Unofficial Mills

Ken Bruce leaves Radio 2

DC

6 hours ago, Jono said:

Full story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756

Could be an opportunity to move Jeremy Vine's show to earlier in the day and give Scott an extra hour? Let the speculation begin...

I hope so. Got a new job which includes driving about a lot and I've really been enjoying Scott's show whilst on the move. Most I've listened to him again since around 2007/8.

I don't mind Ken Bruce, pop master is pretty good. And to do the stint he's done is admirable. But there have been times where I have drifted away from his show and over to other stations sometimes. I know he's off to poorest hits. I'd rather drink paint than listen to that, and their anti under 40's audience.

on the grid.

1 minute ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Feel free to place a bet ?

I haven't got a scoobie how this plays out ...

I mean it’s only one or two shows switch around like any other presenter. BBC found a way to switch Scott and Steve around last year and they knew it was coming but only now when 

5 minutes ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Feel free to place a bet ?

I haven't got a scoobie how this plays out ...

I think will be simple as someone like Jo and Trevor slipping in to the slot new evening slow. Taking bit of a knock in the RAJARs come autumn and winter and just keep on moving Radio 2 and all Radio is always on air. People say its death of a station and throw hyperbole with changes but know it Moises on

7 minutes ago, Old Codger Fan said:

^ Your analysis is basically 'Nothing to see here', then ^

I think R2 is going to take a significant knock - especially if they don't get the replacement right ...

I mean they know for most listeners they wont have the ‘right presenter’ and over the next few years will go down by a million or two over a period and the BBC cant do Mitch about it and take it for what it is and not over play it

7 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I mean they know for most listeners they wont have the ‘right presenter’ and over the next few years will go down by a million or two over a period and the BBC cant do Mitch about it and take it for what it is and not over play it

I pretty much think this is true. They won't replace Ken Bruce really, as he's the last in the line of a certain era.

The direction Radio 2 want to push in is what Radio 1 was around the millenium give or take. With probably a touch more 80s. Ken Bruce playing anything newer than that, sounds out of place for him and his listeners. Same way Scott Mills playing the Monkees from the 1960s yesterday, sounded as equally out of place. So something has to give along the line really. 

on the grid.

45 minutes ago, DC said:

I pretty much think this is true. They won't replace Ken Bruce really, as he's the last in the line of a certain era.

The direction Radio 2 want to push in is what Radio 1 was around the millenium give or take. With probably a touch more 80s. Ken Bruce playing anything newer than that, sounds out of place for him and his listeners. Same way Scott Mills playing the Monkees from the 1960s yesterday, sounded as equally out of place. So something has to give along the line really. 

Right about that it’s a new age for the industry and think it maybe good for the BBC and Radio 2 for this change. As theory is that they know that Radio 2 wont always be on top and the cost of being on top is too high for retaining the old 2 and the unique way BBC is its in its nature that its got to accept competition and not be Uber-competitive and give something unique for a audience

Massive news not just for Radio 2 but for all of Radio. Well kept secret aswell for nothing to get out especially with the move to Greatest Hits. 

Excited to see who gets the show my money is on either Jo or Trevor or they go with a complete reshuffle of shows and times and have Zoe take over with a new Breakfast host.

I also think Gary would be a great replacement or even Vernon?

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I think R2 is going to take a significant knock - especially if they don't get the replacement right ...

9 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Massive news not just for Radio 2 but for all of Radio. Well kept secret aswell for nothing to get out especially with the move to Greatest Hits. 

Excited to see who gets the show my money is on either Jo or Trevor or they go with a complete reshuffle of shows and times and have Zoe take over with a new Breakfast host.

