Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

It would be logical if it were really the Capital breakfast. I mean it's still a prestigious show, and they get quite a lot of freedom. In addition, Jordan has no guarantee if he would get the R1 breakfast show in the future, and the money is probably better at Global.

And yes, I see Jamie and Vick as a temporary decision. It might work, but I wouldn't be surprised if after a year we see changes at drivetime. I think now it depends on whether Vick wants to stay at R1 for much longer.

11 minutes ago, Jbb said:

This is a huge blow to Radio 1. My guess is Global made Jordan an offer he simply couldn’t refuse and they didn’t give him a huge amount of time to decide. Jordan leaving in any case would be bad, but if going to Capital even bigger. I might be wrong but I think Radio 1 are going to have a huge challenge drawing new, younger listeners in coming years - simply due to teenagers attitudes to the radio format and what else is available.

Definately, part of me thinks that they should look to do what they are maybe wrongly pursing with the amount of ‘Radio 1 Anthems’ content that is being commissioned, is that right now it’s going down the populist path trying to recreate something that is akin to the commercial sector Radio 2 are doing that with their extra station that could be cast in doubt not just because of Boom Radio’s objections.

Right now Reprezent a community youth station in London sees an uncertain future ahead of them. They supported the careers of Nels Hylton and had provided space for few of the names of those who did the Christmas presenting. Playing new, fresh and exciting music whether thats rap, electronic and indie stuff all curated by their presenters. 

I think the future of the station needs to be seen as the community station of youth culture and should represent that on air. Think the issue with the hot re-occurrences now playlisted on the station with Sophie Ellis-Bextor and previously with Kate Bush the radio 1 playlist and the station itself feels like it’s following after Tik-Tok with it’s playlist not before it.

From looking at the instagram comments from other presenters, it seems the Insta post this morning was the first that a lot of the other presenters also heard about Jordan leaving which is interesting…

Just now, AndyK77 said:

According to The Sun, Jordan has got Capital Breakfast.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/12220988/jordan-norths-new-job-quit-radio-one/

I don't blame him - he will earn more money than he ever will at Radio 1 and he had no guarantee of Breakfast.

Maybe it would be unspoken message to Aled and management that they waited too long to offer him the breakfast programme. I feel that the next breakfast presenters on any of the BBCs radio stations will be asked to take a smaller pay package to their predecessor. Potentially with Jordan if he has signed with Global could end up presenting original podcasts for their network of growing roster. 

yeah it is a shock but it makes sense with the Capital Job. It is unlikely to be a prank now but all I hope is that it is his choice. It would be insane to get rid of him when they know Greg and Matt are going to be going soon and Jordan would be the right person to anchor the station through that period 

7 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Definately, part of me thinks that they should look to do what they are maybe wrongly pursing with the amount of ‘Radio 1 Anthems’ content that is being commissioned, is that right now it’s going down the populist path trying to recreate something that is akin to the commercial sector Radio 2 are doing that with their extra station that could be cast in doubt not just because of Boom Radio’s objections.

Right now Reprezent a community youth station in London sees an uncertain future ahead of them. They supported the careers of Nels Hylton and had provided space for few of the names of those who did the Christmas presenting. Playing new, fresh and exciting music whether thats rap, electronic and indie stuff all curated by their presenters. 

I think the future of the station needs to be seen as the community station of youth culture and should represent that on air. Think the issue with the hot re-occurrences now playlisted on the station with Sophie Ellis-Bextor and previously with Kate Bush the radio 1 playlist and the station itself feels like it’s following after Tik-Tok with it’s playlist not before it.

Yeah absolutely. I do think there is a conversation to be had about the BBC taking a step back and reviewing their target demographics for radio stations. The market is just completely different to what it was 10-20 years. I would question whether they should even have an age-based approach for this now. I’m late 20s and love radio 1, and when I speak to my teenage relatives most of them simply aren’t engaged with radio as a format anymore which is sad. It’s also worth noting that they listen to music from a way wider arrange of decades than I did at their age.

I think the launch of the new station is a good move and would help fill that current (in my opinion huge) audience gap between radio 1 and radio 2 in terms of the music played and the demographic in 30-45 year olds currently not served. But they have an impossible challenge getting teenage listeners in, I really feel for them.

Just now, shippp said:

yeah it is a shock but it makes sense with the Capital Job. It is unlikely to be a prank now but all I hope is that it is his choice. It would be insane to get rid of him when they know Greg and Matt are going to be going soon and Jordan would be the right person to anchor the station through that period 

I think unless a it’s April the 1st, which feels international don’t do a serious PR announcement day, it could be fake but no P.R team would allow something like this to be reported on national news sources, Burnley local press … without it being true.

