Unofficial Mills

Cooking

John

I had my lovely cider and chili glazed bbq pork ribs a week back. For the glaze you need brown sugar, cider and fresh chopped chili. Mix together until a paste(ish) is formed. Pour over the ribs and leave to marinade for a while and then cook on the bbq. Make sure you rub on the glaze while cooking them and they will be delightful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/stupid_sexy_flanders/Before.jpg (but they will never be as good as mine :D)

Shopping list

1 pkt Tagliatelle

1 pkt Baby Button Mushrooms

1 pkt Bacon

some broccoli or asparagus

1 jar Virgin olive oil (not only can you cook with it but girls are impressed that you own it)

1 pot soured cream

1 jar Pesto

Sprig of Parsely

To Prepare:

Remove fat from bacon and using kitchen scissors, cut into strips about 1 1/2cm thick (lay them length ways left to right and cut top to bottom), if youve got sharp enough scissors you can do the whole packet in one go.

Break the broccoli into small pieces that won't need much cutting later on, if asparagus you want them about the same length as a Cd is wide (i'm no good with acurate measurements) but keep the tips as they are the best part, cut the other end off if you have to.

Clean the Mushrooms and halve them if necessary.

Pour the soured cream into a bowl and stir in some green pesto until you get a good consistency (use your own judgement for this) ideally it should be a plae green colour, I find about half the pot to be just right.

To Cook.

Note this only takes about 8-10 mins so use your own judgement as to when to add the tagliatelle.

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil (needed later)

Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan and add the bacon, after about 2-3 mins add the mushrooms as well.

When cooked (approw 8-10 mins) drain off any excess fat and add the sauce and simmer for a couple of minutes.

"Blance" the broccoli, this means when the water is boilling plunge it it for about 60-90 seconds. Asparagus is harder so you may need to do this for about 2-3 mins but whichever veg you choose, it should be crunchy not soggy, not like pork crackling crunchy but have enough resistance to be palatable. If you want you can then plunge the veg into a saucepan of ice water but I think that's just poncey.

To Serve

Tagliatelle is like spaghetti in that you don't just pour it onto the plate, use a fork and "lift and separate" (older should understand that reference). Add the Bacon mushroom and sauce and finally place the chosen veg on top. Make it look interesting. For that extra "i'm trying to get lucky" touch once served drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top and round the edge of the plate. Not too much though, thumb over half the end should do it. Lastly add a small sprig of parsley to the centre.

If over 18 serve with a nice Pinot Grigio, if not get fake I.d. and serve with a crappy Pino Grigio.

Additional

If going full out have a starter of salad (most supemarkets do great bagged salads these days) something light and serve with french style dressing and for dessert, on a a day like this and with a medditeranean mean, nothing goes down better than ice cream. Get the classy stuff mind, not 2 litres of neopolitan from iceland.

It's cheap, quick and easy (no jokes about my women please) and done right will make you look like a star. Hope it helps.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

I can't cook at all :-? I can just about manage pasta, boiling vegetables, sticking pizzas in the oven, anything in the microwave etc. But actual cooking, no. I just can't really be bothered, and I find it difficult multitasking when cooking so I have to cook everything entirely separately so a meal takes a lot time.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

The key is preparation. As long as you've got everything ready before you start you should be ok. Then use a timer, work out how long each thing will take and work out what needs to start when.

I used to be crap but I'm getting pretty good these days, however I do still just open a jar, chuck it on meat and put it in the oven from time to time. Or if i'm really lazy just stick a pizza on, or really really lazy "I'd like a Go Go Special with garlic bread and a tub of ice cream please"

Sometimes here, sometimes not.