Unofficial Mills

Katie Thistleton to join Going Home

Jono

At Home episode has dropped in the last hour. 

Katie confirms she was asked to join the show while on her holiday the week before last (so after Jamie was announced). 

Jamie also didn’t know the show was the second biggest on the station, what time it started or the concept of RAJAR….

7 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Katie confirms she was asked to join the show while on her holiday the week before last (so after Jamie was announced). 

Jamie also didn’t know the show was the second biggest on the station, what time it started or the concept of RAJAR….

Do you have a link? 

The podcast further builds on the thought that Katie was not part of original line up for schedule change. It is very clunky PR initially announcing a two person show and then a week later changing to a 3 presenter show, which makes me believe they hopefully reacted to the audience feedback and gave Katie this role, deservedly. If this was always part of the plan they would not have announced Vick’s co hosts until later. 

I’m hoping Jamie will be good and wish him the best of luck, but it pains me that they have to bring in non-radio talent when there must be so many people out there who want a break in mainstream radio. History demonstrates presenters like Jordan, Scott, Greg etc who started out on student radio certainly have more longevity at the station than these who don’t, e.g. Maya Jama and Jameela Jamil. 

13 hours ago, Mercede5 said:

I don’t know how to link podcasts but it’s on BBC sounds 

IMG_4554.png

Thanks, it didn't really register that it was the Radio 1 podcast. I even Googled it, haha.

There's a bit of an assumption from the start that 'we're doing the show now' but I'm sure there's plenty who don't realise Jordan has gone!

I agree Vick and Katie naturally have that chemistry they appear to dominate and Jamie just sounds like he's accidentally wandered into the studio. That said I think it's listenable.

23 hours ago, Ash101 said:

Yep one think that seemed pretty clear from it is that Katie's addition was quite last minute if it was while she was on holiday and was news to her. Clearly Radio 1 took note of the backlash. Especially as if it was always the plan for Katie to join surely they'd have announced it at the time Jordan left?

And some of what Jamie says in the podcast makes you realise how wise a decision that and the other changes were. Imagine if Matt & Mollie were still kept on weekends and then you have Jamie drafted in not knowing Drive is the 2nd biggest show of the day or when your show starts. Not every radio DJ has to be a 'radio nerd' but come on.

I found him more tolerable though then I did with Matt - having two co-presenters means Jamie doesn't dominate as much plus Vick & Katie unsurprisingly have great chemistry given their years on Life Hacks and Katie covering Jordan on Going Home.

Chuffed for Katie - she's put in the hard years and you can tell the listeners love her.

11 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Yep one think that seemed pretty clear from it is that Katie's addition was quite last minute if it was while she was on holiday and was news to her. Clearly Radio 1 took note of the backlash. Especially as if it was always the plan for Katie to join surely they'd have announced it at the time Jordan left?

It really give the impression of panic after Jordan’s news, suddenly realising the weekday afternoon line-up is pretty weak and needing to sort it asap. But big fan of Katie and Matt and Mollie so it’s good news. 

One other thought - I wondered a while back if a stumbling block for Jordan getting breakfast might be a lack of co-presenter (Vick not wanting it, Katie in Manchester) and that’s why he was presenting Breakfast with Mollie a few months back, to try the paring out (when Katie was available and presenting Going Home). But Katie is clearly more than prepared to move to London and it would not of been an issue at all. Makes me wonder why Jordan did present with Mollie that week - did they think Jordan and Katie together was too northern or something?! 

34 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

Interesting that Katie also referred to the fact that she knew ‘changes were coming,’ which I presume is in reference to Dean and Vicky splitting up.

I do wonder whether the initial plan was for Dean and Vicky to still split but Katie take afternoons and then there wouldn’t have been any changes to Matt and Mollie’s show (which also might explain why they haven’t been able to announce a weekend afternoon presenter yet) 

Seems like they planned to leave Katie in her weekend slot with Nat and Vicky taking weekend afternoons. Obviously they've changed their mind and now have a huge gap in the 1-4 weekend slot. Bit of a mess with how it's all been announced but really glad Katie and Matt and Mollie will be on weekdays.

I reckon both Matt and Molie and Katie have previously been offered jobs for the weekdays and rejected them for whatever reason. Looks like they've finally accepted this time. 

Still think Aled makes some weird decisions with Jamie Lang and the Danny Beard choice for cover.