Unofficial Mills

american radio is so bad

LJ123456

today was a nightmare. I was driving with a friend in the suburbs of manhattan..

and i was subjected to radio in new york.

It's just terrible.

24/ 7 its beyonce and lady gaga and justin timberlake crapola.

No Indie. NOTHING cool. shit presenters.

The wifi wasn't working so we couldn't get my laptop and play radio 1 or xfm like we usually do.

z100 in new york is also unbelievely bad. I'd rather listen to capital 95.8~!

is 'hot 97' still on the air in new york, for the g's and homies? i actually went on their site a few years ago to listen, but they had no online stream.

i remember american joe calling up moyles on his afternoon show 8 years ago, saying the radio 1 online stream kept breaking up. early days.

on the grid.

Guest inxces4308

I totally disagree. I think the Z100 is ok. The station is one of the best within the US, its also the most copied radio station around the world.

Ok, so their playlist turns around the same songs every hour, but whos dosen't? They often add wildcard tracks in which are great and refreshing.

I totally disagree. I think the Z100 is ok. The station is one of the best within the US, its also the most copied radio station around the world.

Ok, so their playlist turns around the same songs every hour, but whos dosen't? They often add wildcard tracks in which are great and refreshing.

Hi! Wow you actually listen to z1oo in the UK? that is really interesting. I just find their playlist too repetitive. The presenters sound too hyper and literally sound like they lost their balls. Their idea of new music is the ting Tings that's not my name which was number 1 in the UK LAST SUMMER.

I guess I was never much of a fan of pop / top 40 radio. I was one of those kids that hated pop. I listened to oasis, kenickie, cornershop, hole, blur, sublime, reel big fish etc when I was a kid. I was given Christina and Britney CDS from a friend's mom at jive when I was about 11 and I broke them in half!

I like 6 music, radio 1, a lot of introducing new music type shows with tom robinson, jim gellatly, etc.. those are my radio tastes. Elvis duran makes me sick. lol

it's really really easy to get entry level paid work at commericial radio in New York as a uni student because radio that appeals to anyone under 25 is HORRID!

Guest inxces4308

Yeah, i do listen in the UK. I listen mainly for the production but its also a great place to hear some new music months before it hits the UK.

US artists get played 2 months earlier than release in the UK. But, as you say, when they play UK artists they play tracks that have been around in the UK for 2 months.

A colleague of mine actually interviewed Skeery for a uni project and he's the producer there. I never really gave it a proper listen, but what do you like about the production? Hmm what particular USA pop artists were played at z100 that were not added to Capital 95.8's playlists months later? I am just curious. Both have jingle bell concerts though! Take that is virtually known to the average z100 listener. there's something interesting.

I dunno, It would be nice to hear artists like MR shortie or La roux in America but I guess the USA isn't hip to the hop lol.

Ever since I got XM satellite the first year it came out, I stopped listening to terrestrial radio here in the States. Some of the bigger independent stations have their own XM/Sirius channels, but they are rare. I'd rather know that I can tune into a station when I'm in the mood for a particular type of music.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

Guest inxces4308
A colleague of mine actually interviewed Skeery for a uni project and he's the producer there.

Whos he? The guy who makes the jingles/imaging is called Dave Foxx (known as Prod God). He's been doing it for over 20 years. He is also the promo voiceover.

Capital radio? You've got to be joking. Its one of the worst stations in the UK and i dont listen to it for that reason. I have in the past and ended up wanting to jump off a building. I enjoy listening to stations in the US just to see what they are doing and talking about. Its a great source for inspiration at times.

I listen to Z100 (NY), KIIS FM (LA) and Howard Stern.

Hmm what particular USA pop artists were played at z100 that were not added to Capital 95.8's playlists months later?
I'm not saying that they arn't added to playlists. Im saying that they are released two months later in the UK than they are in the US.
Take that is virtually known to the average z100 listener.
I've never heard Z100 play Take That, and Take That dont have a publisher in the US and therefore can't release material there. Unless it gets leaked/sent.

