Unofficial Mills

George Lamb to leave BBC 6Music daytime slot

Joe Boy

Controversial BBC 6Music DJ George Lamb is to leave his weekday show for a new weekend slot on the digital station.

He will be replaced by Lauren Laverne, whose Saturday afternoon show will be taken on by Radio 5 Live's Richard Bacon. Lamb, who has divided listeners to the music station, will give up his current weekday berth between 10am and 1pm to move to the 7am-10am breakfast slot on Saturdays and Sundays.

6Music's current weekend breakfast DJ, Iyare, will leave the station as a result of the changes, which take effect from Monday 30 November.

Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish's award-winning 6Music Saturday morning show will start an hour later, at 10am, as will Liz Kershaw's lunchtime slot.

Bacon will be on 6Music from 3pm to 5pm on Saturdays, and be followed by Jon Holmes, who moves from the 2pm slot.

"Lauren is an outstanding talent and we're delighted she is going to be a pivotal voice on the network," said Bob Shennan, the controller of Radio 2 and 6Music.

"George has done a brilliant job in daytime and I'm pleased he's agreed to transfer his amazing energy to weekends.

"And with Richard joining Saturday afternoons, it's a significant and exciting time in the development of 6."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/nov/02/george-lamb-leave-6music-daytime

Maybe Lauren on mid-mornings will pick up the disenfranchised ex-Whiley listeners who don't like Fearne. Seems like a logical move for the BBC.

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what I think about this - on the one hand I'm glad he's being replaced by Lauren Laverne during the week as she's a much better DJ, but on the other I'm not happy that he's moving to the weekend slot, as that's when I listen to 6 Music the most and I really like listening to Iyare. But yeah, it'll be good for those that can't stand Fearne anyway.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...