Unofficial Mills

Cover shows

abertom

Why do Radio 1/1xtra seem to use the same presenters to cover multiple shows in a short space of time?

e.g. Scott is covering Breakfast all week and is also cohosting chart and covering request show (although Scott's amazing I would have given request show to someone else).

Dev has got 2 weeks of daytime and breakfast show cover coming up but is taking Matts show today

Adele is covering for Dev and Charlie Sloth this week! (Should be one or other not both!)

Why do Radio 1/1xtra seem to use the same presenters to cover multiple shows in a short space of time?

e.g. Scott is covering Breakfast all week and is also cohosting chart and covering request show (although Scott's amazing I would have given request show to someone else).

Dev has got 2 weeks of daytime and breakfast show cover coming up but is taking Matts show today

Adele is covering for Dev and Charlie Sloth this week! (Should be one or other not both!)

Completely agree. As much as I love hearing Scott on at the weekend and although he is brilliant no matter what show he is covering, I thought it was a bit unfair asking him to do 5 hours of live radio back-to-back considering he has to get up and do the breakfast show the next day and for the whole week. Adele Roberts could have done it as she covered the Request Show for Jameela before and was great.

I never get to listen to Dev much because of his slot so I like hearing him at the weekend and I do think he should get a weekend show in the new year but I agree- they could have gotten Sara Cox or maybe Annie Mac to cover? I've always thought that Annie Mac is brilliant whenever she's covered Fearne and should get more daytime cover.

I imagine it is to do with payments and negociations with their agents to secure a contract for it. Its not like they pick someone out of thin air, they have set deputies for each show. It is just unfortunate the timing sometimes!

Scott is the main cover presenter for 3 weekend shows (Radio 1's Dance Anthems, The Official Chart Show and Dan & Phil) so it's quite a nice gig to have. especially as he only has to do it once every two months or so. I do love how stuck-in he gets even though those shows have completely different formats to what he's used to.

• 2 weeks later...