Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 in the event of a blackout

GeekTalk51

Not intending to scaremonger here - power outages over the winter remain unlikely and obviously the various dynamics at play are off topic for this forum - but from a purely radio perspective would be interested to hear your thoughts as to what BBC Radio, and Radio 1 especially would do, in the event of maybe the 4-7pm rolling weekday blackout scenario named as a possible worst case some point over the winter - I know the Guardian reported there would be a “music service” going out on FM and AM, maybe an old school blend of Radios 1 and 2? 

I suspect in the event of a one off emergency it is basically that - but if the scenario of a controlled and timed  recurring blackout i imagine the schedules would be adapted accordingly - because if you have to simulcast 4-7pm daily for a few weeks maybe Vick and Jordan for example go elsewhere in the evening schedule.

would be interested in other’s thoughts!  

On 12/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, GeekTalk51 said:

Not intending to scaremonger here - power outages over the winter remain unlikely and obviously the various dynamics at play are off topic for this forum - but from a purely radio perspective would be interested to hear your thoughts as to what BBC Radio, and Radio 1 especially would do, in the event of maybe the 4-7pm rolling weekday blackout scenario named as a possible worst case some point over the winter - I know the Guardian reported there would be a “music service” going out on FM and AM, maybe an old school blend of Radios 1 and 2? 

I suspect in the event of a one off emergency it is basically that - but if the scenario of a controlled and timed  recurring blackout i imagine the schedules would be adapted accordingly - because if you have to simulcast 4-7pm daily for a few weeks maybe Vick and Jordan for example go elsewhere in the evening schedule.

would be interested in other’s thoughts!  

I think that it would be the case that Radio 5 Live could easily take a FM frequency of their music station likely Radio 1 or Radio 2 would like it if it was on DAB they kept a relatively normal output with keeping few more news bulletins in later hours just saying for local updates tune in to your local station and the odd bit of Public service information