Unofficial Mills

Who will replace Annie Nightingale?

onlyME

It seems hard to work out who would be more prestigious to take over such an important broadcaster. I guess the question is whether the show is as important as it once was or whether existing shows do some of that work already? Either way my money is on Charlie Tee if there's a short-term change.

2 hours ago, LemmeRant said:

This is quite a tasteless topic to start discussing. Annie died only 4 days ago. I know fantasy schedules and predicting future schedules is the norm on this site, but this comes across as quite disrespectful. 

Totally agree, I know that the station and the listeners would want to keep things tasteful and respectful definately think the forum should be the same. I’m sure Aled and the station will over the weeks ahead will get the tone right and will do right in how they honour her legacy. 

Sorry that this has caused offence. I don't think we can pretend there's a hole in the schedule and somebody has to fill it, shorter term or longer term, I am not interested in 'fantasy' threads but I am interested in who might be able to champion new dance acts. She leaves massive shoes to fill.

I am as sad as any other listener about losing Annie, but I don't think she was the sort of person who wanted a period of mourning.

11 minutes ago, onlyME said:

Sorry that this has caused offence. I don't think we can pretend there's a hole in the schedule and somebody has to fill it, shorter term or longer term, I am not interested in 'fantasy' threads but I am interested in who might be able to champion new dance acts. She leaves massive shoes to fill.

I am as sad as any other listener about losing Annie, but I don't think she was the sort of person who wanted a period of mourning.

She may not have wanted a period of mourning or we may have thought. but it wont be a priority for a permanent ‘replacement’ in the short term and thus why I think its pointless speculation when the station would wish to think of its listeners and the listeners of Annie Nightingale’s show in remembering and reflecting on her career and the show that she founded and the legacy that lies ahead. When the inevitable schedule change occurs in the long terms I expect they will be wise enough to not use the words of replacement. 

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

When the inevitable schedule change occurs in the long terms I expect they will be wise enough to not use the words of replacement. 

Which was my original point... I think there will be a fresh look at the new music and dance output. I don't relish the idea, nor do I care for fantasy schedules. 

I think Radio 1 will basically just look to fill the gap with whatever is as close as can be, stay quiet about it and see where it goes. And that's the appropriate way to do it imo. As I mentioned in the main thread. When John Peel died in 2004, they put Rob Da Bank into that slot. Not as a replacement, as there couldn't ever be one really. But that fell into place and he was there for a while. The same may happen again, except without Rob Da Bank. 

on the grid.

19 minutes ago, HumphreyAppleby said:

Pre recorded I think as Martha said "We've gathered your messages over the last few days but don't send any more because we can't see them". Still, good show. You can tell Annie & Martha had a good bond. 

I think a part of Annie Nighingale’s ability of getting a long career at Radio 1 is that the ability to build good bonds in her 53 years at the station she has probably had over a hundred of producers working on her show not even including the colleagues in the building. She seemed very encouraging and nurturing and co-operative finding ways of give the right advise and saying the right words and helping along the way. I can’t imagine her ever being difficult when Matt Edmonson talked about Radio 1 as family and how she was at the core of the Radio 1 family I feel like Annie would include Martha and the behind the scenes crew in that.