5 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I think unless a it’s April the 1st, which feels international don’t do a serious PR announcement day, it could be fake but no P.R team would allow something like this to be reported on national news sources, Burnley local press … without it being true.

yeah that's what I think it has to be real unless they are really trying to mess with people. Which I think is unlikely. So assumption its that Jordan wanted to go and its either Capital Breakfast, a big job at Bauer and/or something big on TV that would require a big commitment 

If true, it is feeling like contingency plans of post-Greg, whenever that is, being put on the table and Jordan’s name not being in it and he landed them with an ultimatum. Jordan can stand on his own, so him landing Capital gig to make him part of a trio just seems like a mistake

1 minute ago, Jbb said:

Yeah absolutely. I do think there is a conversation to be had about the BBC taking a step back and reviewing their target demographics for radio stations. The market is just completely different to what it was 10-20 years. I would question whether they should even have an age-based approach for this now. I’m late 20s and love radio 1, and when I speak to my teenage relatives most of them simply aren’t engaged with radio as a format anymore which is sad. It’s also worth noting that they listen to music from a way wider arrange of decades than I did at their age.

I think the launch of the new station is a good move and would help fill that current (in my opinion huge) audience gap between radio 1 and radio 2 in terms of the music played and the demographic in 30-45 year olds currently not served. But they have an impossible challenge getting teenage listeners in, I really feel for them.

It is I think within senior management of it’s youth station I do feel that as you hint that BBC needs to ensure it doesn’t discriminate against age but do think that in the board of management, commissioning giving the direction of programming, content, events and playlisting there needs to feel that multi-generational representation. Why I think if the station were to be too concerned with experience in certain positions at the station would be an issue.

I’d argue with the current slate of radio 1 presenters like Clara Amfo (Although out-going), Ricky, Melvin, Charlie, Greg, Matt, Mollie, Jamie all fit in the age demographic of 30-45 years Hits Radio, Kiss and Kisstory are names commercially who try to fill that gap. It depends on who specifically are you talking about in these demographics aren’t represented and how.

I will critique that if Radio 1 were more focused on not signing those who already were signed with commercial radio in senior roles or are celebrities from television e.g with Ricky, Melvin and Charlie as an example of commercial and don’t see how Jamie Leing is a pull for a younger demographic. If it realised that it can still lose some listeners numbers but if focused on deliver something that could try to music wise get ahead of new artists and the music young generations would have found on Tik-Tok but focus on just not seeing them on Tik-Tok and trying to have programmes and podcasts that can discuss things of the demographics that the station should be reaching out to. I think they don’t have to pouch content creators to present radio 1’s radio programmes but if they had people who develop tik-tok, instagram content that is successful in younger generations they should look to hire to produce digital social media content for the radio 1 social media channel and look to see how the station needs to rethink its social media strategy.

Though it would be big for capital, they could finally actually have something to back up them being a national and not just London and South east station. Having the relatable Northern guy on their Breakfast show to make a point that its not just a London station that's been forcibly expanded by buying up other local stations. Its actually national, Vick being on it and being Northern would have helped but (most of the time) she doesn't have a noticeable Geordie accent so you wouldn't know 

3 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

It is I think within senior management of it’s youth station I do feel that as you hint that BBC needs to ensure it doesn’t discriminate against age but do think that in the board of management, commissioning giving the direction of programming, content, events and playlisting there needs to feel that multi-generational representation. Why I think if the station were to be too concerned with experience in certain positions at the station would be an issue.

I’d argue with the current slate of radio 1 presenters like Clara Amfo (Although out-going), Ricky, Melvin, Charlie, Greg, Matt, Mollie, Jamie all fit in the age demographic of 30-45 years Hits Radio, Kiss and Kisstory are names commercially who try to fill that gap. It depends on who specifically are you talking about in these demographics aren’t represented and how.

I will critique that if Radio 1 were more focused on not signing those who already were signed with commercial radio in senior roles or are celebrities from television e.g with Ricky, Melvin and Charlie as an example of commercial and don’t see how Jamie Leing is a pull for a younger demographic. If it realised that it can still lose some listeners numbers but if focused on deliver something that could try to music wise get ahead of new artists and the music young generations would have found on Tik-Tok but focus on just not seeing them on Tik-Tok and trying to have programmes and podcasts that can discuss things of the demographics that the station should be reaching out to. I think they don’t have to pouch content creators to present radio 1’s radio programmes but if they had people who develop tik-tok, instagram content that is successful in younger generations they should look to hire to produce digital social media content for the radio 1 social media channel and look to see how the station needs to rethink its social media strategy.

Yeah it does feel that a radio station that exists as a youth outlet is having trouble finding a purpose and identity when most young people don't and will not want to listen to radio