I would say the odds of Zoe and new breakfast host are slim. Think Gary is listeners favourite or twitters favourite. Trevor or Jo will be the most likely favourites with odds on either. Think you right well kept secret bit of surprise and think with more news ahead. Good work and smart stuff from Ben Cooper. The ‘Greatest Hits Radio’ brand name is becoming a formidable brand and can imagine a massive marketing campaign ahead. It most certainly is big news for radio and with the exodus of names leaving the BBC and if Steve Wright does join him there then means an interesting RAJAR ahead of the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

9 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

I would say the odds of Zoe and new breakfast host are slim. Think Gary is listeners favourite or twitters favourite. Trevor or Jo will be the most likely favourites with odds on either. Think you right well kept secret bit of surprise and think with more news ahead. Good work and smart stuff from Ben Cooper. The ‘Greatest Hits Radio’ brand name is becoming a formidable brand and can imagine a massive marketing campaign ahead. It most certainly is big news for radio and with the exodus of names leaving the BBC and if Steve Wright does join him there then means an interesting RAJAR ahead of the end of the year.

Massive news in the radio world. Radio 2 will miss Ken that’s for sure - a great who makes it all sound so easy and has continued to sound as strong as ever in recent years. Many won't remember that slot on Radio 2 without Ken Bruce. With Scott leaving Radio 1 last year then Ken leaving Radio 2 this year it feels like the end of an era.

Sadly unsurprisingly Ken’s departure has meant Scott is trending online and being piled on - as if Scott moving to Radio 2 had any impact on Ken leaving. It’s not the case for all of them but certainly a vocal minority of Radio 2 listeners really can hold a grudge and seem to not want Radio 2 to play anything from after the millennium. No doubt too many of the same people who are getting so upset about presenter changes on a radio station are the same sort of people who accuse other people of being 'snowflakes'.

I feel for whoever takes over from Ken on Radio 2 - they'll have big shoes to fill and inevitably the successor of a major show is always compared to the previous presenter (see Nick Grimshaw on Breakfast post-Chris Moyles) - ideally you want to be the person after the successor.

As for who that successor will be, Jo Whiley or Gary Davies both feel probably the safest choices - well known to Radio 2 listeners and both long enough away now from Radio 1 to avoid being viewed as (gasp!) 'another ex-Radio 1 presenter' (the horror!).  An outside shout might be OJ Borg or Vernon Kay - both of whom seem to be fairly popular when they've done cover duty on daytime before.

Interesting times ahead though at Radio 2.

6 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Massive news in the radio world. Radio 2 will miss Ken that’s for sure - a great who makes it all sound so easy and has continued to sound as strong as ever in recent years. Many won't remember that slot on Radio 2 without Ken Bruce. With Scott leaving Radio 1 last year then Ken leaving Radio 2 this year it feels like the end of an era.

Sadly unsurprisingly Ken’s departure has meant Scott is trending online and being piled on - as if Scott moving to Radio 2 had any impact on Ken leaving. It’s not the case for all of them but certainly a vocal minority of Radio 2 listeners really can hold a grudge and seem to not want Radio 2 to play anything from after the millennium. No doubt too many of the same people who are getting so upset about presenter changes on a radio station are the same sort of people who accuse other people of being 'snowflakes'.

Bang on. We all get how Scott Mills might not be for everyone and its tough to accept change if this has been daily company for decades. But things change and shouldn’t harshly critique those who have no power and just serving an audience. He’s different from Steve if they dont like what they hear just don’t listen.

It is indeed massive news, and a huge blow to the BBC. Fair play to Bauer and Greatest Hits Radio for signing him up (and importantly Popmaster going with him) for what is effectively the same timeslot. It's news that probably took R2/the BBC by surprise. From Ken's insistence it's his choice... And the fact it's not long since Steve left the afternoon show, it's clear that GHR indeed poached him rather than them choosing to get rid.

There could be a number of factors at play, but I doubt Helen Thomas wouldn't have chosen to take him off that slot just yet. His contract was up in March, and it would've been likely it was renewed by at least another year but, maybe the offer was too good to refuse. Best leaving on a high and of your own accord now rather than outstay your welcome and have the decision made for you further down the line. Although it might be a bit of a blow to R2, especially so soon after the last major changes were made.. it does make things easier for them to press on with evolving the station. It's clear the direction Radio 2 is going in (and it's not necessarily a bad thing, they've been gradually moving towards their current daytime sound for a few years now.. it's just more noticeable now) and Ken's show..both presenting style and music played.. has stuck out compared to the other daytime shows.

