• La Roux
    • Speech Debelle
    • Friendly Fires
    • The Horrors
    • Lisa Hannigan
    • The Invisible
    • Led Bib
    • Sweet Billy Pilgrim

The Mercury prize nominations for 2009's best album have been announced, and the list features the eclectic lineup of newcomers, chart stars and unknowns the prestigious award has become known for.

Florence and the Machine, Kasabian and Bat for Lashes are the favourites to walk away with the £20,000 prize, voted for by a panel of critics and music industry figures. Synth-pop duo La Roux and Scottish indie-rock quartet Glasvegas are also hotly tipped.

The winner of this year's award will be announced on 8 September 2009.

Nominations for the Mercury prize 2009 (with odds from bookmaker William Hill)

Florence and the Machine – Lungs 5/1

Kasabian – West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum 5/1

Bat for Lashes – Two Suns 6/1

La Roux – La Roux 6/1

Glasvegas – Glasvegas 6/1

Speech Debelle – Speech Therapy 8/1

Friendly Fires – Friendly Fires 8/11

The Horrors – Primary Colours 8/1

Lisa Hannigan – Sea Sew 8/1

The Invisible – The Invisible 10/1

Led Bib – Sensible Shoes 10/1

Sweet Billy Pilgrim – Twice Born Men 10/1

I think the Kasabian album is really good, not a bad track on there. Can never tell though with the Mercury music prize. Sometimes it goes to someone mainstream, other times to someone no one's really heard of before. I have heard of nearly all of these apart form Speech Debelle and Led Bib but haven't heard many of the albums in full.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I think the Kasabian album is really good, not a bad track on there. Can never tell though with the Mercury music prize. Sometimes it goes to someone mainstream, other times to someone no one's really heard of before. I have heard of nearly all of these apart form Speech Debelle and Led Bib but haven't heard many of the albums in full.

Precisely what I was going to say! I remember when Klaxons won and that was pretty shocking because they're quite mainstream. Also Elbow last year. I'm hedging my bets with Florence this time, I think. It's not who I want to win, more who I think will win. I thought Little Boots would be nominated.

There's no option for Glasvegas?

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Florence and the Machine has potential as does La Roux. But I've not heard enough of their music yet. Kasabian aren't too bad but I'd rather see some newcomers. I'm tempted to go for Bat for Lashes. Lisa Hannigan and Friendly Fires are good also. Nothing quite stands out for me like Elbow. If The Horrors or Glasvegas win it'd be a bad day for music...

• 1 month later...