Unofficial Mills

Dean and Vicky Hawkesworth to present Radio 1 afternoons

Jono

BBC Radio 1 have announced that Dean McCullough and Vicky Hawkesworth will join forces to host a brand-new daytime show (Monday – Thursday, 1pm - 3.30pm) on the network, with the first show broadcasting on Monday 5 September 2022. It will be the first weekday programme to move out of London and broadcast from Salford as part of the BBC’s Across The UK plans, announced by the Director General in 2021.

Dean and Vicky will be taking over from Scott Mills and Chris Stark who announced their departure from Radio 1 last Friday 1 July.

Both Dean and Vicky were given their first opportunity to host on the station during the 2020 festive period as part of Radio 1’s Christmas Takeover - an initiative created by Head of BBC Radio 1, Aled Haydn Jones - which provides a valuable springboard for emerging presenters, giving them a once in a lifetime opportunity to broadcast on the UK’s biggest youth radio station.

From there, Northern Ireland’s Dean permanently joined Radio 1 in September 2021 to host weekends (Friday – Sunday, 10.30am – 1pm) and has quickly proved a huge success amongst listeners. He has brought his infectious energy to weekend mornings and has interviewed stars such as Anne-Marie, Aitch and Tom Grennan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/bbc-radio-1-dean-mccullough-vicky-hawkesworth-afternoon-show-salford

Underwhelmed to be honest, and signed up here just to vent my frustration. This time 2 years ago I could listen to Radio 1 for 12 hours straight, now all I have left is Greg in the mornings and Danny Howard on Friday night.

Maybe the pandemic changed a lot of the presenters' perspectives, but just feels like the BBC have been caught short and they've been replaced with a mediocre lineup. Only presenters I like who've come through recently are Katie, Jordan and Jack Saunders. 

I hope Jordan gets his own afternoon show sharpish, he's much better when it's just him interacting with listeners.

Also a bit gutted for Matt. Think he'll be the next to announce his departure.

True, is that strategy working for them though? I'm 28, and I don't know anyone even my age who listens to the radio. All my friends use Spotify, and I'd imagine teenagers even more so. I'm certainly not Radio 2's target demographic (yet) but even I'm starting to feel unwanted here.

Besides that, Steve Wright's listeners seem even more distraught with the news than I am ?

I guess it will take next year's listening figures to find out.

Whooooooo!!? I mean that in jest, as I'm actually too old for Radio 1 anyway. Aside from Scott the only other daytime presenter I've listened in to is Jordan North. He's pretty good and deserved a go on afternoons imo.

on the grid.

4 hours ago, Jono said:

I mean nobody expects the Scott Mills fansite to be delighted with whoever replaces Scott and Chris. But I think it's clear water between Radio 1 and Radio 2 - which is perhaps what bosses will want.

I think this is maybe where I am finally getting old for Radio 1.  I still love most of the output but I just don't get Dean's style and maybe it is me rather than him.  

What do those of you right in the demographic think of the change?

(BTW - How much more civil are we about change to the Radio 2 lot? ? )

10 minutes ago, Darren m said:

I wonder if Sam and dani will get the chart show 

I don’t know but quite possibly James Cusack could be another name its quite something that there are some big risks being made with McCullough, Hawkesworth and O’Leary given some high profile slots. Think Aled is taking a very different approach to it not having people to work the early hours before something big to open up. Think and do hope we’ll see some big risks to be made with Radio 1. Think each reshuffle theres an idea of something different at work.