Unofficial Mills

Inconsistency on Radio 1's website

Jono

I think my only real problem with Radio 1's website is navigating archive content - it's very good for being up to date, but for say, The Chris Moyles Show, I can't just navigate videos they posted in 2008 (as some are EMP), and navigating guests has to be a gallery... and it'd be nice for at some point the show running orders to be integrated in to the /programmes/ system.

But yeah, archiving the stuff seems to just be the main issue... just a long 2008 archive page can be a bit tiresome, especially as not everything shows up in them.

Hopefully, as the internet becomes more important we'll see audio and video content that's permanent (when the rights people allow you), embedded in show pages, and findable more easily through the archive. Like, funny clips that might be from the podcast, or maybe stuff like Moyles Visual Week not disappearing with the exception of 1 video... one area where this could be useful is Mills' pages on the site, as there's a lot of linking to random things online, but being able to also just go through show related things (videos, features, etc) would be nice.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't actually sit in front of R1's website, and go looking for all the things that don't match. Or are "wrong", or whatever. Perfection is so 2007.

When I visit, I'm on the hunt for links which can go with threads which I can usually find.

Or I wish to read Blogs and participate in blogs.

The site kind of reminds me of a cyber jungle (in a nice way).

I don't really know enough about archiving, etc. to comment.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I'd just like to see the DJ pages updated a bit more often. Aled being on the Surgery is just one example. I remember for ages when Edith was off Fearne's interview with Will Ferrel being there for ages, rarely changing. Moyles is kept reasonably well updated but the others, especially the weekend crew need changing more often. I'd like to be kept more up to date with features etc, although in the last month it has been better I must say.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I assumed The Surgery on Switch was one of the most important parts of Radio 1's changing image but the page looks a bit dated. For example, Kelly's body doesn't go down to the bottom like with other pages and I keep thinking the coding has messed up because I expect stuff like 'BBC Switch' to be in a proper box. It just looks a little strange.

I guess to the average listener though they don't visit these pages on a weekly basis, but it will be good to see it being moved over to Switch soon.

Yo yo, thanks for all your comments again. You'll see some changes with the on-air bar in the New Year, which hopefully do away with most of these glitches. I've reported the problem with the non-black bg on evening shows now we're using the xmas background, hopefully that will get fixed soon. I've also reported the problems on The Surgery's RHN (that's Right Hand Nav, fact fans) and they will be fixed soon as poss. Jono is right - they are missing a stylesheet, and we don't know where it's gone! Hope you're enjoying Scott on breakfast! Brap brap, Merry Christmas all.

Christ, reading through page after page, I sincerely hope I never become this obsessed by perfection on websites.

Be grateful for what you can get! My generation grew up with no Sites, no mobiles, and had to write to radio stations (which I never did).

*feels blessed, feels lucky*

(ps: I'm not meaning to be patronising, or anything). :-)

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Surely everyone is showing they are grateful by caring enough to want it to be just right?

Yes indeed. We just do it because we care Viv.

I agree about the galleries that JonathanEx said earlier. All of them should come with a thumbnails option these days as it's a bit of a chore to trawl through 40 pages - for example with this page -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/christmas/gallery_inmwt/

The homepage has been wrong most the day. At the minute it says Westwood - Vernon Sits In for Sara 8-12 zane lowe and the nations pete tong inwt next. Earlier today the homepage was the xmas page. No doubt the tech staff are not in today or a least not many.

james_ryder.png