Unofficial Mills

Jamie Lang

Jono

He talks about how he wants to prove the doubters wrong about being too posh for Radio 1. 

"It’s a misconception that I just swanned in here. I’ve been trying to get this job for eight years, constantly grinding, constantly asking to do little slots. No one is given a job here because their mum or dad helped them into it. You have to earn your colours."

Times link here: https://archive.is/2024.03.03-002813/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jamie-laing-interview-bbc-radio-1-made-in-chelsea-rq9dj8k3d

That's an interesting read. I'm not sure how he says you need to have an audience already and you maybe can't work your way up the traditional way. That seems to be what Aled has championed all along and has done very well with.

Yet to be convinced about him and if he'll win over the "normal" listeners who don't have a load of money. In the 12 min podcast they did, already the shrugging off of turning up to his driving theory test over 30 times because "life got in the way" could be seen as miles away from someone who saves money up to get their licence.

If it's unrelatable, unwarming, it's likely the off button

Katie on her show yesterday: “Jamie’s just hilarious, brilliant, doesn’t really know what’s going on, Vick is one of my best friends in the world and just an incredible broadcaster and I’ll be there to balance them out maybe, to be somewhere in the middle of those two things”. 

She obviously didn’t mean it in a bad way but quite funny her contrasting the “incredible broadcaster” Vick with “doesn’t really know what’s going on” Jamie. 

If Jamie’s been trying hard to get on Radio 1 for 8 years it doesn’t massively show, it sounds like he doesn’t know anything much about radio at all. 

2 hours ago, ianwilk1999 said:

Yet to be convinced about him and if he'll win over the "normal" listeners who don't have a load of money. In the 12 min podcast they did, already the shrugging off of turning up to his driving theory test over 30 times because "life got in the way" could be seen as miles away from someone who saves money up to get their licence.

That came across to me too.  How many listeners could afford just not to turn up 30 times to something they'd paid for.

The issue isn't really about Jamie's background to me but more about understanding his craft.  Radio is a skill - the greats like Terry Wogan, Chris Evans, Chris Moyles, Steve Wright, Ken Bruce, Greg James and let's even add Jordan North have all shown it's about connecting with people.  That takes experience and also I'd argue stuff you can never just learn but have an innate understanding of the industry.  Jamie seems to think you open the mic and that's it.

I am curious how this sounds, Vick and Katie have been doing shows for a long time, including many weeks in that slot when Katie has been in for Jordan.  It may not be so bad as it could have been without Katie there but still...I think it could also sound "too busy"   Another thing to consider is Vick - gradually her world is so far from listeners that could be an issue too.

I can only judge Jamie from his maternity cover for Mollie King and then the 'Going Home' podcast and yep jury is out massively on him to put it kindly.

When he was covering for Mollie the whole show felt very Jamie centered and he really didn't seem to have learnt the basics at all. Some errors can be excused - missed Newsbeat intros happen to even the best - but if there was an error to be made he'd normally make it. For example you'd have him talking & singing over jingles and even towards the end of his cover for Mollie he was still struggling to get the Whatsapp number correct.

And there were warning bells in that podcast - not everybody on Radio 1 has to be a radio nerd but knowing Drive is one of the biggest radio slots and hell knowing when your show starts should really be the absolute bare minimum.

I think for the revamped Going Home to be a success it really has to be him being a sidekick to Vick & Katie. Both are very good broadcasters and a trusted pairing whereas if Jamie takes centre stage it could quickly be a turn-off for people.

I quite liked him in with Matt, he had a way of bringing him down a level. I'm not sure how effective that'll be on afternoons. We shall see. 

I only heard bit of jamie and Matt but it felt like he didn't care, that was the impression I got everytime I heard him. Katie feels like she will be the one that will keep Vick and Jamie in order. It was a good move to put her in and her friendship with vick will no doubt help that group a lot.

I think Matt has done various co-hosts for few set of weeks and a week and more permanently with Mollie King of course but Rylan, Example, Scarlette Moffat and Jamie Laing possibly one off with Alice Levine. Chris Stark so he is very experienced working with other presenters and how to maker it work. Working in television sure he might’ve co-hosted with Rylan yes possibly another presenter but requires to interact with multiple personalities and can lend bit of handy experience. It helps that with Matt Edmonson’s experience at that point he had been on the station for some time and is one of the stations most capable and talented presenters seems to have a lot ideas, knows how to keep things professional on its feet deal with any challenges and mishaps and is ready to get involved and work out the tone for the moment. He has been good when he has had to deal with more sensitive and difficult moments like Annie Nightingale’s passing. I feel he was the right presenter to take mollie under his wing and has helped in the success of her broadcasting career.

3 minutes ago, Jono said:

I quite liked him in with Matt, he had a way of bringing him down a level. I'm not sure how effective that'll be on afternoons. We shall see. 

I don’t think all this is helping their case. The trailer for their show spends 15 seconds on Jamie joking about Vick’s northern accent, whilst the podcast discusses how he’s regularly missed his (£75) driving test through forgetfulness.

The article, where he claims to have been wanting a slot for 8 years, again seems a bit suspect given that he didn’t really know much about radio or the slot based on the podcast and his previous run with Matt.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:59 AM, Jono said:

He talks about how he wants to prove the doubters wrong about being too posh for Radio 1. 

"It’s a misconception that I just swanned in here. I’ve been trying to get this job for eight years, constantly grinding, constantly asking to do little slots. No one is given a job here because their mum or dad helped them into it. You have to earn your colours."

Times link here: https://archive.is/2024.03.03-002813/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jamie-laing-interview-bbc-radio-1-made-in-chelsea-rq9dj8k3d

It's not a good look. R1 really wide of the mark with this appointment. Vick and Katie have excellent chemistry so don't need Jamie. Maybe they didn't think Katie would move to London or Vick wouldn't go Manchester permanent.  Strange decision. Will be interesting hearing the listeners figures in 3 months

13 hours ago, wbroom12 said:

It's not a good look. R1 really wide of the mark with this appointment. Vick and Katie have excellent chemistry so don't need Jamie. Maybe they didn't think Katie would move to London or Vick wouldn't go Manchester permanent.  Strange decision. Will be interesting hearing the listeners figures in 3 months

Strangely though - listeners seem to take a lot to switch off.  Despite very little positivity, I don't think Dean and Vicky killed the figures as bad as we might have expected.

17 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I don't think Dean and Vicky killed the figures as bad as we might have expected.

No I think they stabled the ship after Mills left.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:33 AM, AndyK77 said:

Strangely though - listeners seem to take a lot to switch off.  Despite very little positivity, I don't think Dean and Vicky killed the figures as bad as we might have expected.

This is true. I'm a truck driver and most trucks can only hold r1 and r2 stations steady. Capital and heart gets a lot of static. Could be a big reason why.

Depending on the vehicles age and quality of media centre installed

I listen to Scott generally