Once he gets started at GHR in April..It'll be a bit of a waste if he's not allowed a bit more room to put a stamp on things (like Simon Mayo at Drive time), mid mornings are very much generic commercial radio "That was, next up", three in a row..30 second links mostly about the Cash Register competition. The addition of PopMaster will be a massive improvement to the slot already. It's sounds like they're sticking with the 70's, 80's and 90's thing so...Would be good if they give him similar freedom to play a few lesser played tracks from those decades alongside the usual overplayed hits, like he does currently. 

For what it's worth, despite many cries online of "Radio 2 will die now" or "nobody will listen", It will likely still remain the most listened to station, and like with Scott's show and the other changes, the direction the station is heading in will attract many more listeners (many of which may well be those who have migrated from Radio 1 with Scott). I doubt Ken will take all 8 million listeners with him, although whoever replaces him will undoubtedly have huge shoes to fill taking over the most listened to slot in the UK. 

Sorry for the long winded essay.

Here's a quote I found online on a daily fail post. Some boomer I have added (not for much longer) posted on there. Word for word. 

"It's the BBC in general, trying to make radio all for younger listeners. Thing is they all listen to Spotify anyway and don't listen to radio, plus how many of these younger listeners pay the liscence fee? Very very few I bet"

This is Radio 2 we are talking about. They don't have much interest in pulling in people under 30 really. So those people even just over that mark, that could have kids, mortgages, full time jobs etc. All listen to Spotify and don't pay the liscence fee? Piss off.

I'm 34 years old and have never had Spotify, never bothered. And I cant be arsed to Bluetooth my phone into every vehicle I drive all the time. And paying liscence fees? Behave.

Ive seen too much of these entitled pricks about these days. Simply because they had their best years 30 to 40 years ago, they think they own the world and nobody else should have a turn. The good thing is in another 10 or 20 years we won't have to put up with their bs as they won't be here to voice it frankly. 

That sounded like a proper circa 2001 Chris Moyles rant. Like him, I'm a lot more mellow nowdays but these types are really annoying me.

on the grid.

I don't understand this entitlement that certain things need to stay the same to suit some people I guess until they die.  One of the "oldies" stations in NYC decided to stop playing Sinatra and other Standards in the early oughts and some people lost their ever loving minds.  

3 hours ago, DC said:

Here's a quote I found online on a daily fail post. Some boomer I have added (not for much longer) posted on there. Word for word. 

"It's the BBC in general, trying to make radio all for younger listeners. Thing is they all listen to Spotify anyway and don't listen to radio, plus how many of these younger listeners pay the liscence fee? Very very few I bet"

This is Radio 2 we are talking about. They don't have much interest in pulling in people under 30 really. So those people even just over that mark, that could have kids, mortgages, full time jobs etc. All listen to Spotify and don't pay the liscence fee? Piss off.

I'm 34 years old and have never had Spotify, never bothered. And I cant be arsed to Bluetooth my phone into every vehicle I drive all the time. And paying liscence fees? Behave.

Ive seen too much of these entitled pricks about these days. Simply because they had their best years 30 to 40 years ago, they think they own the world and nobody else should have a turn. The good thing is in another 10 or 20 years we won't have to put up with their bs as they won't be here to voice it frankly. 

That sounded like a proper circa 2001 Chris Moyles rant. Like him, I'm a lot more mellow nowdays but these types are really annoying me.

Just had this out with Liz Kershaw on Twitter and i said i dont care how old a presenter is they can be 30 or 70 on Radio and i will give it a listen, im 32 and so passionate about radio and i added that i pay a licence fee also LOL

5 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Just had this out with Liz Kershaw on Twitter and i said i dont care how old a presenter is they can be 30 or 70 on Radio and i will give it a listen, im 32 and so passionate about radio and i added that i pay a licence fee also LOL

She’ll spout any old shite. I find that broadcasters of Fi Glover and Jane Garvey, Tom Robinson are as know of older generation but are still at superb comedy. Think younger audiences can be open to listening to a broadcaster of any age (bit of a generalisation and not 100% true) but says something how radio 1 will have a twenty something to presenters like Pete Tong and Annie Nightingale in sixties and seventies. It shows from those who are aspiring to be and starting out in radio will admirable of the careers of the likes of Tony Blackburn, Ken Bruce and Annie Nightinge