Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 on Fridays & weekends

coffeeandgin

There was a bit of a discussion on the chat about this a few days back so thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Have to say come next week I'd say actually I prefer the 'weekend' (Friday-Sunday) line-up to weekdays. Katie and Matt & Mollie are more than weekday worthy and both shows are very listenable and add in Breakfast where you either have the main man in Greg James on Fridays or future stars Sam & Danni on Saturdays and Sundays and you know you'll have good quality shows throughout.

The Friday line-up in general is pretty ideal from my side - Greg followed by Katie (with both having an Anthems half-hour each) then Matt & Mollie, Party Anthems, Jack Saunders and then Danny Howard and the rest of the dance team. All great stuff from my side with most of Radio 1's best.

The music played too seems to subtly change too from Monday-Thursday. Monday-Thursday Radio 1 are very wedded to the playlist and you can hear songs quite a lot and at the best of times I can find the Radio 1 playlist marmite.

Whereas it feels on Friday that even on the normal shows there's more bangers played and you'll also hear a few Radio 1 favourite tracks from the 'recent past' tossed in . Using last Friday as an example you had the likes of Foals's 'The Runner', HAIM's 'Want You Back' and Post Malone's 'Circles' all played in one show and on another MK's 17 and Doja Cat 'Say So'  - all still a great fit for Radio 1 and fairly recent but normally you'd be lucky to hear one or at most two of those during a show Monday to Thursday. Even Capital seem to be willing to throw in more 'recent past' tracks these days during Monday-Thursday then Radio 1 are.

Other than maybe heading off to Mistajam during the Chart there's little reason for me to switch from Radio 1 on Fridays.

Party Anthems is an absolute gem in the schedule too. No show is ever going to be 100% music I like but I normally find myself wondering why more tracks from it aren't on the Radio 1 playlist proper.

They do play more dance tunes on Fridays - Breakfast plays some blocks from Workout Anthems and one of them is On My Mind, 17 and More Than Friends. Dean and Vicky also play a Workout block on Tuesdays at 2pm.

Agree on Party Anthems. It has some new released dance music before those tracks go to the Radio 1 playlist, and its has different mixes every week, unlike the regular Anthems which is repetitive for years.

Matt and Mollie’s show has greater diversity too - they have some tracks from Future Pop and I do hope they play more.

But I reckon those “recent past” tunes are still often heard on Mon to Thur shows.

I agree with weekends being stronger than weekdays lately, for sure.  I don't have hugely strong opinions music-wise, in fact the dancey-ness of the weekends (starting with Friday) is what tends to put me off more than anything. Followed by any throw backs to the kind of Kaiser Chiefs era. But I can make my peace with that if the presenter is a good listen.

It's the presenters I find that are the strongest on the weekends at the moment. I'm not up early enough for early breakfast these days, so I can't comment there - but Greg on breakfast, followed by Katie, followed by Matt & Mollie on a Friday is seamlessly great listening. It's let down by the chart in my opinon, because Jack is just too intense and serious for my liking. I understand the job he's trying to do, but everyone's 'locked in' and his chart voice is almost a parody of presenters gone by (when the chart was the most exciting and meaningful event of the week)...

Saturday I am really growing to love Sam and Danni - although same as past conversations, I wish their show had more structure, and/or features. Katie again, brilliant listen. Followed by Matt & Mollie. Great day of listening.

It falls down a bit on Sundays for me because although I don't listen all day every day, I'm more of a morning to afternoon listener, and I don't enjoy Nat's show at all, no matter how many times I have tried.

Compared to weekdays, the weekend presenter line-up is so much better. RMC, Dean and Vicky, Vick and Jamie, are just not at the level to be carrying this station at the moment. So it will be very interesting to see what changes are on the way given the new rumours that Matt & Mollie are headed for weekdays

18 hours ago, Rob86 said:

Big shout out to you for saying this 20 hours ago - looks like the bosses agree

Seems like they really agreed given Katie's move to Going Home!

Didn't realise the power I hold. I'll just need to have a word with them on the playlist choices now.

Well part of this thread is rendered irrelevant then given the moves announced these past 24 hours. 😂

I can't see Nat & Vicky necessarily matching the quality of Katie's show but the Anthems/00s/10s show if it's being extended across the weekend should at least hide any weaknesses to an extent.

I guess it depends on who is in the weekend afternoon slot. If as we as suspect it's James Cusack then it's still a fairly strong line-up.

And at least the reason is weekdays being strengthened. You can understand to an extent weekends being used as more of a training ground.

Danny Beard doing the interim period between Katie's final weekend show and Nat & Vicky starting is certainly a choice - but I guess it's only for a limited period so if Danny is great it's another new DJ to add to the pile and if they're poor then at least it's only for a brief period.

54 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

I guess it depends on who is in the weekend afternoon slot. If as we as suspect it's James Cusack then it's still a fairly strong line-up.

Greg, Nat and Vicky, James Cusack then Jack Saunders and Danny Howard is a strong Friday line up