Unofficial Mills

Are you concerned by the new terror plot news?

Jono

"2,976 people died in these attacks." - Wikipedia. That's how many people died on September 11th, so something similar, yes.

Do you think they might make some permanent rules about hand luggage limits in the future?

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"2,976 people died in these attacks." - Wikipedia. That's how many people died on September 11th, so something similar, yes.

Do you think they might make some permanent rules about hand luggage limits in the future?

in all the attacks? i was watching some recorded live tv from abc in the US i think on youtube on the other day. and they were all saying it would run into tens of thousands. luckily they were wrong, although at the time of it. it seemed possible. the worst thing about the recent plans is that there was no possible escape like there was in one of the towers.

on the grid.

"The fatalities were in the thousands, with 2976 people killed, including 246 on the four planes, 2605 in New York City in the towers and on the ground, and 125 at the Pentagon. Among the fatalities were 343 New York City Fire Department firefighters, 23 New York City Police Department officers, and 37 Port Authority police officers." - that's the exact numbers on how many died.

It's true, 10 planes crashing or exploding over cities would kill probably tens of thousands of people at least.

I agree with that. So many times more people are killed on the roads each year than on a plane. If you're living in the US, there's a 1 in 84 chance that you'll die in a motor vehicle accident, compared to a 1 in 5,051 chance that you'll die in an air/space incident. Those facts are taken from this month's National Geographic magazine.

Indeed.

It is worth noting that in fact a human has NEVER been lost in space. All the deaths related to the space programme have actually happened within earth's atmosphere. Seems space is statistically safer than being at home to me.... :-p

(obviously this may change if Branson manages to get Virgin Space Travel off the ground :-p)

what harm could you possibly do with a book ffs?

Try asking the people that misinterpret holy texts to their own ends and agendas... they seem to be doing a whole lotta harm with a book.

I think the point is that you could hide explosives in a book. But you could hide explosives in your underwear or inside yourself somehow I'm sure if you were that determined... I mean there are some people who thought it was a good idea to search everyone who goes on the Tube, but searching everyone who flies is difficult enough to manage. I don't think it's going to be the long term solution.

it should all calm down soon. i see this all as a very good day, we wont have them carry this attack out at all. i think the MI5 and the country's intellegance have done a good job. of course they cant stop everything but look at how many things have came up on the news in the past which they have foiled, and thats just the ones we know about.

on the grid.

I was oblivious to it all until I read the local news on the internet and they were on about terror plots :-?

I know numerous amounts of people going on holiday this week. Terror aside, must be so much hassle.

Me and my daughter were just discussing ringing up to enter the SWOS with C&E this morning, then we heard the news...we both looked at each other and said "Don't think I want to go to Ibiza with Colin & Edith now!!!"

It is awful but as It isn't affecting me I am sort of apathetic to it all although my Nan did ring me up tonight and ask If I wanted to go to Italy next year :doubt:

I think the point is that you could hide explosives in a book. But you could hide explosives in your underwear or inside yourself somehow I'm sure if you were that determined... I mean there are some people who thought it was a good idea to search everyone who goes on the Tube, but searching everyone who flies is difficult enough to manage. I don't think it's going to be the long term solution.

Me and my children flew on a plane for the first time on September 12th 2001.

My nephew was 7 months old and they took him out of his pushchair and actually made my sister take off his nappy to check it. That was humiliating for me even though he wouldn't know any different :-X

that experiment with that chrazy looking scientist on tonights bbc news. underlined how fatal the stuff they were going to use it. he had around the same amount as 10+ teaspoons and it blew a hole through a peice of steel no problem. a 2 litre so called bottle of coca cola?

on the grid.

Eek!, Wonder if this pakistani woman is related to any of the ones that have been arrested over here?

A US airport was closed overnight after plastic containers in a passenger's hand baggage tested positive for explosives.

A routine security check revealed suspicious substances in the luggage at Tri-State Airport in West Virginia.

The FBI are now questioning a woman passenger.

Airport manager Larry Salyers said he was told the 28-year-old woman was of Pakistani descent but had moved to Huntington from Jackson, Michigan.

She had purchased a one-way ticket to Detroit on Wednesday.

A security officials noticed a bottle of water in the woman's carry-on bag as she prepared to board a flight to Charlotte in North Carolina.

Officials said a machine security checkpoint screeners used to test for explosive residues registered positive.

A canine team then got a positive hit for explosive materials as well.

Officials said one bottle contained a gel-type facial cleanser and that the bottles would be moved by robot to a remote area of the airport where officials would attempt to detonate them.

Tri-State airport is nine miles west of Huntington in Wayne County, near the Kentucky border.

It is served by two airlines, Comair and US Airways Express, with a half-dozen flights on weekdays.

Yesterday in Berlin some idiot behind me was talking to his wife about bombs on a plane-this was 5 minutes before we actually boarded.

I did abit of swearing on the way back the turblance was really bad and I couldnt sleep,so I ended up talking about rubbish to the guy next to me.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

Yesterday in Berlin some idiot behind me was talking to his wife about bombs on a plane-this was 5 minutes before we actually boarded.

You should have smacked the guy one across the chops and told him that his conversation was inappropriate at this time!, People are freaked out enough with the security measures without having to worry they are going to be blown up over the Ocean somewhere in mid flight.

You should have smacked the guy one across the chops and told him that his conversation was inappropriate at this time!, People are freaked out enough with the security measures without having to worry they are going to be blown up over the Ocean somewhere in mid flight.

You'd probably have been done for violence and considered a terrorism threat and marched off the plane and thrown in prison for hitting someone in an airport :-p

But yeah, that wasn't a very tactful conversation topic.

I can tell you, I am feeling safer flying again now the security is laxer. Had a flight today and I didn't have my id checked at all - was very strange, good on ya BA haha.

I was with Ryanair!I swear the cleaner flew us on the way there,we had a really bumpy flight :shock:

I got searched at the airport cos I beeped!Was quite embarrasing cos loads of people were staring!And it was all because of the metal from my operation last year!

twitter.com/emgreatorex

My leg always sets off the machine. Today I got a wee wipe off my leg to check I wasn't hiding anything inside it :D

They had to get my Mums consent to search me! I hate it when you have to take off your belt and then you have to rush to put it back on again!:doubt:

twitter.com/emgreatorex