Unofficial Mills

Surgery Results Special: 23 August 2009

Viv

I believe the UCAS people will be on with Aled on Sunday, 23 August 2009.

Sorry if I've not got this quite right, Aled, but I'm a bit dense today and drinking lots of coffee.

PS: The title is meant to be "UCAS With The Surgery" - it's now managed to sound like toast with jam. D'uh. Never mind. F*** it.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

There was something that bugged me about UCAS and exam results Surgery last year and I can't remember what it was. I felt it was too narrow minded so I'm going to try and remember what it was to make a valid point!

From a year ago:

I find this show a bit vague. I know I've been there, done that, but I read a lot of university forums and I find it interesting. I find this show is just more of a morale boost than just helping out individuals and giving detailed advice.

I think if I was tuning in today after not getting the grades I wanted, I'd want some serious advice to force me out of my seat to do something about clearing. The advice given just sounds like common sense.

It's alright for DJs to say they did alright, but with the exception of Greg, they got into the business long before university really mattered in media.

Damn you finding the thread just as I posted this... It was actually Greg presenting as Kelly O had failed to turn up after ironically being the martyr of all things exams. So turn up Aled ;)

Basically I found the show too general. Everything was generalised too much and it just came across as common sense advice. Which of course some will want - but not two hours worth. The general message being everyone should go through clearing and call up the university if they did bad. I wanted to hear more individual cases - it wasn't caller specific that year - and so it added nothing more to the content already available on the websites.

Some people will want gap years, some people will consider going back to college for another year to improve, some will want to work, some will have problems about the money aspect, some will not want to leave home. There'll be those who want to defer a year, those who have decided after getting their results they want to do something other than what they've chosen on UCAS and want to know how to change, there'll be some who have done their A Levels and don't want to do university and want other options. Some will want to know how to get a remark if they think they've been marked unfairly.

I'd like to hear more about clearing. What to do if you've done better than you expected and have suddenly decided to go to university long after the application process. Don't forget mature students and disabled students who might be put off by university.

Just throwing some ideas out there but I just felt last time it didn't tackle the issues enough and only looked at results as if everyone's problem was just that they hadn't done well and would be weighing up the next step. None of the above questions. Not forgetting I guess that GCSE and other exams will be included.

Try this forum, Aled, to get a good idea of stuff people are asking about A Level/university. Might be worth putting up for the links too as they have some good advice and encouraged me to go to uni despite poor grades. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Thanks Jono. I'll do my best. My fear for tackling these issues is that they'll be reluctant to give specific advise in case they give the wrong info. But as I say, I'll do my best.

Quite rightly so that they would be reluctant but I just think that one should not ignore that there are a number of situations out there. As opposed to a show where it is assumed everyone should go through UCAS -> bad results -> clearing :)

Top tip also if you are in to a university - make use of social networking! Most universities these days have a Freshers Facebook group which sends out regular updates about what's going on and you get to talk to people in the same situation as yourself. Just type in something like "[Name of University] Freshers 2009". I did that last year and met one of my best friends by talking to him before starting.

Media degrees aren't helpful - they'll hurt you more than help you in the short-term. Media is all about experience.

I only went to university to cure the boredom and show I'm doing something. I'm doing a politics degree which has a slight bit of media to it. The rest will be about experience. I wouldn't rule out not going to university just because you want to do something that doesn't require uni.

I only went to university to cure the boredom and show I'm doing something. I'm doing a politics degree which has a slight bit of media to it. The rest will be about experience. I wouldn't rule out not going to university just because you want to do something that doesn't require uni.

Student radio, for example, could be a good way in of course - as with other such clubs and societies.

I didn't say don't go to Uni, but don't go into a media course thinking that it's going to fast-track you to media success because it's going to kill your chances of doing anything as a stand-alone degree, unless you make use of the work experience elements of it, including the SU station and meeting like-minded people.

The Uni experience will benefit you far more than your certificate will.

I enjoyed the show yesterday, Aled! I think the reason why young people are so confused about what to do after they get their results is due to all the mixed messages which they get all through out our schooling. When I was in secondary school, I was constantly told that if I wanted a decent career, then university was my only option and that everything else was merely a consolation prize for people not clever enought to get into uni.

Well, I got my GCSEs, A Levels, undergraduate degree and am finishing off a post grad degree and for every single job I've applied for so far, I'm either too overqualified or too inexperienced.

Young people need more information, so thanks Aled for doing the Surgery! Keep up the good work!

I was quite angry about my school. They put so much pressure on me to do three A-Levels and that I should go to university. I was like a parent's bad son when talking to teachers about university because I didn't want to go that year and just wanted to see what happened in my gap year.

Then when I chose to go a year later with just two A-Levels I was able to get in, even though the pressure was on to have done three. The university was much more impressed with stuff like Unofficial Mills and journalism that I'd produced than the actual grades.

Have I flagged behind because I didn't do as well at A-Level? No, I dare say I've done better than some with the entry grades.