Unofficial Mills

Grimmy returns to radio

Jono

13 hours ago, NathanS said:

Hopefully he might pop back up on a BBC station soon like Radio 2 or 6 Music. Nice to see him returning to the airwaves though.

He's not going to go to Virgin and then come back to the BBC so soon is he? Maybe years down the line but he's more likely to get a permanent slot on Virgin before he comes back to the BBC.

5 hours ago, UnofficialStark said:

Grimmy seems to have settled in quite well on Virgin

Didn't realise Grimmy was on today, would have tuned in.

Have heard a clip where he keeps talking up Cinch, bit of a difference from his R1 days!

3 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Been catching some of NG on Virgin, and he's way more eloquent & engaging than I remember him being, in the last few years on R1 ... 

I listened back to some of him on Monday and it was a decent listen.  He actually brought me back to Radio 1 when he was on Breakfast after finding Moyles unlistenable in his later years.  Though I found the show a bit tired by the end and was glad when Greg took over.

Grimmy on Radio 1 Drive was always a bit flat and "going through the motions".  Vick and Jordan are such a world apart,

I didn't realise Virgin played pop music from the last few decades, I still assumed it was like a version of Absolute Radio based on some of the indie-sounding presenters like Ricky Wilson and (previously) Edith Bowman. So I've learned something this week.

I think Sinead is a good co-presenter, if he returns to radio he'll probably want her to join him.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

I didn't realise Virgin played pop music from the last few decades ...

There is a fair range of oldie to more recent. The great 'Weekends' by Freya Ridings gets a good airing, for example (something that GHR wouldn't go near).  Only complaint is that the 'oldie' selections need varying more - I've never heard any other Michael Jackson record than 'Black Or White' on there, for instance ....

And whilst we're talking about Ricky Wilson - He's really under-whelming on his own - He was great when he had Gaby Roslin to bounce off ....

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, Old Codger Fan said:

There is a fair range of oldie to more recent. The great 'Weekends' by Freya Ridings gets a good airing, for example (something that GHR wouldn't go near).  Only complaint is that the 'oldie' selections need varying more - I've never heard any other Michael Jackson record than 'Black Or White' on there, for instance ....

And whilst we're talking about Ricky Wilson - He's really under-whelming on his own - He was great when he had Gaby Roslin to bounce off ....

Saying GHR wouldn't go near isn't really saying much, their playlist is not capable of having anything from this century by design or of having. But yeah Virgin is one of the main commercial stations in that competing for Older Radio 1 listeners and younger Radio 2 ones. Hits radio sorta is there too on 

Seconded on that, even Boom plays 21st Century Music! Boom! From when it has been on when at older relatives the adverts are a dead giveaway who it is for as they are all targeted at 65+ people. But the fact that a station that entirely exists for pensioners has a more current music policy than what is supposed to be a station with a large audience across a reasonably wide age range.  Boom doesn't play much "current music" but George Ezra and stuff like that iirc from what I know but the fact it plays any is sort of damning on the entire format of GHR. I wouldn't voluntarily listen to any commercial radio but Virgin is definitely one of the better options