Unofficial Mills

Is Moyles Radio 1's Best Breakfast DJ?

Jono

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/sep/02/radio-one-chris-moyles

The Guardian are talking about whether Moyles is really the best of them all. On a personal note I can't think since listening to Radio 1 on and off that anyone else could take the crown. Moyles is who made me a regular listener to Radio 1.

I never used to like him at all, I only started listening to him when ScottCam was on and they were playing pranks on Scott. But really like listening to him now and hearing the teams chats. Plus of course singing along to 'Aled is here' :D

Best Radio 1 Breakfast DJ I've heard ;)

Apart from Scott of course!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

He's the second Radio One breakfast host I've gotten into (the first being Mark & Lard, who I loved as a kid) but the first who I listen to as appointment listening. Is he the best? Possibly. Chris Evans could lay a strong claim to it, as could Blackburn and even Noel Edmunds, but Moyles is our/my generation's breakfast show host and has helped transition Radio One into what it is today, for better or worse.

The difference between him and Evans is simply that Evans was one of the first people to do the show that he did in this country, and sadly Moyles may end up being the last - very sad, and I genuinely fear for R1's future when he's gone because I don't think their view of what a DJ should be completely holds up with what made Moyles and the station a success in the first place.

He's the second Radio One breakfast host I've gotten into (the first being Mark & Lard, who I loved as a kid) but the first who I listen to as appointment listening. Is he the best? Possibly. Chris Evans could lay a strong claim to it, as could Blackburn and even Noel Edmunds, but Moyles is our/my generation's breakfast show host and has helped transition Radio One into what it is today, for better or worse.

The difference between him and Evans is simply that Evans was one of the first people to do the show that he did in this country, and sadly Moyles may end up being the last - very sad, and I genuinely fear for R1's future when he's gone because I don't think their view of what a DJ should be completely holds up with what made Moyles and the station a success in the first place.

It will be a sad day next July if he does go.

james_ryder.png

Totally agree M1TCH3LL. I think he's the last great DJ this country will see, at least for a while. While Scott and Greg are both great, I'm doubtful that they could have built up such a loyal audience at breakfast. I think he is the best - he's the voice of this generation. But people were probably saying that about Tony Blackburn 40 years ago.

Why would he go in July? Why replace something so popular? And don't mention age, please.

Indeed. Aled said he hits all the right points and as Chris said as long as he and R1 are happy he will continue. So if his listeners stay high fingers crossed he will stay where he is so long as R1 dont loose there minds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/sep/02/radio-one-chris-moyles

The Guardian are talking about whether Moyles is really the best of them all. On a personal note I can't think since listening to Radio 1 on and off that anyone else could take the crown. Moyles is who made me a regular listener to Radio 1.

I like how not everyone likes him links to Paul Gambaccini sayin he should be sacked

james_ryder.png

British Radio is crap, absolute garbage in terms of entertainment for people aged 16 - 40. Most of the BBC local radio stations are good at what they do, but in terms of general entertainment there are very few DJ's out there who dare to be different. There is far too much shows which have a running order of

3 Songs

That was this is

Furthur 2 songs

Brief plug of the stations breakfast show

3 songs

Brief chat

News

3 Songs

Chris Moyle had dared to be different, that's why I like him. He has very few competitors out there. He is not just a DJ, he's an entertainer, he makes people laugh. I think British Radio needs more people like him.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

British Radio is crap, absolute garbage in terms of entertainment for people aged 16 - 40. Most of the BBC local radio stations are good at what they do, but in terms of general entertainment there are very few DJ's out there who dare to be different. There is far too much shows which have a running order of

3 Songs

That was this is

Furthur 2 songs

Brief plug of the stations breakfast show

3 songs

Brief chat

News

3 Songs

Chris Moyle had dared to be different, that's why I like him. He has very few competitors out there. He is not just a DJ, he's an entertainer, he makes people laugh. I think British Radio needs more people like him.

