Unofficial Mills

Vicki Blight - Where is she now ?

Chops

Anyone can do chart busters, and by the way, they did away with it. No one can do Free For All Friday though, I mean, you have to be someone that can put up with having to hang up on people and carrying on a conversation.

i disagree, i think you are looking at this with a bit too much bias.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree, i think you are looking at this with a bit too much bias.

Do you listen at 4 AM? I know I might be, but I think Greg suits it well. I especially like that he's taken Early Breakfast from "Oh, let's just chat about our life and how wonderful we are." That's basically how the Early Breakfast slot has been for the past few years. JK & Joel would go on and on about their relationships, parties, etc. Greg on the other hand, he's all about sitting in front of the TV on Saturdays and eating cheese. He's not trying to be all lavish like JK & Joel, Fearne and Reggie are. He's just normal, seems real.

Do you listen at 4 AM? I know I might be, but I think Greg suits it well. I especially like that he's taken Early Breakfast from "Oh, let's just chat about our life and how wonderful we are." That's basically how the Early Breakfast slot has been for the past few years. JK & Joel would go on and on about their relationships, parties, etc. Greg on the other hand, he's all about sitting in front of the TV on Saturdays and eating cheese. He's not trying to be all lavish like JK & Joel, Fearne and Reggie are. He's just normal, seems real.

that's only because he's been plucked from student radio. of course he'll sound normal, he won't be getting invited to these parties yet. jk and joel were normal lads too. greg suits his feature well because he made it! if he wasn't there someone else would do something else :confused:

that's only because he's been plucked from student radio. of course he'll sound normal, he won't be getting invited to these parties yet. jk and joel were normal lads too. greg suits his feature well because he made it! if he wasn't there someone else would do something else :confused:

Exactly, but like I said, no one should be doing Free For All Friday except him, if he gets moved to a weekday slot, he should be able to stick to his features too. That's one of the reasons why I like Sara when she's covering for Scott, she doesn't use his features. When Greg was covering for Annie, you could tell that he wasn't particularly wanting to do her stuff.

Greg's currently involved in that Body Gossip thing and has gone to parties where celebrities have been present, but he's just normal about it. Some DJs make it seem like it was a huge thing and everyone was there.

Greg's currently involved in that Body Gossip thing and has gone to parties where celebrities have been present, but he's just normal about it. Some DJs make it seem like it was a huge thing and everyone was there.

well that's your opinion but i think you have a lot of bias swaying towards him ;) if he's involved with that where perez hilton is too i don't think it makes him any better than any other dj!

well that's your opinion but i think you have a lot of bias swaying towards him ;) if he's involved with that where perez hilton is too i don't think it makes him any better than any other dj!

I'm not saying he's better than any other DJ, I'm just saying that he has made Early Breakfast what it is now, completely throwing away everything that was left behind from previous presenters.

I'm afraid I must agree with Jessica. One of the things I hate about moyles is that he talks about what HE has been doing, but its things that no one can relate to ie. His Brit award presentation - how many people do that. Greg on the other hand talks about things you can relate to. Not big or flashy things that make you think "wow", just things where you know what he's on about because chances are you have had a similar experience.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

I'm afraid I must agree. One of the things I hate about moyles is that he talks about what HE has been doing, but its things that no one can relate to ie. His Brit award presentation - how many people do that. Greg on the other hand talks about things you can relate to. Not big or flashy things that make you think "wow", just things where you know what he's on about because chances are you have had a similar experience.

Yeah, exactly, that's well put Chops!

He's made Newsbeat a lot popular too, with the little songs and music he does before he chats to them. Tom Bateman, for example, everyone randomly sings his tune now.

yeah I think she will do well on any daytime show. I really enjoyed her Friday show because it was a laid back start to Friday morning. So long as she doesn't loose her links with normallity (like moyles talking about how lucky he is to present a Brit award) I think she will do well

Greg and Vicki Blight have all the qualities that make early breakfast presenters. My worry is that Greg is moved too quickly. It took Moyles and Mills many years to develop from just an early breakfast presenter to the qualities that make daytime DJs. I think it would only natural for him to get a weekend show first. He is young, new and still learning, and I think he would peek too soon sitting in for Edith.

I think Greg should have ideally taken Sara Cox's show and Vicki could have taken early breakfast. Annie could then have sat in for Edith. He could have got a real cult following from his weekend show...

We all seem to be living in a world of fantasy on here though. We have to take the schedule how it is until Edith's cover is announced.