WAQX-FM looks decent enough. Dedicated rock with Loveline on a night (and who doesn't love Loveline?).

But really, this is why people should buy Sirius XM - can listen to Stern, Opie & Anthony, Ron & Fez, Bubba, etc. Otherwise, you're stuck with Mancow, Imus and Fatty Limbaugh.

I used to listen to loveline on KROQ, That's the best way to listen to it. I think this is where the basis of the sunday surgery came from (that is my conjecture).

I miss it when Adam Carolla used to host loveline. However, thanks to stupid AMP radio adam is no longer doing radio. I have no idea how AMP is going to compete with KIIS 102.7.

do you subscribe to satellite sirius from the UK? Wow. I am not a fan of US radio and I was never allowed to listen to howard stern growing up. You seem like someone who would've enjoyed wnew and K-rock in new york when it had howard

For the name alone?

that's hilarious! wonder if ofcom would ever approve wank FM in the UK. I don't get the use of a 4 letter radio station ID starting with a W or K. It's purely a north american thing with canadaian stations starting with a C and Mexican starting with a X

Whos he? The guy who makes the jingles/imaging is called Dave Foxx (known as Prod God). He's been doing it for over 20 years. He is also the promo voiceover.

Capital radio? You've got to be joking. Its one of the worst stations in the UK and i dont listen to it for that reason. I have in the past and ended up wanting to jump off a building. I enjoy listening to stations in the US just to see what they are doing and talking about. Its a great source for inspiration at times.

I listen to Z100 (NY), KIIS FM (LA) and Howard Stern.

I'm not saying that they arn't added to playlists. Im saying that they are released two months later in the UK than they are in the US.

I've never heard Z100 play Take That, and Take That dont have a publisher in the US and therefore can't release material there. Unless it gets leaked/sent.

Hey Inxces,

I think its cool, you like US radio, I like UK radio. It's always interesting to see what raido is like in other places, I guess.

you seem interesting to talk to about UK/US radio regardless of what your preferences are, feel free to PM me.

LJ

Oh and Skeery is the producer for the elvis duran show on z100.

Guest inxces4308

Ahh, Yeah that makes sense. I dont really like Elvis Duran, he seems to be abit all over the place. He also has an annoying female sidekick that has a very 'winy' voice.

do you subscribe to satellite sirius from the UK? Wow. I am not a fan of US radio and I was never allowed to listen to howard stern growing up. You seem like someone who would've enjoyed wnew and K-rock in new york when it had howard

Erm....No....we can't subcribe to them in the UK. Shall i say there are 'certain' websites that upload Howards shows each. :*

We don't have Sirius here - we 'obtain', so to speak. Sometimes you can use a good friend named T. Orrent, or just USE the NET, so to speak. If you can decypher the codes, you'll understand what some people (BUT NOT ME BECAUSE I DEPLORE ALL ACTIVITY THAT GOES AGAINST MAKING MONEY FOR BIG CORPORATIONS) do in order to get the shows.

I don't know much of K-Rock, other than when Howard did his Howard TV shows from there. I would have loved to have grown up in the WNBC Imus/Stern era though.

Guest inxces4308
We don't have Sirius here - we 'obtain', so to speak. Sometimes you can use a good friend named T. Orrent, or just USE the NET, so to speak. If you can decypher the codes, you'll understand what some people (BUT NOT ME BECAUSE I DEPLORE ALL ACTIVITY THAT GOES AGAINST MAKING MONEY FOR BIG CORPORATIONS) do in order to get the shows.

I don't know much of K-Rock, other than when Howard did his Howard TV shows from there. I would have loved to have grown up in the WNBC Imus/Stern era though.

*cough*

There is also certain people on certain websites that upload howard shows :)

*cough*

Guest inxces4308

Even though I hear that USing thE NEW is still good because of how much stuff they have from archives etc. So I'm told, anyway.

You got it wrong :P

if anyone here actually listens to american radio, please PM me about it. I'd love to hear what you like. And even if I don't like it, I am just curious. I had no idea the english even enjoyed american radio! Besides, its not all bad. NPR programmes are of great quality.