Take yesterday mornings 1st half hour for example. They chatted to Greg about total rubbish played bus noises yet it was brilliant radio to listen. Yet when Scotts on breakfast I go back to sleep hearing a song at 6.33. I prefer to listen to Chris & team chat till 6.55 :D

james_ryder.png

Take yesterday mornings 1st half hour for example. They chatted to Greg about total rubbish played bus noises yet it was brilliant radio to listen. Yet when Scotts on breakfast I go back to sleep hearing a song at 6.33. I prefer to listen to Chris & team chat till 6.55 :D

There are very few people who can master the art of simply chatting and making it interesting. I always find what Chris and his team have to say interesting, very few people can do that.

Scott sticks to the more traditional radio show format yet manages to be very entertaining, mainly due to his brilliant personality. He also stands out from the crowd, but in a different way to Chris.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

There are very few people who can master the art of simply chatting and making it interesting. I always find what Chris and his team have to say interesting, very few people can do that.

Scott sticks to the more traditional radio show format yet manages to be very entertaining, mainly due to his brilliant personality. He also stands out from the crowd, but in a different way to Chris.

Definately. I always remember Edith getting it spot on once saying that there is so much chat as there is so many of them. Also what was said previously about him breakin from the norm is evident in his more frequent changing of lined up music. Its kind of a way of giving what we want to here rather than the same old stuff

james_ryder.png

Guest inxces4308
Take yesterday mornings 1st half hour for example. They chatted to Greg about total rubbish played bus noises yet it was brilliant radio to listen.

Definatly agree.

Defiantly disagree.

However, its each to their own.

Yep they are both great to listen to and hugely different. I found it easy to stay awake when Scott was on breakfast and the time flew by, he talks more later on while Chris and the team talk from 6.30.

Poor thing needs time to wake up!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I wouldn't call Scott imaginitive at all. At best, he's a good DJ who understands his audience and the need for a show that keeps itself to itself and is self-contained and there for a laugh on a day to day basis. At worst, he's a hack who uses other people's material and sugarcoats it enough that people don't notice.

And that's not to say that Scott is bad because, if you strip his show apart, he's a very good old school presenter who understands how the medium works at a fundemental level, something missing with a lot of people. Chris is a mile beyond Scott though, because he is a broader presenter who appeals to a broader range of people and, IMO, understands the medium better. He does a deeper show that actually relies on things in the real world (news stories and items that Scott wouldn't touch because it may not seem like subject matter suitable for what Scott does, which is fine) and that requires a lot more concentration and that breaks the mould of typical radio presenters and follows the more unconventional but successful routes of the greatest DJs we've ever seen - Stern, Whale, Evans, etc.

More than that, Moyles has done something with his show that has only been done by guys like Stern - he's made a show that you can take out of its medium and out of its core audience and that can stand up in the real world as something more than just a radio show. That takes an exceptional level of talent, something Moyles will sadly never be credited for.

Chris Moyles is a good morning DJ, but i much prefer Scott to Chris. Scott is kinder and funnier and his team have a more equal role in the show.

Chris can be excellent and I do like the way he isnt afraid to challenge things...but Chris does seem to allow himself to be a bit too crude and cruel/insensitive sometimes. I hate the way he goads/teases Dom especially, and in my opinion he sometimes is too sycophantic towards his guests like Davina from BB, and I found the whole interview with The one show woman irritating, who cares that Chris has set up a fake twitter for her? What is meant to be funny about that?

Having listened to all the breakfast DJs since the start, I would just say they all had their own merits in the era that they presented the show. A bit like football, it's difficult to compare like for like from different eras. Blackburn will always stand out because he was the first. Moyles is very good too but I wonder how things would be if their roles were reversed? I imagine they'd both get taken off pretty quickly for different reasons.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

I'll never understand why people don't like Moyles being mean and "crude". It makes awesome radio. I wish he'd tease his team members more, maybe to the point that one of them cries.

Sadist!

I have no objection whatsoever to the 'crude' bits, but personally think the 'mean' parts can go a bit too far sometimes. To be honest, it's the shouting first thing in the morning that annoys me the most.

Having said this, I still listen from the moment I wake up, and do regard Moyles, as I do Scott as both being fine DJs, surrounded by equally talented producers/sidekicks.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.