan would be a big shock. Will they want to lose Greg too? Surely not.

2 minutes ago, Jono said:

You see I look at it differently - the loss of Jordan would be a big shock. Will they want to lose Greg too? Surely not.

totally not agreed

Remember when Scott left for R2 he didn't even talk about or promote that on air so was probably bound by an NDA as well so imagine it is even tighter with a move to a rival

5 minutes ago, Lee E said:

totally not agreed

Remember when Scott left for R2 he didn't even talk about or promote that on air so was probably bound by an NDA as well so imagine it is even tighter with a move to a rival

I always thought that was because Scott didn’t want people to follow him so they stayed with R1.

Chris announce he was going to capital 8 weeks before he left and didn’t even start there for 3 months although in this situation they’re probably waiting for Kemp to announce his next move (if he’s going at all)

This is a huge blow to Radio 1. My guess is Global made Jordan an offer he simply couldn’t refuse and they didn’t give him a huge amount of time to decide. Jordan leaving in any case would be bad, but if going to Capital even bigger. I might be wrong but I think Radio 1 are going to have a huge challenge drawing new, younger listeners in coming years - simply due to teenagers attitudes to the radio format and what else is available.

25 minutes ago, Jono said:

I know they didn’t want Jordan to leave but if they can manage to launch the 00s/10s station of what assume that can label working title of ‘Radio 1 Anthems’ and with the closure of Radio 1 Relax. I think going into 2025 the station will vastly have a different set of programming as it does now. By August Greg would’ve done six years on breakfast and already with other podcasting, broadcasting and writing interests it seems that he may have other interests he would pursue. I think naturally the right moment to step down and if the main station is to focus on the younger demographic of the flagship ‘Radio 1’ as ‘Radio 1 Anthems’ and ‘Radio 1 Dance’ launches on DAB+. Maybe there be re-negotiation of some contracts to afford to fund the new stations.