Unofficial Mills

Is honesty the best policy?

Lucinda

So a few days ago I ordered a t-shirt I'd wanted for quite a while from a band's online store because it was finally in stock. It cost me £20 for the t-shirt plus £2 postage. I ordered it at 1:30am on Thursday. On Friday, a package arrived here in the post from the band's online shop (I wasn't here though, my housemate received it).

On Saturday, another identical parcel arrived from the band's online shop.

I got back yesterday and opened both, to find 2 of the same t-shirt, with the same dispatch note in each, checked my bank account and email and I'd only been charged once.

So, the dilemma: Should I own up and probably have to post one back or just keep quiet and hope no one noticed?

I chose to be honest and email them to tell them about it and they replied, thanking me for my honesty and asked me to send one back and said they'd pay for the postage cost.

What would you have done in this situation? Told them or accepted 2 t-shirts for the price of one?

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I'd have done exactly the same as you, Lucinda. I think I'd have put myself in the company's shoes and would like to have thought that customers are honest.

I always like it at work when you accidently give people too much change, and then they come back and own up to say I gave them too much. Not many people do this though, but it's nice to know that there's some honest people out there!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I'd send it back too to be honest. And that's because I'd actually feel really bad for it. In this economy, anything you get for free might be a great deal for you, but then I realize that when they go through inventory that night and find that something's missing, there's at least one person that'll end up being fired. If I happen to forget to pay for something at the store and find it while putting it into the car or whatever, my immediate action would be to go to the store, show them my receipt, and pay for it. I don't care if it's a dollar or ten.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people aren't like that though. Imagine getting two laptops, two iPods, or whatever in the mail when you've only bought one. It's the same thing when stores get overstocked and they end up giving the supplies away to their staff for some inventory problem. Everyone's going to go off and run to eBay to make a couple of bucks.

Anyway, it's good that you were honest, we need more people like that in the world.

Also, they would have to pay for the return and it's not always possible to nip to the post office.

I thought about this. They said "we'll pay the postage costs of course" and there's 2 post offices within a 5 minute walk here (I have no idea how they manage to keep going).

I have to admit if it's a large chain I don't always bother getting them to correct small errors. But this band actually run their own merch store (although it's not a small band by any means, they have plenty of money I'm sure). I will be returning it to them either today or tomorrow.

I thought about this. They said "we'll pay the postage costs of course" and there's 2 post offices within a 5 minute walk here (I have no idea how they manage to keep going).

I have to admit if it's a large chain I don't always bother getting them to correct small errors. But this band actually run their own merch store (although it's not a small band by any means, they have plenty of money I'm sure). I will be returning it to them either today or tomorrow.

Clearly too thoughtful! If I was running my own band store I'd probably honour your honesty and let you keep it.

Well, after quite an annoying queue in the post office, I sent the t-shirt back in a 2nd hand jiffy bag I found on the living room floor (we love tidying) and it cost me £1.24 second class. So they should refund me that amount.

As for which band it is, they're big but have supposedly ethical credentials and I've spent a lot of money on their CDs and gig tickets over the years.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• At least I do not ask stupid questions…😂
    • I suggest you follow the other DJs too if so, you will learn the hardest working will go further 🤣
    • A simple check on his instagram would answer all your questions , he’s on tour with his wife and the team behind his podcast. I suggest anyone to follow the radio presenters, you will learn a lot about their other jobs and work commitments. 
    • Where is Jamie? It felt like he was settling in when Vick wasn’t on but he’s not been on since last Tuesday now. They’ve not even mentioned him, in fact they’ve mentioned Jordan more than they’ve mentioned him in the last two days.
    • Scott's show is on the road next week, live from Malmö in Sweden on Wednesday and Friday, ahead of Eurovision. As he's doing the semi final coverage on the TV on Tuesday and Thursday alongside Rylan, Gary Davies sits in for him on those days.
    • I don't feel there's so much overlap between M&M and Scott's shows. M&M is of a similar calibre to Scott & Chris on R1, with genuine laugh out loud moments and usually a show packed full of real interesting content. Scott's R2 show is IMO a shadow of the stuff he did on R1 (not his fault, he's doing exactly what station management want), with music and content to appeal to a much older audience.
    • To be fair, Scott & Chris would've still been fine on Radio 1. It was mentioned at the time that Scott's move was very much on Radio 2's part rather than Radio 1 wanting to move them on. That's the one problem that Radio 2 has, trying to appeal to such a wide demographic.. it's the perfect listen for many, but equally a turn off for many others. I think they have the balance fairly right.     
    • I agree Scott has always been a good standalone presenter, but always better when with someone. When chappers left the radio one show it felt a different show and Chris joining was what it needed and brought new life. for the format of the radio 2 show Scott’s show fits well with the station but again, there’s the huge gap between radio1 and 2 As been said already old radio2 listeners feel it now feels too young with latest changes, yet old radio1 listeners still feel radio 2 feels too old. The inbetween stage demographic of too old for radio 1 but too young for radio 2 is still not catered for radio 2 was left to grow old with its audience for too long and to change things up now feels to try and change a brand image the right thing to do is leave it as it is and cater for that 1.5 demographic which I’m sure the new proposed 00s and 10s station will do if approved. Problem is it’s so overdue that by the time it gets off the ground these listeners are already likely to be lost and the changing image of radio2 likely to lose what it stands for as a brand with the “it’s too young now “  moving to boom and the “ it still sounds old “ crowd not able to move with their favourite presenters like Scott so finding themself on capital a radio 1.5 would have been perfect for Scott and Chris, seems unlikely but this is why I think who branding of bbc radio needs a rethink if these new stations get off ground
    • Bank Holiday Monday Schedule 6am-10am: Arielle Free in for Greg 10am-2pm: Dean & Vicky (No Rickie, Melvin & Charlie) 2pm-6pm: Vick & Jamie (No Katie) 6pm onwards: As normal.
    • Dare I say they've sounded great this past week?  Very much gelling.  Maybe less pressure?  Seem to be having a genuinely good time and not forcing things.
    • I'm in the minority in my workplace, most of them love country music.  Me, the American, does not care for it.  That said, I haven't haaaaaated some of the country adjacent stuff that's been on the R1 playlist.  
    • The Eurovision semi finals are on from 8 to 10pm on Tuesday 7th and Thursday 9th May with Richie Anderson. That means Sara Cox in on till 8 on those days.  Saturday 11th May is Eurovision 'Super Saturday... 1-3pm Your Ultimate Abba song with Gary Davies  3-6pm Michelle Visage's Eurovision All Stars 6-8pm Eurovision Request Party with Owain Wynn Evans 8pm Eurovision Grand Final with Scott Mills and Rylan Clark  
    • It is funny because everyone thought Matt was on the way out, now he's been described as the heir to Mills.
    • Some similar names to Big Weekend.  Sabrina Carpenter, David Guetta, Perrie, Bradley Simpson, Jax Jones, Caity Baser, Benson Boone, Rudimental. David Guetta is a good name.