Greg and Vicki Blight have all the qualities that make early breakfast presenters. My worry is that Greg is moved too quickly. It took Moyles and Mills many years to develop from just an early breakfast presenter to the qualities that make daytime DJs.

Well, yeah, but he really does deserve it. He's had loads of experience, sadly none of it really getting out there. At the end of his student radio gig, he was ultimately the station manager, so I guess he's been through all the works already.

He's made Newsbeat a lot popular too, with the little songs and music he does before he chats to them. Tom Bateman, for example, everyone randomly sings his tune now.

When you say "everyone" who do you mean? The average Radio 1 listener, or just the listeners of Greg's show?

I think you've highlighted a few things that don't make him stand out from JK and Joel, as they've done things very similar. Not that I'm disagreeing he's not talented, I just think to the regular Radio 1 listener it's not going to highlight his true potential.

Well, yeah, but he really does deserve it. He's had loads of experience, sadly none of it really getting out there. At the end of his student radio gig, he was ultimately the station manager, so I guess he's been through all the works already.

Let's not forget Moyles and Mills were on their shows for four or five years. They all had years of talent on local radio too. It just takes time. Greg has done well to get to Radio 1 straight from the UEA with little experience elsewhere, but he needs to go through protocol. That said Radio 1 are all over the place these days... they stick TV presenters on the chart with little experience.

When you say "everyone" who do you mean? The average Radio 1 listener, or just the listeners of Greg's show?

I think you've highlighted a few things that don't make him stand out from JK and Joel, as they've done things very similar. Not that I'm disagreeing he's not talented, I just think if you're going to say he's better than him you need to come up with other ideas!

I'm referring to Greg's show.

JK & Joel never really had any features, they had that My Tunes and Truckin' Diesel, but after the competition mishap that went away (the latter, they just got bored and did away with it) changing into The Retro. The first few chart shows with Fearne and Reggie had The Retro, but then that completely disappeared silently in the third show. Other than that, they seemed to be talking to one another and playing music.

When Fearne and Reggie were doing Fridays, they had What's In Andy's Box where you basically had to call in if you wanted whatever was in there, and then they'd have a track they'd play to wake you up a little bit and there'd be a door creaking. Still, they'd be talking to themselves.

Of course, Greg has Producer Neil, but Neil, for the most part, just listens and laughs at Greg talking to the listeners. Although, nowadays he's sticking post-it notes on Greg and putting his face up to the webcam, doing a bit more talking in the background.

JK & Joel never really had any features, they had that My Tunes and Truckin' Diesel, but after the competition mishap that went away (the latter, they just got bored and did away with it) changing into The Retro. The first few chart shows with Fearne and Reggie had The Retro, but then that completely disappeared silently in the third show. Other than that, they seemed to be talking to one another and playing music.

Fearne and Reggie shared the features. The box thing was one of JK and Joel's.

I think it boils down to personal taste. I just think JK and Joel and Greg's early breakfasts are different styles but on par together.

But you say "talking to one another" as if it's a bad thing. Scott has a lot of features, but I'd sooner hear him talking to Chopper than worrying about features too much.

Anyway, it sounds as if I'm taking away from Greg's show, which isn't the intention. I just don't think after six months you can quite say his show excels JK and Joel's.

Fearne and Reggie shared the features. The box thing was one of JK and Joel's.

I think it boils down to personal taste. I just think JK and Joel and Greg's early breakfasts are different styles but on par together.

But you say "talking to one another" as if it's a bad thing. Scott has a lot of features, but I'd sooner hear him talking to Chopper than worrying about features too much.

Anyway, it sounds as if I'm taking away from Greg's show, which isn't the intention. I just don't think after six months you can quite say his show excels JK and Joel's.

No, no, I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

When Scott and Chopper speak, it's to add to the show, unlike JK & Joel who talk to make the show go faster. It's like listening to two people next to you.

"Your neighbor is moving, he wants to know if you want his cat."

"No, his cat is depressed, no way am I taking that."

There isn't much you can add to that, we don't know who these people are, like Chops said, we can't relate.

I'm not so sure jk and Joels show had the same interaction with the listener. They were still a bit out of touch with reality in the way they were on about things the listener would never do.

• 2 years later...

I thought a thread resurection was appropriate here because twice in two days I've heard from the lady I thought had been cast in to radio wilderness. Well she is back sort of, doing cover shows for 6 Music and she is now a regular fill in on Absolute Radio, I heard her on last night when I got back from work at about mid night. She also now does TV continuity work for Five and Virgin 1. Thought some people may like to know where she went after disappearing from Radio 1!

ChrisHewgill.jpg