Unofficial Mills

Student account

Guest CancerForTheCure

Guest CancerForTheCure

I have decided to set up a student account after my exams, which means I have to start looking around now. Has anyone done that yet? Any advice as to which bank would be the best choice?

just don't end up having to pay for a account, most will try to get you to have a account which you pay so much a month for & they will give you free stuff like mobile insurance etc, it's a WASTE of money.

also have a currant account & a savings account linked to it so you can just keep walkabout cash in the currant account & put the rest in a savings account which will pay higher interest, it will not be much interest though, one that pays good interest is a ING account (i have one) which you can link to any bank & start it off with £1 & it will pay 6% or you could start up a direct debt to it & just put in a little every month & it will soon build up.

:)

Get one with online banking, that's a must. An online savings account is useful too. Make sure you get a decent overdraft as well. I'm with Lloyds TSB just because I've been with them since I was 12 and it was easier. They gave me an iPod Shuffle but I didn't want it so I gave it away. A Young Persons railcard is useful but you can just buy one. Have a look at what banks there are in the uni you're going to, there's a couple in the Students Union at Nottingham, erm HSBC and NatWest I think. You don't want one that doesn't have many branches because it's annoying when you want to go there.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Guest CancerForTheCure

Yeah at the moment I'm with Lloyds but I don't like them very much to be honest... Thanks for help, that's narrowed down my choices a bit...

I chose to open a student account last week at Barclays. I've kept the current account open too so I can shift money over and save money. It comes with online banking, a cheque book, a decent credit card, a £200 over draft, a debit card and about a billion free pens when you sign up. I only wanted to open one to save money, so anything else was added extras.

Hey,

I wouldn't rush into student account just yet. Banks will be restructuring their accounts come the new term, however changes to the 08/09 accounts will be very similar.

Don't go with Lloyds TSB. Certainly look at HSBC and Natwest, and as Jono says, try Barclays as well. HSBC are very good with their student accounts. ;)

You're best reading some reviews, they're are plenty of banks to choose from. Good website is:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products1896.html

No doubt you've seen / heard of a website called MoneySupermarket.com ?

Compare some 300 banks and their products.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/currentaccounts/ - make sure you click Student & Young Person Accounts

507033771.183.1247039672.png