Unofficial Mills

The Review Show with Nihal

DJ89

I think you perhaps have to be a Nihal fan to enjoy it. As a big fan of his weekend show, I like it. I like the idea and I agree it's a better use of an hour than trying to get an INMWT show in that time. There is nothing decent on TV tonight and I can see this being a decent alternative.

It looks like Brooker has tweeted about the show so there's quite a big following on Twitter talking about the show. Some people who have never heard Radio 1 refuse to tune in, those that will give it a go seem to enjoy it.

I would question the rating system a bit. Rating something "70%" is a bit random. I'll say more when it's over.

I love Brooker, which is why I don't understand how he can hate Chris Moyles so much and yet seem to have a fond affection for Nihal, who refers to him as UBER-reviewer. Nihal is practically everything that Brooker rants about on Screenwipe.

I reiterate my love for Brooker, but he seems to be starting to, dare I say, sell out a little.

I love Brooker, which is why I don't understand how he can hate Chris Moyles so much and yet seem to have a fond affection for Nihal, who refers to him as UBER-reviewer. Nihal is practically everything that Brooker rants about on Screenwipe.

Do you not think someone else might have just wrote that description?

Trouble with Nihal is he always seems to try too hard. Speech Debelle was just trying to make a serious point and he kept interrupting her with lame jokes. No need! I like the concept of the show, but why not try and be serious, just for an hour? I'm not asking for a Radio 4 style show, but young people won't tune out just because they hear something mildly intelligent.

I also think the rating system is unecessary. If the reviewers make their point well enough, there shouldn't be any need for them to come up with a random percentage.

Trouble with Nihal is he always seems to try too hard. Speech Debelle was just trying to make a serious point and he kept interrupting her with lame jokes. No need!

I found it funny. I guess it's that marmite opinion of Nihal there. I actually have found Speech Debelle quite arrogant.

I also think the rating system is unecessary. If the reviewers make their point well enough, there shouldn't be any need for them to come up with a random percentage.

You might be right here. There's something about the ratings that doesn't work and you might be right about scrapping it. The idea is the best one is played tomorrow on Greg's show.

I found it funny. I guess it's that marmite opinion of Nihal there. I actually have found Speech Debelle quite arrogant.

You might be right here. There's something about the ratings that doesn't work and you might be right about scrapping it. The idea is the best one is played tomorrow on Greg's show.

Ah I see, not a bad idea. Maybe a mark out of 10 would be better then. I don't get how you can distinguish between say 71 and 72%. Nihal's OK, I just think he needs to calm down a bit. He's actually a really good broadcaster, but he should just be himself rather than feeling the need to be funny or clever all the time.

It's essentially Hit, Miss, or Maybe from Live & Kicking, but with a more annoying host.

I like that element of it though. Retro.

If I had my wicked ways I would probably do something with the ratings. I would probably brand it more as 'BBC Radio 1's Music Review Show' (because for some reason I thought it'd be a mix of all sorts). I would also probably get more listener interaction involved if it's going to be live. Maybe some pre-recorded callers, take some texts or perhaps a fan page of some sort where people can give their opinions before the show and take the better opinions. It's just that having three minor celebrities is great. They just don't necessarily represent our views.

I do not doubt that opinions will be taken on board and that it's a work-in-progress show and format.

Another thing about the ratings is that Nihal keeps interrupting their opinions to get their percentage.

Overall I think they probably have too many songs in the hour, perhaps they should stick to the big 5 releases of the week. Also, a bit of film, TV or book discussion wouldn't go amiss, just to add a bit of variety.

And Nihal needs to calm down.

But overall I'd give the show 63%...

Is it just me or did Speech Debelle appear to take it a bit personally she didn't win the ratings thing?

Another thing about the ratings is that Nihal keeps interrupting their opinions to get their percentage.

I sense it's due to the time limitations. Part of me wouldn't mind an extra say ten minutes on a podcast.

I like the idea of this show. I'll be listening in the future.

Liking the concept alot. What I heard was good and I think this kind of show falls better with Nihal. I hope this idea works out and the shows comes into its own over the next few weeks. I personally would like to see this kind of show on every day 9-10pm with Nihal as anchor.

Mon - The documentary thing is good - maybe a kind of Panorama for our generation on the radio.

Tues - keep with the music theme

Wed could be a book/arts review programme

Thurs - Movies.

Liking this radio1 - one of the best shows so far to come from this re-shuffle and think its the kind of thing that keep radio 1 edgey above the rest!